PDA

View Full Version : Headstock taper adapter for southbend 9

bearing
11-02-2012, 04:50 AM
Anyone know where I can obtain a headstock taper adapter for southbend 9. I would like to mount a dead center in the headstock.
thanks

Arcane
11-02-2012, 06:22 AM
Welcome to the forum, bearing.

Without knowing where you live it's difficult to suggest a vendor that would be a good choice for you. You could try one of the companies that advertise on this site though.

big job
11-02-2012, 06:39 AM
Ok If I am correct your headstock should be a MT3. It would be nice to obtain a MT3
dead center and also a MT3 to MT2 and a MT2 dead center. Most likely not found in a
local hardware store. If like me I hate mail orders but thats the only way. If you are
in a bind and need it now, this will work bear with me I got a hard time converting words
into material. Chuck up a short round and simply turn it to a 60* point with the
compound method. Now you have to extend the dog drive tang as to drive the tang
off a chuck jaw. Now you can turn between centers "but" dont unchuck it till the job is
done because it cant be acurately be rechucked but save it (in the draw) the next time
you need it - rechuck and skim face another 60* angle. (skim cut) so its back true
again. Thats just a fast cheap way out. Also any round stock will work even brass,
because its not a revolving friction point. So you have a dead center with no taper.
15 Min. project the most.

duckman
11-02-2012, 08:52 AM
What big job said, but I usually turn a step on 1 end and then put that end in the chuck and then turn your 60 taper, by doing that it can't slip into the chuck.

browne92
11-02-2012, 02:29 PM
Big Job is correct, MT3. Mine just so happen to come with an MT2 dead center and a MT3 adapter sleeve.

Boucher
11-03-2012, 09:43 AM
Any old MT3 drill can become a donor to fabricate your center in place. Chop it off and you may need to anneal the end before turning the 60 point.

bearing
11-04-2012, 03:15 AM
Big Job,
Thanks for the suggestion and direction, I turned a piece of 5/8 and made one.

big job
11-04-2012, 06:12 AM
Ecellent, just make sure you save it. My reason for that is one of my lathes takes a
MT6 and I cant afford that. I was told that just my tailstock live center was a $900
item for this lathe.