PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Mr Key

John Stevenson
11-03-2012, 06:43 AM
Well to give him his full name it's Mr Four Key.
He was born in the Hyster fork truck factory sometime in the late 1970's and presumably had an easy life with his first owners with being new.

How many owners he then had I have no idea but I bought this about 10 years ago in rather a sorry state. No brakes, handbrake cable missing and one cell of the batteries linked out as it has blown up thru being charged up the wrong way.

But hey it worked, lifted 3/4 of a tonne and was small enough to go thru a standard door being 28" wide and 6' 2" tall.

I have no reason not to believe that the batteries are not original seeing as they have over spray on them and look that old.
Brakes still don't work [ got reverse :D ] and now down to having three cells linked out but it won't accept any charge at all. :(

Batteries are not an option given that the scrap price of batteries is so high. I paid 440 for this 10 years ago, S/H battery pack is liable to be around 600 and the truck will still be 40+ years old with no brakes so it's time to do a tiffie.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/forky.jpg

Didn't realise just how old as in the picture the old green van is visible, had the later red van over 10 years.

Local scrap yard reckon it will weigh in for 300 so 140 running costs over 10 years isn't bad, don't use it a lot, probably only 2 or 3 times a week now.

Going to see a new, well S/H, truck this afternoon.

R.I.P. 4Key

Peter.
11-03-2012, 06:57 AM
You wouldn't need a new battery if you just got a really long extension lead. If you made it just long enough to reach the road you wouldn't need breaks either...

Black Forest
11-03-2012, 07:16 AM
I wish I was closer and in the same country. I would buy just the mast from you for 300!

flylo
11-03-2012, 07:18 AM
Sell the hydraulics,mast & forks seperate & get more than you have in it. Farmers here love to mont them to tractors. Or some one may want to make a shop crane. Just an idea.

Black_Moons
11-03-2012, 08:25 AM
Sell the hydraulics,mast & forks seperate & get more than you have in it. Farmers here love to mont them to tractors. Or some one may want to make a shop crane. Just an idea.

Good point, the scrap guy probley is paying $200 just for the ballist weights and battery lead anyway.

John Stevenson
11-03-2012, 09:15 AM
Done deed.
Got a new [ well to me anyway ] cat 1 tonner on 3 wheels coming Monday or Tuesday
Just a tad bigger than 4Key but still able to get down the path and inside.

Lifts higher and believe it or not, it's got brakes, never had a fork truck with brakes before.

Old truck is going to a customer for what was offered in scrap, they want it to just lift pallets up to a mezzanine flooring section and they will power it from the mains as it won't move.

browne92
11-03-2012, 10:30 AM
Old truck is going to a customer for what was offered in scrap, they want it to just lift pallets up to a mezzanine flooring section and they will power it from the mains as it won't move.

Glad to hear the old boy lives on and is in good use.

Peter.
11-03-2012, 11:19 AM

Aah so I was nearly right! I must be psychedelic...

A.K. Boomer
11-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Nice to hear of a happy ending every now and then --- after all - it's not a disposable bic lighter right?

wierdscience
11-03-2012, 11:34 AM
Done deed.
Got a new [ well to me anyway ] it's got brakes, never had a fork truck with brakes before.

As an old warehouse hand told me once "it's not going that makes things slide off the forks,it's the stopping that does it"

-Be careful

Mcgyver
11-03-2012, 11:42 AM
you're buying a new Chinese one and not going to use it?

RussZHC
11-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Not too swift, esp today...Mr Four Key...:o, :rolleyes: now I "get" it...you're not supposed to get a case of the giggles after 50 y.o. are you ?

davidh
11-04-2012, 11:01 AM
"four-key" like "donald" for yer van ? or is it yet too early for that kind of talk ?

A.K. Boomer
11-04-2012, 11:21 AM
I think it's pronounced "forky" but im not British so I could be way way off...

small.planes
11-04-2012, 01:54 PM
Sort of like four candles

IGMC
Dave

The Artful Bodger
11-04-2012, 02:26 PM
Pitch four candles.