PDA

View Full Version : Fluid Question?

flylo
11-01-2012, 01:44 PM
HFR-220 Hydraulic Fluid. Does anyone know if this will burn OK in a waste oil furnace?

Fasttrack
11-01-2012, 02:52 PM
What's special about HFR-220? The waste oil heaters I am familiar with burn motor oil, transmission fluid/hydraulic fluid, etc. Typically, the manufacturer recommends mixing hydraulic fluid with motor oil. A mixture of 25% hydraulic fluid is ok but I believe there are legal restrictions on burning brake fluid.

Willy
11-01-2012, 05:28 PM
I would not think so.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought HFR meant Hydraulic Fire Resistant.
If it is fire resistant it may cause problems with the burner if the ratio of HFR to conventional oils is relatively high. Five gallons in a 250 gallon tank won't be a problem but the other way around will definitely cause issues.
Key word here is fire resistant, it's not fire proof. These fluids are often used in safety sensitive locations like certain types of mines, aircraft, etc.

Fasttrack
11-01-2012, 05:33 PM
I would not think so.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought HFR meant Hydraulic Fire Resistant.

Ah! Thanks. I didn't know what HFR meant. Sounds like you definitely don't want to burn it.

Willy
11-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Five gallons in a 250 gallon tank won't be a problem..........

I take that back!

Not sure of exactly what you have Flylo, but after taking a quick look in some of my old Imperial Oil literature, that I should know like a book, I change my mind.
I used to do this for sort of thing for years on end...a looong time ago. I should know better than to rely on memory.:)

Anyway most of the fire resistant/retardant hydraulic fluids that we handled were either phosphate esters or water glycol based.

flylo
11-01-2012, 07:24 PM
Willy, so It will work, or not? I could not find much on it but was afraid HFR might mean "hyraulic fire resistant" but wasn't sure. Please let me know, Thanks!

jdunmyer
11-01-2012, 07:46 PM
Flylo,
Why don't you just try to burn some of it? Pour a bit on a bonfire and see what happens, does it put the fire out, or does the fire flare up?

Willy
11-01-2012, 07:49 PM
NO.
If it's Metlube HFR 220 it is an ester/polyol-ester fluid and is non-flammable.

flylo
11-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Thanks Willy, There go's my free heat! LOL

Willy
11-01-2012, 09:16 PM
It's too bad you can't use it.
I'm not sure how much you have at your disposal or what condition it's currently in, but it is a very expensive product when new. Probably at least 6-8 times more so than petroleum based fluids.
Depending of course on quantity, it still may be of value if you can find a buyer that can accommodate the product. You may want to do a little research on local markets if you have a substantial volume.

flylo
11-01-2012, 09:21 PM
I can get probably 1500-2000 gallons a year, really wish it would burn.

Dr Stan
11-01-2012, 09:42 PM
If this is a hydraulic fluid containing phosphate ester I recommend reading this: http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxprofiles/tp202-c1.pdf

The military and I assume airlines use flame resistant hydraulic fluid to reduce the chance of it igniting and becoming a second source of flammable material. So, I'd pass on the oil as it will not burn as you want.

flylo
11-01-2012, 10:27 PM
I'm glad I asked before taking it,Thanks!

bob_s
11-01-2012, 10:49 PM
It sounds like it would be an ideal fluid to use in circulated heat exchanger, like the hot water systems, but it would be less likely to cause corrosion, or freeze damage a system.