PDA

View Full Version : identify this portable bandsaw? Looking to find manual

J Tiers
11-04-2012, 07:21 PM
I picked up this Black and Decker a little while ago, but it has no model number on it, the tag is worn off where that would be.

Can anyone identify it by appearance? Or are there multiple ones of same general appearance?

It works fine, surprising for a $20 purchase, but I like to have a parts manual where possible for equipment. Without model number, that can be difficult.

Here is the photo that I couldn't upload to PB due to password issues.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/jstanley/BampD_portasaw.jpg

sasquatch
11-04-2012, 07:24 PM
Now for 20 bucks,, that deserves a "YOU SUCK" for sure!! lol

flylo
11-04-2012, 08:02 PM
See if you can find an early Dewalt manual, reason being is we took on the B&D Pro line about 20 years ago. Great tools but no one bought them due to B&Ds reputation, so they took the same tools made the plastic yellow & labled them Dewat & sold them like crazy, best move they ever made, so I think this is the same as an early Dewalt.

Hogridnfool
11-04-2012, 08:05 PM
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/black-and-decker-portable-band-saw-parts-c-4167_29417.htmlHere is a site that may be of some help.....

wierdscience
11-04-2012, 08:16 PM
We had that identical saw at work,good units,but old.Ours ended up needing a switch and a new field.I found the model on-

http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/

However the only parts available were things common across brands like tires and bearings,everything else was discontinued.Those units are at least 20+ years old and these days most times anything older than 5 years it starts getting tough to find parts.

If you want I can look and see if the old hull of ours is still around and get the model# off it.

BTW,that lo/hi switch on the side,keep it in low,the hi speed setting is only for wood/pvc.That is what killed ours,helper ran the thing in hi cutting some Aluminum round bar and smoked the field.

J Tiers
11-04-2012, 08:20 PM
If you want I can look and see if the old hull of ours is still around and get the model# off it.

BTW,that lo/hi switch on the side,keep it in low,the hi speed setting is only for wood/pvc.That is what killed ours,helper ran the thing in hi cutting some Aluminum round bar and smoked the field.

That would indeed be very helpful if not too much trouble, and you have my thanks in advance.....

Thanks also for the speed tip..... It would never have occurred to me that the thing had a setting intended for wood and PVC. I likely would have thought it was too fast, but if I was in a hurry, who knows?

Last time I used one was many years ago when I was cutting rebar.... a LOT of rebar for a basement "jack-up-and-replace walls" church job (pastor's house, a basement contractor was a member). Only after it started being REALLY slow at cutting did I realize that the teeth had been totally worn off, and it was now functioning as a friction saw.....! Surprisingly it worked.... I probably switched it to "high" when it got slow at cutting (if it had a speed switch)...... What I didn't have was another blade, and the rebar was rusty...... Boss said "cut it" and I did.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/black-and-decker-portable-band-saw-parts-c-4167_29417.htmlHere is a site that may be of some help.....

Thanks, I found them early on, and that is when I realized I needed the model number.... if you look there, they have a list, but no pics.... and there are other details also.

For instance, they have separate info on a model 3122 type 1, a 3122 type 2, and a 3122 type 3. Those units look pretty similar to mine, and to each other....at least insofar as I can tell looking at an exploded diagram, but so does a 3127, so it's a bit unclear. None of the 2 speeds look like this one, although it IS a 2 speed, at least it has a low and high switch on it.

I don't get a good idea of any appearance differences from the exploded diagrams, except that a couple of the units have vertical motors, which this clearly does NOT have.

justanengineer
11-04-2012, 08:27 PM
Those units are at least 20+ years old and these days most times anything older than 5 years it starts getting tough to find parts.

Not to be disagreeable but semi-agreeable, I have consistently had good luck with one (and only one) brand for rebuilding older power tools - Milwaukee. Im currently going through an old, solid aluminum bodied Sawzall (everything including the switch is metal) that according to Milwaukee is from 1968, but have several other tools by them that are nearly as old along with some newer ones. Everything I have looked for so far has been either still available or theyve had a new p/n item that worked in the original's place.

Good luck with your saw. I love seeing any old tool saved.

wierdscience
11-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Now that you mention it 3122 does sound familiar.At least they used a common blade tire which along with the guide rollers are the only wear parts on the machine.

maybe a better picture here?
http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/cgi-bin/schematic.cgi/blackdecker/3122_TYPE_1

wierdscience
11-04-2012, 08:34 PM
Not to be disagreeable but semi-agreeable, I have consistently had good luck with one (and only one) brand for rebuilding older power tools - Milwaukee. Im currently going through an old, solid aluminum bodied Sawzall (everything including the switch is metal) that according to Milwaukee is from 1968, but have several other tools by them that are nearly as old along with some newer ones. Everything I have looked for so far has been either still available or theyve had a new p/n item that worked in the original's place.

True Milk has always been good on parts,however be aware that they have been Chinese owned for at least a decade and the latest batch of parts we ordered in for stock at work most were made in China.

They have done a re-design on may of their tools with most being Chinese in origin now.My guess is the parts for the old US made models will be drying up soon unless it's a model still made here.

J Tiers
11-04-2012, 08:37 PM
That's close, I found the three types of 3122 on-line. Problem is those have no speed switch, and this does. "Probably " otherwise similar, but who knows?

parts are not the real issue, it is more about seeing how it comes apart if I have to fix it, and model # to find a user manual that may explain the "oil level" note that I see partly remaining on the unit.

One of the sites gave the blade length, so I can get a decent Lenox for it.

Your point about chinese made stuff is extremely valid...... NO parts is the usual rule, or at least nothing but major assemblies, which are so expensive as to be prohibitive.... Why buy an assembly if you really need just one bracket?

wierdscience
11-04-2012, 09:01 PM
That's close, I found the three types of 3122 on-line. Problem is those have no speed switch, and this does. "Probably " otherwise similar, but who knows?

Actually they are two speed,look closely in the area of part#116 and #22,that is the switch and it's insulator.In the picture of the handle half the switch hole can be seen as a small rectangle just above the area the sticker occupies.

Your point about chinese made stuff is extremely valid...... NO parts is the usual rule, or at least nothing but major assemblies, which are so expensive as to be prohibitive.... Why buy an assembly if you really need just one bracket?

Yup,we have a few Dewalt angle grinders at work,the 11 amp models,Chinese,but pretty good.One burn a set of brushes so I ordered them,the prices on the parts are so cheap I just ordered several of everything they are likely to need.Brushes,switch,cord sets etc.Whole bill was $30 inc shipping.

Oh,the oil level thing was a "check oil level once a year" just smelly hypoid oil.

J Tiers
11-04-2012, 09:52 PM
OK I see it now, another site (Ereplacement parts) had a different series noted as 2 speed, and yet another as variable speed, plus the 3122 with no mention of any 2 speed, so I didn't download those PDF parts diagrams.

Thanks.

I'll take a look at the oil, I assume it is the large plug on the gearbox, the usual fill to bottom of hole deal.

justanengineer
11-04-2012, 10:29 PM
True Milk has always been good on parts,however be aware that they have been Chinese owned for at least a decade and the latest batch of parts we ordered in for stock at work most were made in China.

They have done a re-design on may of their tools with most being Chinese in origin now.My guess is the parts for the old US made models will be drying up soon unless it's a model still made here.

Yup....since 2005. My understanding tho is that there are basically two lines, a made in US pro line and a Chinese homeowner line. A few months ago I bought a new 4 1/2" grinder from the local Rural King here and had to special order it out of the Milwaukee catalog, but I got one that was made in US and is the nicest Ive owned yet. I cant comment on their Chinese tools bc I wont buy them, but regarding parts theyre still low priced as ever. I ordered a foot for the previously mentioned Sawzall from Fastenal and it cost <$4 after tax. Hopefully the cheap parts flow continues for a few more years til I can collect and restore a few more...