PDA

View Full Version : OT - Scottish Independence

Ian B
11-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Scotland are to hold a ballot on whether they should become independent from the rest of the UK. This website: http://www.borderagencyscotland.com/?ind2014 shows what a typical citizenship test might look like - would you qualify?

Ian

Timleech
11-05-2012, 09:47 AM
15/16, not too bad for a half-Irish English heathen.

Tim

Ian B
11-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Tim,

I did better - I only got 9 :D

Ian

Black_Moons
11-05-2012, 11:28 AM
6/11. And I don't know **** from shineola about scotland.

"In 2006 new trams were announced for Edinburgh. Work started on the 13km line in 2008 with the scheduled trams due to enter service in 2011. When did the first tram enter service?"
"Correct awnser: not yet"
That was an easy one that anyone familar with any governments work would know.

wierdscience
11-05-2012, 11:37 AM
9 was it for me.

Scottish Star Trek-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEg5NDZ6rnM

A.K. Boomer
11-05-2012, 11:57 AM
Goes to show what I know --- I thought they were independent...

The Artful Bodger
11-05-2012, 02:16 PM
11, not very good considering my ancestors left Olde Reekie only 150 years ago.:(

rohart
11-05-2012, 06:04 PM
I was born about as far south as you can get on mainland Britain. When I went to school in Scotland, they called me a sassenach. When I later went to school in England they called me a Jock.

I feel I earned the right to have a significant say in how these two squabbling countries organise themselves. I feel at home in the cultural warmth of Scotland, while I live in the cultural capital of England. As for the quiz, I feel proud to have no clue about most of the questions.

I am fervently in favour of the union, if it is defined as freedom of movement and residence around Britain. But the way Salmond has just U-turned on Trident does tend to suggest that even if Scotland did gain independence, the victory would be pretty hollow when it comes to deciding affairs of state. All that would happen is a few areas of government would permit more divergent policies, something that could readily be agreed without independence per se.

I think we'd all do better trying to woo the Irish to come back into the fold, perhaps with more of a federal organisation, rather than the London-centric government we have now.

BigJohnT
11-05-2012, 06:13 PM
11/16 and I was born in Alaska and now live in the middle of the USA...

John

John Stevenson
11-05-2012, 06:53 PM
1/16

Which proves they should be independent - then piss off.............

J Tiers
11-05-2012, 08:53 PM
I think we'd all do better trying to woo the Irish to come back into the fold, perhaps with more of a federal organisation, rather than the London-centric government we have now.

Ah, don't bring that up...... Irish do, or should, dislike both "England" and "Scotland"..... It would be better not to bring that into this..... it's far worse than US politics. In the US they haven't really gotten serious about bombings and assassinations yet.

The shade of Grandpa Hanafin assures me that you don't want to go there.

aostling
11-05-2012, 10:38 PM
The voting age for the Scottish independence ballot has been lowered to sixteen. I don't know how this might affect the results, but I'd guess it would make independence more likely.

lakeside53
11-05-2012, 11:01 PM
All that has to be done is rebuild Harian's wall for the same reason orignally built : "to separate Romans [south] from Barbarians [north]". Oh... and cut the power cables :)

For those of you who are geographically challenged, Sir John is to the south

John Stevenson
11-06-2012, 03:12 AM
The voting age for the Scottish independence ballot has been lowered to sixteen. I don't know how this might affect the results, but I'd guess it would make independence more likely.

However if they restricted the vote to single parent families then the vote would be an overwhelming success. ;)

Timleech
11-06-2012, 03:32 AM
I was born about as far south as you can get on mainland Britain. When I went to school in Scotland, they called me a sassenach. When I later went to school in England they called me a Jock.

I feel I earned the right to have a significant say in how these two squabbling countries organise themselves. I feel at home in the cultural warmth of Scotland, while I live in the cultural capital of England. As for the quiz, I feel proud to have no clue about most of the questions.

I am fervently in favour of the union, if it is defined as freedom of movement and residence around Britain. But the way Salmond has just U-turned on Trident does tend to suggest that even if Scotland did gain independence, the victory would be pretty hollow when it comes to deciding affairs of state. All that would happen is a few areas of government would permit more divergent policies, something that could readily be agreed without independence per se.

I think what Salmond really wanted was the two-question vote, which would almost certainly show a lot of support for 'devo-max' which even he probably realises would be much better for everyone than independence - even though he'd never be likely to admit it publicly.

Tim

malbenbut
11-06-2012, 04:38 AM
I live close to the Scotish borders north of Hadrians Wall and I couldn't give a sh*t. if they left or not.
Och I the Nicky Nacky Noo.
MBB

Circlip
11-06-2012, 05:13 AM
But does "Independance" still allow one foot in both camps? Strange how many Scots believe that their total economy can be supported by whiskey exports.

Regards Ian.

Charles P
11-06-2012, 08:00 AM
Why should the Scots have all the fun?

Perhaps we should have a snap vote and turf them out. After oil, their oil is already running out, their whisky is highly taxed and I don't play golf.

Charles

krutch
11-06-2012, 06:24 PM
So,.....are ya gonna chop off from the rest of the island?

Black_Moons
11-06-2012, 07:05 PM
But does "Independance" still allow one foot in both camps? Strange how many Scots believe that their total economy can be supported by whiskey exports.

Regards Ian.

What else are you going to buy from the scots? Haggis?

quasi
11-06-2012, 09:53 PM
Q; Why do the Scots wear Kilts?

A; Because the sound of a zipper scares off the sheep!

Bob Fisher
11-07-2012, 07:22 PM
Does anybody really care? I'm sure I don't. Been to England, spent a fair amount of time in Northern Ireland, visited Ireland proper,great people everywhere! I don't understand why they can't work it out. Bob.

aostling
11-07-2012, 10:27 PM
I don't understand why they can't work it out. Bob.

They are working it out, with an election agreed to by all parties.

If Scotland separates from England, Wales, and Ulster the situation will be somewhat like the ties between the Scandinavian countries, or between Australia and New Zealand.

oldtiffie
11-08-2012, 12:48 AM
They are working it out, with an election agreed to by all parties.

If Scotland separates from England, Wales, and Ulster the situation will be somewhat like the ties between the Scandinavian countries, or between Australia and New Zealand.

Australia and New Zealand are seperate countries each with their own Constitution and Parliament are a whole lot different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain_and_Northern_Ireland

J Tiers
11-08-2012, 01:08 AM
Does anybody really care? I'm sure I don't. Been to England, spent a fair amount of time in Northern Ireland, visited Ireland proper,great people everywhere! I don't understand why they can't work it out. Bob.

They could, but many people have long memories, and good recall of more recent provocations. Ireland is a case in point..... it is a country artificially divided, where a group of people (many Scots, in fact) were moved in to what is "northern Ireland", displacing the local folks in many cases by outright theft of the land.

The descendants of the "imported people" can in many cases still be identified by family name, and also by religious affiliation. So the resentments can still be directed at individuals. Hence "the troubles", and the existence of the people described as "Scot-Irish".

If a group of folks were moved by force into your town, if you and your neighbors were thrown out of your homes without compensation and made to work for the newcomers, you would not be too happy either. You might possibly harbor a grudge, and your children and grandchildren etc might remember "that used to be our farm" until those *&^%$ came here. It takes many generations for those things to wear off, especially in past times when people were closer to the land and had fewer distractions.

Wales is a similar situation, but the offense occurred considerably longer in the past.

I know less about Scotland, but I do not doubt that some similar types of oppression occurred.

oldtiffie
11-08-2012, 01:59 AM
It would not be so bad if they left their grudges and prejudices at "home" where it all "happened", but they bring them with them when they migrate to another country and that does help them to assimilate and doesn't impress the host country much either.

And its not just the migrant Brits either.

philbur
11-08-2012, 03:24 AM
It's call multiculturalism, or would you rather they adopt the grudges and prejudices of the host country? For example like the one you express in your post. Talk about winging poms!

I think it may be the average Australians' insecurity with his own Australianess that makes him want to attack others for displaying the lack of theirs.

Phil:)

Mark McGrath
11-08-2012, 03:34 AM
However if they restricted the vote to single parent families then the vote would be an overwhelming success. ;)

Why would that be,as it appears all their offspring are in the South?

malbenbut
11-08-2012, 04:07 AM
quote by J Tiers
a group of people (many Scots, in fact) were moved in to what is "northern Ireland", displacing the local folks in many cases by outright theft of the land.

Same could said about your ancestors in the not to distant past what they did to the indians.
MBB

Circlip
11-08-2012, 07:07 AM
Tut tut MBB, you shouldn't be critisizing the pioneering policies of "The land of the free" :)

Regards Ian

"Gangs of New York" is an apt "Fictional" offering.

J Tiers
11-08-2012, 08:24 AM
quote by J Tiers
a group of people (many Scots, in fact) were moved in to what is "northern Ireland", displacing the local folks in many cases by outright theft of the land.

Same could said about your ancestors in the not to distant past what they did to the indians.
MBB

And the Indians who were here when we arrived had already done the same to the Indians who were driven further South, or into the Florida swamps, etc. Modern day Indians readily admit that.

No use trying for the moral high ground here, nobody has any right to it. All have sinned equally.

M_C
11-08-2012, 08:29 AM
hmmm...15. My lack of interest in 70s pop junk, poor Weegie speak translating, and druggie terms let me down.

But seriously, independance is a disaster for all parties involved. I just hope enough people see sense and wipe the smug grin of Salmond's face.

Alistair Hosie
11-12-2012, 04:33 PM
actually we want you lot to piss of and give us the right to choose our own destiny. The english parliament is a millstone round the necks of the Scottish as well as those in the north of england who also feel westminster does not care for them once the english politicians are elected, and has been this way for years.If we are such a bad thing for britain then you would think they would be glad for us to govern and rule ourselfs but they don't seem at all keen on our getting independence and therefore freedom to govern ourselves.Alistair

Toolguy
11-12-2012, 04:51 PM
It's always about money. They can't levy and collect taxes from another country.

philbur
11-12-2012, 06:07 PM
If we are such a bad thing for britain then you would think they would be glad for us to govern and rule ourselfs but they don't seem at all keen on our getting independence and therefore freedom to govern ourselves.Alistair

Daily Record 12th Oct 2012:

DESPITE the Ipsos Mori poll showing support for independence falling to 30 per cent

Seems you guys are going to bottle it, pity.

Has anybody seen a budget comparison between in and out, instead of just a bunch or rhetoric.

philbur
11-12-2012, 06:26 PM
And the Indians who were here when we arrived had already done the same to the Indians who were driven further South, or into the Florida swamps, etc. Modern day Indians readily admit that.

So on that basis extermination of the indigenous people of North America by the worlds' most advanced democracy was justified? Teaching them the error of their ways might have been a more humane approach.

oldtiffie
11-12-2012, 06:34 PM
Oh dear.

Not more missionaries to "save" ("brain-wash"?) the poor (noble) "savages"?

I'd rather hoped that we'd seen the last of them/that!!

rohart
11-12-2012, 07:01 PM
Alistair - Whenever I feel threatened in this metropolis, by young jerks or real muggers, I just put on my 'Hey Jimmy' Glaswegian accent, and they run for cover. But what's wrong with a bit of diversity in a country. You're not intending to throw out the multitude of immigrants from foreign climes. So why separate completely from the rest of Britain. You can get further chunks of independent governance year by year, and hang on to the benefits union gives you.

I suspect the guys you really have it in for are the posh rich b*****ds that are running us all at the moment, but don't forget, you've got enough lairds of your own up there. Maybe you should be spending your energies helping people trying to get a living wage out of those folk, rather than having a go at another people oppressed by the rich down here.

Anyway, it's nice to here you're still fighting, if not fit. I was about to post a 'Where's Ally' thread.

oil mac
11-12-2012, 07:02 PM
As a Scot, who has always been & will always be loyal to the crown, I wonder what would have happened to freedom &democracy If in the period 1939-45, the many proud & brave soldiers of both Scotland , Northern Ireland, & Wales had, not laid down their lives, & had not been in the British army, The same can also be said to a much more tragic degree, with a horrendous loss of life in the 1914-18 conflict, Even going back to the Napolonic wars, Scots were in the front line, Only tonight we hear of another Scottish soldier killed in Afghanistan, Another nasty conflict in which my great niece is now a combatant
Members of my clan were in the army in all the above mentioned theatres of war, over this long period of time.

Some of us in Scotland have a great misgiving about breaking away, Is this a surprise to many on the forum? however my gripe is this i have now been thoroughly dissolusioned by the racist &snide anti Scottish remarks in this set of postings, from certain contributors, so i personally have decided to "piss off " to quote one contributor, that should make many happy one less scot on the forum "cannot be that bad" Goodbye!

danlb
11-12-2012, 07:10 PM
Scotland are to hold a ballot on whether they should become independent from the rest of the UK. This website: http://www.borderagencyscotland.com/?ind2014 shows what a typical citizenship test might look like - would you qualify?

Ian

I would not qualify, but that's OK. I'm in California. :)

I do wish that we had a qualification test for our elections. Every Politician should have to pass one.

Are citizenship tests common in Europe?

Dan

rohart
11-12-2012, 07:19 PM
oil-mac - pissing off at this stage feels like you're letting down those of us who are trying to contribute to this question in a rational sincere and scot-friendly way. I'm pro the union partly because I grew up in Milngavie and East Kilbride, and partly because I think the union is stronger that its separate parts.

Please try to ignore the cat-callers and those who have no idea how the pride of a nation can be derided by pompous neighbours.

John Stevenson
11-12-2012, 08:00 PM
Some of us in Scotland have a great misgiving about breaking away, Is this a surprise to many on the forum? however my gripe is this i have now been thoroughly dissolusioned by the racist &snide anti Scottish remarks in this set of postings, from certain contributors, so i personally have decided to "piss off " to quote one contributor, that should make many happy one less scot on the forum "cannot be that bad" Goodbye!

Mac, I missed the smiley off the end, sorry.
None of this was meant personally because if you knew me I'm anti PC and anti anything political because i feel that whatever happens the average bloke in the street has absolutely no power over it.

We have a vote coming up this month to vote in a 'person' who has a say over how the local police forces are run.
This is a new position and no doubt highly paid but I always though that we had a police commissioner to do that job.

Now in that vote i have the choice of 3 people, I do not have a choice that say I don't want any and let the guy doing the job get on with it.

Sorry if this hit a nerve but I don't regard being English as that serious.

Kenny G
11-13-2012, 04:46 AM
This post was bound to raise such passion and divide. I was born & brought up in a tenament in the south side of Glasgow in the 50's. Some members of this forum are of an age that will remember things before that time that put the 'GREAT' into Great Brtitain. Here we are about to see past generations sacrifice in blood, sweat & tears possibly brushed aside for the Dreams of Avarice for a chosen few!
Scotland is now pearched on the precipice of so called Independance bullied along by guess what? A Fat bloated politician who lives in a Half Billion Pound palace surrounded by his cohorts, deluded in the belief that this small country that has been systematicaly decimated of Industry over the last 50 years can stand alone??
I'm no accountant or statistition, but how can a country with a population of around 5.5 million support this madness?
We probably have working contributors of around 2.5 million, Children and those of pensionable age around 2.5 million and the balance on social security benifits!
Our North Sea oil & gas is coming to an end, our manufacturing is all but but gone and we have public sector employment as high as 75% and rising in some area's.

Enlighten me please!!

Alistair Hosie
11-13-2012, 09:18 AM
Please stay Dan His ludship John is a good guy really.I have no difficulty in going independent but then I am not one of the greedy calling for everything now, if it is a struggle to start with then so be it it will be worth it in the end we don't have aproblem with our very dear English brethern just westminster decdiding our every move,They want trident nuclear capability but hey not stationed in English waters stick it up in Scotland where if it is attacked, it will be no threat to the English landscape .We don't need or want it. Again we just want to run our own affairs we had eighteen years of thatcher and now Herr Cameron and we never voted for either of them yet they have the audasity to tell us what we can and can't do can't anyone see or understand this? Alistair

Georgineer
11-13-2012, 09:56 AM
We have a vote coming up this month to vote in a 'person' who has a say over how the local police forces are run.
This is a new position and no doubt highly paid but I always though that we had a police commissioner to do that job.

Now in that vote i have the choice of 3 people, I do not have a choice that say I don't want any and let the guy doing the job get on with it.

Sorry if this hit a nerve but I don't regard being English as that serious.

I have every intention of writing 'For 85,000 a year I'll do the job myself' across my ballot paper.

Sadly. most of the problems are caused, not by the Scots and the English (or any of the other tribes) at the level of ordinary people, but by the Great and the Good who believe that their destiny in life is to rule over us, and take power, influence and wealth unto themselves. The only man who ever really knew what to do with parliament was Guy Fawkes.

George

derekm
11-13-2012, 10:38 AM
Having lived a few years in Scotland, and had to put up the frquent anti-english comments I learned the minutiae of Scottish history and threw it back them and so held my own as the antagonists were taught the same details in the excellent scottish education system.

For shout of "the oppressive English", my reply was "We didnt oppress you, We paid Scots men to do it for us who were very glad to take the money" . They knew that at the battle of Culloden the majority of the soldiers for the Crown were Scottish. The clearances were acts upon crofters perpertrated by Scottish landlords often their clan leaders.

The Act of union was in fact a Scottish Bank bail out as the Scottish bank had invested heavily in doomed ventures, and not an act of conquest.

Scotland then and now is by no means a homogenious state.
So I suggest the highlands and island vote seperately from the lowlands, and they can leave with what the came with ... Nothing.

as regards the oil? We will take payment for the second and recent bail out of scottish banks.