PDA

View Full Version : Power feeds for left hand side

Mike Amick
10-31-2012, 10:22 PM
I was looking around at power feeds .. an was wondering if they made
them for the left hand side. My Cincinnati isn't really set up to take one ..
and if I fabricate one onto it .. I will lose the hand crank. I am willing to
sacrifice the left one .. I usually use the right one.

I hope I'm not being a dufuss and someone says that you can put them
all on either side ..

edit .. sorry if it wasn't clear .. I am talking about the x axes

The Artful Bodger
10-31-2012, 10:27 PM
Well I am such a dufuss I didnt know they were 'supposed' to go on the right so I made mine to fit on the left. It works well.

Toolguy
10-31-2012, 11:18 PM
Lyman makes ones that are for the left side. I had one for several years and it was a quality unit that worked well.

browne92
10-31-2012, 11:33 PM
When I ordered my Enco square column with power feed, it showed up with the power feed on the left. I'd have to look at it, but I got a sneakin suspicion it could be made to work from either side.

Didn't realize till you mentioned it, that the power feed on the old BP's I used in school were on the right.

Mike Amick
11-01-2012, 01:02 AM
Well I am such a dufuss I didnt know they were 'supposed' to go on the right so I made mine to fit on the left. It works well.

And you did have to do more than .. walk to the other side of the mill to install it right .. ?

The Artful Bodger
11-01-2012, 01:05 AM
And you did have to do more than .. walk to the other side of the mill to install it right .. ?

Well no, the left end of the mill is closest to the work bench so there was actually less walking to install it at that end!;)

Mike Amick
11-01-2012, 01:43 AM
lol .. I think I am asking if it was actually designed for the right and you
had to do a little fabrication to make it work on the left .. ?

The Artful Bodger
11-01-2012, 02:29 AM
I made mine but considering the question I think there would be some modifications required to mount on the left end, the ends of the mill table look similar enough (at least mine does) but if the power drives I have seen were simply taken and mounted on the other end the controls would be out of reach. IMHO.

Boucher
11-01-2012, 08:16 AM
My first mill came to me with a Lyman on the left and it worked great. Now I have a factory Bridgeport mounted on the right and I like it better but I strongly favor the right side in Dexterity.

Don Young
11-02-2012, 10:19 PM
I am pretty sure that on the Bridgeport the X axis leadscrew is restrained from lengthwise movement on one only end and the other end is floating. I don't recall which is which for sure but I think the right end is fixed. I don't remember whether it is easy to change which end is fixed. One would want to be sure that after installation of power feed that one end was still fixed and the other floating, although it wouldn't matter whether it was the left or right. I think the end with the power feed would need to be fixed to prevent changes in the gear mesh.

Mike Amick
11-02-2012, 11:56 PM
Interesting ... I don't have a BP .. I have a Cincinnati toolmaster. The point of the whole post was
.. if you look at all the power feeds available out there .. they are designed to bolt on the right
hand side. Because I believe I will have to get rid of my hand crank to install one .. I was
saying that I Would like to keep the right hand crank and install the power feed on the left. I was
looking for either an affordable left hand unit ... or people that have converted a right hand unit
to left hand usage.

Don Young
11-03-2012, 10:55 PM
The only power feed I have direct experience is a Servo clone sold by Harbor Freight. Its installation on a Bridgeport does not result in loss of the right hand handle but does require some careful shimming and spacing to get the gear mesh right and not bind the leadscrew. Installation on the left side would seem to be basically the same but the controls would not be convenient.

Is there a reason why a shaft extension or other machining could not let you keep your right side handle?

Hopefully, someone directly familiar with your situation can offer more helpful information.