PDA

View Full Version : Horizontal Milling Attachment for drillmill

Gunsmithing
10-30-2012, 10:01 AM
Has any one ever put a Horizontal Milling Attachment on a small drillmill
I am working one know and was looking for photos can not find any I also look for sale and can only find for bigger mills

Dave

RussZHC
10-30-2012, 03:09 PM
I have not seen or heard of such...in a way however, its the same problem of having a vertical head for a horizontal mill. What I mean is, somehow, you have to change the direction of drive by 90 degrees.
To me the first way would be to tilt the head that amount, possible if there is some sort of knuckle joint that allows that much range. Typically, I think, many of the smaller mills that do tilt only tilt 45 degrees either side of vertical. Others, many of the round column mill/drill(?), have no tilt feature at all.
That means a 90 degree elbow of some design that can transmit the power/drive around a corner, this is often used by larger horizontal mills, a "vertical head". I know the Atlas horizontal mill had a Marvin vertical head which at the time you could buy. It used a system of belts and pulleys to change the horizontal to vertical use.
Take a look on the lathes UK site to get ideas for possible drives. At a guess, I think all are horizontal to vertical but the engineering of the drives could give you ideas.

Edit: to add, it may become so complex or difficult to accomplish that for the amount of use you get, not worth it or the built drive may dictate the capacity is too small to be of much use...not saying it can't work, just consider...

dalee100
10-30-2012, 03:21 PM
Hi

I think HSM magazine ran a build artical this past summer on just such attachment.

dalee

uncle pete
10-30-2012, 03:26 PM
I've got to agree with Russ. If your spindle O.D. on that mill drill is the same size (3.375) as the standard Bridgeport type, the horizontal head by itself will work. But the overall rigidity will suffer. Trying to come up with a full support for anything like a round column mill drill to use the full horizontal attachment could be tough since the standard accessory uses the knee mills ram as one attachment point. The spindle C/L to the column probably won't match up with any standard arbour length. It's not impossible, just tough to do with some custom designed and machined parts.

Pete

ogre
10-30-2012, 06:04 PM
My Van Norman Duplex #2 has the luxery of a vertical and horizontal milling because of a 90 tilting work head. Awesome machine but very rare.

oldtiffie
10-30-2012, 07:39 PM
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa294/oldtiffie/Lathe_misc/Lathemill1.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa294/oldtiffie/Lathe_misc/Lathe2.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa294/oldtiffie/Lathe_misc/AirSmith09.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa294/oldtiffie/Lathe_misc/AirSmith06.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa294/oldtiffie/Lathe_misc/AirSmith04.jpg

Gunsmithing
10-31-2012, 10:20 AM
My quill is 2.4" I have not seen any horizontal attachment for this size. I am know working on drawing for one and was hopping to see Thank you for your input.
If any one would like to know how this is coming please post.

Dave

I've got to agree with Russ. If your spindle O.D. on that mill drill is the same size (3.375) as the standard Bridgeport type, the horizontal head by itself will work. But the overall rigidity will suffer. Trying to come up with a full support for anything like a round column mill drill to use the full horizontal attachment could be tough since the standard accessory uses the knee mills ram as one attachment point. The spindle C/L to the column probably won't match up with any standard arbour length. It's not impossible, just tough to do with some custom designed and machined parts.

Pete

Sun God
11-01-2012, 08:32 AM
Was doing some thinking along these lines just a couple of weeks ago when I was offered a large number of horizontal milling cutters for a reasonable price. My thinking about the Rf-45 dovetail column mills, was a right angle bevel gear drive attached to the spindle in the manner of a Bridgeport right angle head, and then, a dovetailed arbor support casting either attached to the headstock by screws, or, dovetailed onto the column with its own seperate gib. Like what uncle pete suggested, but with an arbor support.

However I realised with the already limited Y travel on a RF-45 type mill, unless the cutter was almost directly under the existing spindle, you would have very little effective Y travel and may be limited to working on only half the table.

uncle pete
11-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Dave,
I can't see why adding a temporary sleeve to your spindle to make up the required diameter would be any problem. Adding it to the inside of the horizontal head might be though. I've read of a few of the castings for these horizontal heads getting broken when people forgot to loosen the center set screw used to expand the bore while mounting it. That set screw needs to be slacked off and the the upper and lower set screws are used to tighten it onto the mills spindle. The castings must be fairly weak in that area.

Pete

Gunsmithing
11-01-2012, 03:14 PM
It is over size for the small mill. I am working on drawing and was hopping to find a set done.

Dave

Dave,
I can't see why adding a temporary sleeve to your spindle to make up the required diameter would be any problem. Adding it to the inside of the horizontal head might be though. I've read of a few of the castings for these horizontal heads getting broken when people forgot to loosen the center set screw used to expand the bore while mounting it. That set screw needs to be slacked off and the the upper and lower set screws are used to tighten it onto the mills spindle. The castings must be fairly weak in that area.

Pete