X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sasquatch
    • May 2006

Rockwell #23-501 grinder?

Today i picked up a Rockwell #23-501 tool grinder that is missing a few parts, got one set of trunnions, found both tables, but am missing the pans under the tables that the trunnions run in.

Anyone have any suggestions where to look here for parts for this grinder.?

Think everything else is there, got the rockwell light, and it is on the cast iron floor stand. Thanks.
  • oldtiffie
    • Nov 1999

Comment

• EddyCurr
      • May 2009

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
      Today i picked up a Rockwell #23-501 tool grinder that is missing a few parts.
      Got one set of trunnions, found both tables, but am missing the pans under the
      tables that the trunnions run in.

Anyone have any suggestions where to look here for parts for this grinder?
      I drew a blank in the spring of 2011 while searching for replacement parts
      for a Rockwell 6" Carbide Tool Grinder (23-501). Happily, repairs were
      sucessfully made to the broken part I had sought to replace.

Here is what the parts I believe you are searching for look like. (If you happen
      to come across an extra OEM plated & knurled tray retaining knob, I will appreciate
      hearing about it.)

Comment

• sasquatch
        • May 2006

thanks eddy for the pics,, and yes if i find those knobs i'll get them for you.
        By the looks of it, i can get away without the pans, i just need the four brackets that support the table trunnions.
        This place i got it from is in a hell of a mess, stuff partly disasembled!

Comment

• EddyCurr
          • May 2009

This bracket?

If so, distribute these photos to those on site - perhaps the missing parts
          will be discovered, recognized and turned over to you instead of landing
          in the dumpster.

Comment

• sasquatch
            • May 2006

Thanks for the pics Eddy, now i know what to look for.
            The place i bought this is a disaster zone, a complete mess, stuff all over the place.

Comment

• flylo
              • Apr 2011

Sasquatch, I have the exact model. I bet the parts are in the mess somewhere,I hope so anyway.

Comment

• sasquatch
                • May 2006

Going back tommorrow with the pics i printed off.

Gotta check through this mess one more time, now that i know what they look like.
                Also hope to find them as in a couple of days, as what is left in this garage,(mostly small stuff,) The guy is going to shovel it all into a scrap steel bin.

Sad situation, but they can't wait any longer apparently!!

Comment

• flylo
                  • Apr 2011

Give them the scrap price & have them shovel into your container, then sort thru it & you sell the scrap, that way nothing of value gets wasted.

Comment

• EddyCurr
                    • May 2009

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
                    ... now I know what to look for.
                    Be aware that there are at least two variations of the Rockwell, each having
                    a different water table/trunnion configuration.

An earlier version is depicted here: Rockwell 6" Grinder (Old Style) (Vintage Machinery)

If your's appears similar to mine, let me know if you need additional views
                    or images of other components.

If you do not already have them, keep your eyes peeled for the black oxide
                    coated T-handled bolts that lock the table to the trunnions.
                    Visible below:

Also watch for the water pot. It mounts on the vertical studs that rise
                    up from the tops of the cast wheel guards at each end of the machine
                    and has a small valve out the bottom to regulate flow. There is an
                    illustration in the Rockwell sheet above.

Lastly, Baldor document "281H Instruction Manual for Baldor Tool Grinders"
                    may offer some useful introductory information.

Comment

• sasquatch
                      • May 2006

Sad to say i had no luck at locating anything more for this grinder.

I spent over two hours on my knees climbing through stuff, checking boxes, gallon tins full of stuff but no luck, nothing, and no handles either.
                      Checked all the shelves, stuff hanging on wires on the ceiling etc.-zero.
                      There is only one more chance, and that could be that the guy that all this was left to, may have these missing items in his garage where he moved truck loads of stuff to.
                      However most of this stuff will not be available to sort untill spring.
                      (Could get "Lucky" then.)

Comment

• sasquatch
                        • May 2006

Forgot to add, i did come away with a bunch of New "Norton" grinding wheels of all shapes, including an unopened case of wheels, (6) the wheels are 6in x 3in x 32Mm.
                        The loose wheels are all new mostly small, all norton mostly cone shaped 3in or so dia, with varying center hole dia.
                        Also did find a set of cast legs C/W the rear motor mount, for i think a 10in Atlas lathe.

Comment

• flylo
                          • Apr 2011

Those legs are worth $300, good find!

Comment

• sasquatch
                            • May 2006

Flylo, i also got the rear motor mount with the legs with S7-108A cast into it.

On the back of the leg is the motor mount base/boss with # 10-445 cast into it.

Maybe i can find someone with a 10 inch Atlas looking for this set up.

Comment

Working...
                            X