PDA

View Full Version : Rearranging my shop!

Black Forest
10-31-2012, 01:23 PM
I decided to rearrange my shop. That means moving a 3 ton lathe, a 2 ton horizontal mill, a 1.5 ton universal mill. A 1ton band saw plus all the other equipment and shelving etc., etc..

I feel like a woman. First I put the lathe in one spot. Don't like it there so I move it to a new place. Putting all the big machines in different places just like my wife does with the furniture.

My shop is 10 meters by 20 meters and is on the second floor of our house. I decided to move the machines so they were not directly over thee of our guest rooms. Seems it is quite loud in these rooms when I am hogging metal. The other rooms under are the laundry room a couple of bathrooms and ironing room so they don't matter.

I have been working on this for two days and I am sore in places I didn't know I had. Even though I have the machines all up on blocks and such so I can use a heavy palette wagon. Two on the lathe it is still a lot of work. Tomorrow I will use my excavator to move some things over other things but not anything over 1 ton.

Time to sit in the whirlpool.

wawoodman
10-31-2012, 01:28 PM
There are a couple of women weightlifters at my gym at I certainly wouldn't mess with...

Speaking as a lazy man: Draw your shop on graph paper. Make scale drawings of your tools. Move them around on paper until you're happy with it. Put the machines there. Never look back!

PROPERLY SUPERVISED high school kids make good machinery movers. Or there might be a labor supplier in your town. I'm a big fan of yuppie food stamps (aka $20 bills) when it comes to something like this.

Paul Alciatore
10-31-2012, 02:27 PM
Scale drawing and cardboard cutouts!

LKeithR
10-31-2012, 02:41 PM
My shop is 10 meters by 20 meters and is on the second floor of our house.

Holy crap! Must be some house. I'd like to see some pictures. Does the second floor have ground level access?

Black Forest
10-31-2012, 02:49 PM
Holy crap! Must be some house. I'd like to see some pictures. Does the second floor have ground level access?

Yes it is quite large. And yes I can drive into the shop from one side. My shop was the hay barn that is part of the house. I will look for a picture of how we enter the shop from the outside.

The Artful Bodger
10-31-2012, 02:49 PM

Thats what I was thinking, multi-ton equipment that you can just move around at will and tomorrow you will be driving your excavator around up there?

wierdscience
10-31-2012, 04:21 PM
All he needs to do is organise the efforts of all those Babes he has constantly wandering through his shop:D

BigJohnT
10-31-2012, 04:38 PM
I can relate and I'm still moving things around after moving the VMC from the garage to the shop the other day.

http://gnipsel.com/shop/bp308/images/308-02.jpg

John

duckman
10-31-2012, 04:58 PM
Alright who's watering the tree's

BigJohnT
10-31-2012, 05:07 PM
That's my other brother John who helped me move the VMC. I took the photo and almost thought twice about waiting...

John

sasquatch
10-31-2012, 06:24 PM
I'd like to see a few pics of this shop/house set up also.

Black Forest
11-02-2012, 09:00 AM
Here is a short video of my shop in total disarray! There is still a few bales of hay in the shop because I can't get to them yet to move them out! This was my hay barn and so the walls are not closed. I will hopefully have them closed before the bad weather comes. There is lots of fresh air in there now. Our house is nearly three hundred years old. Built in 1724. The main house has stone walls nearly 1 meter thick. The floor in the shop is built on steel I-beams set at 1 meter intervals and with reinforced concrete in between the I-beams. The floor will hold anything I could possibly put in there.

http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/burnandreturn/th_shopamess.jpg (http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/burnandreturn/shopamess.mp4)

BigJohnT
11-02-2012, 09:25 AM
Pretty cool video, I don't feel so bad about being cramped up in 1000 sq ft now. I wonder how many families have lived in that house since it was built?

John

sasquatch
11-02-2012, 09:27 AM
Thanks BF, yup amazing age of buildings compared to Canada's.

Black Forest
11-02-2012, 09:44 AM
I am having the tile roof replaced soon. The tiles that are on the roof are starting to crumble. I am waiting for bids right now.

We don't know how many families have lived here. We only have the history from the last 150 years. We bought it from a company that sold it because the house required a lot of renovation and they didn't want to invest the money. We bought it and then gutted the interior and rebuilt the complete interior. The house was formally used as a Youth Hostel for 80 years. We bought it from the Youth Hostel company. We have 12 guest rooms and 16 bathrooms. We still host some school classes and groups to give kids a chance to experience life on a horse farm.

Keith_W
11-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Hi Black Forest,
Thats an awesome House you have there... 16 Bathrooms... your poor wife...
You mention a 150 year history, how old is the house. You must find things that have been lost in time, would be great to see more video of the house.

Regards,
Keith_W.

Tamper84
11-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Awesome shop!!!! I love the history that you guys have over there. I have traced my families history to the early 1700s from over there. I forget the name of the town. I would love to go over and see where I came from! Btw...is that a pacemaker lathe there??

Chris

Black Forest
11-02-2012, 03:44 PM
No the lathe is not a pacemaker. It is a Stanko 1k62 made in Russia. I really like the lathe. It lets me cut imperial and metric threads with just a change of a couple of knobs.

As to "poor wife" no way. If I had as much help outside as she has inside our place would look like a golf course.

loose nut
11-02-2012, 06:54 PM
Sounds like it's a B & B.

alanganes
11-02-2012, 09:57 PM
Last time I rearranged my shop (much smaller than yours, though my machines are not quite as large), one of my sons and I moved the milling machine ( a South Bend vertical) part way across the room. We moved a few other things about, then I came to the embarrassing conclusion that the mill really needed to be back where it was in the first place. So we moved it back, where it still sits. That son refers to that as "The Great Mill Migration of '08" with just a touch mild disdain in his voice.

I am amazed BF, that with all of that nice equipment and assorted farm machinery etc., that you have there, that you do not have a forklift capable of moving that stuff around. Might be time...

Late edit: That is a cool building!

Black Forest
11-03-2012, 01:38 AM
Sounds like it's a B & B.

What is a B & B?

mike4
11-03-2012, 01:42 AM
Bed and breakfast, accomodation.
Michael

The Artful Bodger
11-03-2012, 01:44 AM
What is a B & B?

“Zimmer Frei”, maybe. A place, usually small, that provides overnight accommodation for travellers including breakfast, hence "Bed and breakfast" (B & B).

Black Forest
11-03-2012, 04:47 AM
No not a bed & breakfast either. We have a lot of people that come here because of the horses. Some just want to ride out in the Black Forest. Others want to learn to ride.