PDA

View Full Version : 9" S-B that takes 5C collets?

J Tiers
03-13-2004, 07:01 PM
haven't looked at this yet, but there is a fellow who is selling what he says is a 9" rear-drive bench S-B lathe that takes 5C collets. 30" on centers(maybe), QC, etc.
I called him, hoping that what he really has is a heavy 10, and from what he says, he doesn't, but he has me very confused.

The heavy 10 was supposedly an outgrowth of the model "R", which I suppose this might be, but I didn't think that was a large spindle. (but then I did my research on lathes.co.uk, which isn't always reliable....)

Do 9" rear belt drive S-B and 5C collet capacity (via a separate closer) go together?

If so, what do you suppose it is?

The guy is asking 1200, which may or may not be reasonable, depending.

mendoje
03-13-2004, 08:00 PM
The Southbend spec sheet on tooling dimensions show a spindle through hole diameter of 49/64" for the 9", and 55/64" for the 10K, both too small for a 5C collet drawbar. If it is a SBL 9", perhaps it has a 5C collet chuck mounted, kind of like this one: eBay Item number 3803715882. (No affiliation with or recommendation of the seller - just using the picture for reference.)

Al Messer
03-13-2004, 08:52 PM
Maybe it's like my Logan/M-W; takes a 3-AT collet.

Evan
03-13-2004, 08:59 PM
SB9 spindle is MT3

BillH
03-13-2004, 09:05 PM
There were a few 9" Lathes with a 10" headstock on them so they could use 5c Collets. Not all 10" lathes could use 5c collets though. More common on ones exported to England I hear. Perhaps it is one of those rare ones. I have a collar for 3c collets for mine.

JCHannum
03-13-2004, 10:27 PM
There is a 9" Series R with 2-1/4"-8 spindle that takes a 1" collet. Possibly it is one of these. It should be a large machine like the heavy 10, with double wall apron and other niceties. $1200 is not unreasonable given decent condition and some tooling. It might be a highly valuable collector lathe too??
www.southbendlathes.com (http://www.southbendlathe.com) Go to the production dates and look at Series R.

[This message has been edited by JCHannum (edited 03-13-2004).]

J Tiers
03-14-2004, 01:59 AM
JC, that is obviously it. Someone else also pointed me at that.

Made for a year back in the 30's, eh?

I didn't even bother looking for the SBL site, as I "knew" that SBL was kaput dead, gone, history.

I did notice that nowhere on that site could I find any mention where they are, or who they really are.

I think I'll keep the 10" changegear Logan a while longer.

If it were a heavy 10 I would have gone to see it. But to step back to a 9" and to lose the use of almost every last scrap of my tooling, nah.

Evan
03-14-2004, 02:09 AM
J,

It isn't too hard to figure out that area code 574 is still in South Bend, Indiana.

J Tiers
03-14-2004, 02:21 AM
I wasn't that motivated.....shouldn't need so much investigation. Plus, I could get a phone number in South Bend, and be able to answer it here in St Louis....or Calcutta.

But why are the site proprietors, whoever they are, so secretive?

Last I heard, SBL was indeed dead, finally, with parts support going to LeBlond.

I did hear of some effort to start up again, but..............

John Stevenson
03-14-2004, 08:48 AM
Although South Bend is dead in the US the SB lathes were made here under licence by Boxfords who are still going abeit a few name changes. Last one I believe is Denford although they sem to call the manual lathes Boxfords and the cnc's Denfords.
I friend of mine has a late Boxfored out of a school that looks very modern indeed but it's not on the lathes web site.
Just found the web site http://www.boxford.co.uk
They only list one manual lathe now the 330, The rest are all CNC or CNC trainers.

John S.

JCHannum
03-14-2004, 09:19 AM
South Bend is alive and sort of kicking. They sold out a large part of their operation a year or so ago, and have reorganized. They are still making 10" lathes and some others. They are still in south Bend in the old Studebaker plant.
LeBlond has taken over some of the operation and production, and was handling spare parts.
I went to the auction, and the plant was among the dirtiest places I have been to.
I like their machines, but you would not believe a precision machine could come out of a plant like that.

ERBenoit
03-14-2004, 12:13 PM
My South Bend 9" underneath motor driven floor lathe takes 5C collets, full range of sizes. It has the 2 1/4"-8 spindle thread. Thru spindle bore of 1 3/8". Evan, are you sure that the spindle taper is #3 MT? I have the center adapters and 5C collet adapters for the lathe that I have. They are not morse taper. I inquired from South Bend when I acquired the lathe, I was told that the spindle taper is unique and propriatary to South Bend Lathe. I have to beleive them as morse taper centers (headstock only)do not fit my lathe without the adapters. (See post "Herb W a 159Z is.....). Probably on page 3 or 4 by now.

BillH
03-14-2004, 12:19 PM
Actually they are in a DIfferent building in South Bend now, no longer in the Studebaker plant, as they ran into trouble with taxes yada yada yda. I called them on the phone and asked them all these questions awhile back, as I was confused as well.

BillH
03-14-2004, 12:21 PM
ER, only the 1 1/2 x 8 spindle's are MT3, yours is proprietary.

ERBenoit
03-14-2004, 03:13 PM
I had assumed when I was told the situation of spindle taper, that the taper was the same regardless of the size of the machine. My apologis for any confusion. Thanks for filling me in on something I did not know. Does anyone know where I can find out the history of my 159Z? The SBL website does not even mention a Z model.

[This message has been edited by ERBenoit (edited 03-14-2004).]

kgarver
03-14-2004, 05:17 PM
A quick search of the internet @ www.southbendlathe.com (http://www.southbendlathe.com) got me this:

To order service parts for your South Bend Lathe and Dynablast, you must CONTACT LeBlond Ltd. Our mailing address, phone numbers and e-mail address are as follows:

LeBlond Ltd.

3976 Bach Buxton Road

Amelia, Ohio 45102

Phone http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//frown.gif888) 532-5663

Fax http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//frown.gif513) 943-0101

Email: dengle@leblondusa.com

Now LeBlond can provide quality part supports for your South Bend lathe and Dynablast as it does for LeBlond and Standard Modern lathes, Johnson Press, Deka Drill and W.F. & John Barnes equipment. Please browse our website, give us a call at (888) 532-5663 or send us an e-mail request from the CONTACT page.

Call toll free: 1 (888) 532-5663
Email us: LeBlondInfo@leblondusa.com
Send mail to webmaster@clevespace.com with questions or comments about this web site.
Copyright © 1998-2002 Clevespace Interactive, inc. for LeBlond, Ltd.

I was told by the kind folks at SBL that LeBlond bought out the spare parts contract and is now SBL's pats outlet. This happened about two years ago.

When you call for parts or information get the "experienced lady" that moved from South Bend when the part were transfered down there. Sorry I forgot her name. She told me that she was with SBL for almost 20 years. The other "parts people" can read English but can't tell you a part number W/O the serial number off of the machine. I found them to less than useless!

Also try contacting the SBL users group. They have over 1600 members and they will have all kinds of info on your machine I'd wager.

BTW I was searching for a thread dial for my buddies 10" Heavy and it was $325 + S&H two years ago. Be prepared to get quotes right out of fantsy land on their parts!