PDA

View Full Version : Soon-to-be-New-to-me-Tool-Grinder

flylo
11-05-2012, 05:17 PM
Never had one so let me know what you think! Scoll down to see all the pics,Thanks! Eric:confused:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221146897759?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

sasquatch
11-05-2012, 05:31 PM
This must be for the grandsons shop someday?

BigJohnT
11-05-2012, 05:50 PM
I'll start sending you some drills to practice on when you get it fired up :)

Oh did I mention you suck... can I say that yet?

John

rohart
11-05-2012, 06:40 PM
You don't do things by halves, do you.

I'm coming to the end of a six month project making a Quorn. I suspect yours will be able to do 90% of what the Quorn can do, and the Quorn can only do about 30% of what yours can do.

I can't quite see where the cylindrical grinding happens. I hope you'll post action photos of sharpening in action.

One thing the Quorn struggles with is grinding the flutes of end mills, or of reamers come to that. Some have made air bearings to hold the work, so it can be traversed while spiralling with less (no ?) stiction. I suspect that the heavier the machine the more difficult that task.

Dr Stan
11-05-2012, 06:53 PM
flyo we've seriously got to do something about you as you're sucking up all the good iron. You need more than just a
YOU SUCK!,
but I guess that's all I can do for now. :)

John Stevenson
11-05-2012, 07:08 PM
I have just sent George a message asking that next time Eric posts a gloat post he's banned for a month.

I must stress this is not out of jealousy but just a way for the rest of us to get three weeks clear machine hunting with no competition. :)

sasquatch
11-05-2012, 07:35 PM
Yeah i can't imagine what that new grandson's bedroom will look like with Flylo buying up stuff for him!!

(Tricycles, scooters, toy machines, this kid will be the only one in kindergaton class with his own "Machinery's Handbook"!) Lol

flylo
11-05-2012, 08:33 PM
I have just sent George a message asking that next time Eric posts a gloat post he's banned for a month.

I must stress this is not out of jealousy but just a way for the rest of us to get three weeks clear machine hunting with no competition. :)
LOL! I'll keep on buying as I post only a few things I don't know about or are interesting. Remember I am a rookie!

Dr Stan
11-05-2012, 08:36 PM
LOL! I'll keep on buying as I post only a few things I don't know about or are interesting. Remember I am a rookie!

Just in case anybody wonders why I didn't post about my new to me Logan before I picked it up, keep in mind it was only 100 miles from fylo. Got lucky & slipped it out of the area before he knew it was there. :)

Dr Stan
11-05-2012, 08:39 PM

If you're a rookie, Steve Jobs was "just a programmer".

Tamper84
11-05-2012, 09:11 PM
Ok I'm lost here, can that grind end mills, drills, lathe tool bits and all of that?

flylo
11-05-2012, 09:22 PM
Tamper I hope so! I've never sharpened an endmill & thats why I posted. I found a manual but it's more than I care to spend so I'll see if it has one when I get it. I hoped someone had used one similar.

RWL
11-05-2012, 11:11 PM
Never had one so let me know what you think! Scoll down to see all the pics,Thanks! Eric:confused:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221146897759?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The price was right. The motorized work head is useful, but as received it will really only be useful for cylindrical grinding. You could sharpen horizontal milling cutters using the headstock and tailstock as centers for a mandrel to hold the milling cutter. You need to make a tooth rest to control the height of the tooth being ground.

Dr Stan
11-05-2012, 11:30 PM
Tamper I hope so! I've never sharpened an endmill & thats why I posted. I found a manual but it's more than I care to spend so I'll see if it has one when I get it. I hoped someone had used one similar.

It looks a lot like a Cincinnati T&C grinder and probably functions much the same. Remember form follows function. The US government was convinced there was a spy at NASA after the USSR unveiled its never used space shuttle. Finally someone pointed out its "all physics" so naturally the design was quite similar to the US shuttle.

jkilroy
11-05-2012, 11:35 PM
Steve Jobs was never a programmer

Oldbrock
11-05-2012, 11:45 PM
Norton has a great book on tool room grinding. Peter

wierdscience
11-06-2012, 12:10 AM
Won't work,he'll just group them all on a trailer and post them as a Job lot:D

flylo
11-06-2012, 12:33 AM
:rolleyes:Feel the Love!:rolleyes:

OKChipmaker
11-06-2012, 01:00 AM
good for sharpening open and box broaches.

Alistair Hosie
11-06-2012, 10:50 AM
I don't know how you can sleep at night.Wow at that price too, what a steal. Anyway have fun kindest regards Alistair

flylo
11-06-2012, 11:52 AM
I don't know how you can sleep at night.Wow at that price too, what a steal. Anyway have fun kindest regards Alistair
I sleep Great. Yea, it suprised me that it went cheap on Ebay & it's within a few miles of a 3HP Comet mill I have to pick up.

DICKEYBIRD
11-06-2012, 01:02 PM
Sir John & 'er indoors sell a CD with a BUNCH of tool grinding manuals. I have one and it's a bargain at twice the price.

(Did I get that right John, exactly what you told me to say?) ;)

Mcgyver
11-06-2012, 01:16 PM
The price was right. The motorized work head is useful, but as received it will really only be useful for cylindrical grinding.

I question that....unless he figures out how to add flood. I just went down this path and concluded cylindrical grinding without coolant is a waste of time. there is not heat sink like with a mag chuck to at least partially cool things; cylindrical work heats up so quickly and swells that you never seem to get to sparking out.

Mine had the troughs etc for coolant...that one poses some challenges ...I guess a bunch of sheet metal work would fix it

Eric, I'm wondering....are you using/intend to use these machines? vying to get on a TV show? or a part time used machinery dealer? Or something else? Any of which is fine, except if its a used machinery dealer.... its buying inventor, not a tool gloat. Is there's a plan or end game (strictly curiosity; each is free to find their kicks as they choose). I'm close to emerging from a lot of years reconditioning and building tools and I think you've got several lifetimes of projects with all the old machines you've acquired.

While I've enjoyed the process and learned a great deal, its taken years and years for what essentially should be a step in process to get to what i really want to spend my time making. Just cautionary note on spending too much time building the shop up and too little on what you actually want to use it for.

philbur
11-06-2012, 01:25 PM
As RWL pointed out without a range of attachments it could turn out to be just a waste of space. The price of a used T&CG is normally dictated by the number and usefulness of the attachments, not by the machine itself.

Drill grinding attachment?
End mill grinding attachment?
Lathe tool grinding attachment?
Radius grinding attachment?
.......?

Unless the original buyer only wanted to do cylinder grinding the present owner may have other attachments lying around that he doesn't realise belong to the machine. It's a long shot but definitely worth the ask.

The cylinder grinding attachment is often the highly desirable cherry on the cake. Trouble is at the moment you donít appear to have the rest of the cake.

Phil:)

flylo
11-06-2012, 03:25 PM
Mike, when did I say Gloat? I was hoping someone had used one like this. No I don't care to be on TV as I don't even watch TV & I'm not a tool dealer but I did just list my 1st item on Ebay but I'm sure most members have bought & sold tools to upgrade their shops. I do enjoy machinery, tools, equipment, aircraft, & I love getting a good deal. If you don't thats OK too.

Phil, I've been looking at tool grinders & had major sticker shock. I can't beleive what they want for tool grinders & belt grinders. This may not be just what I need but what a great start! I'm sure it's worth what I paid in componants but I think it's a great start to making a very nice tool room grinder/sharpener & the seller has several attchments with it.
Looks like you both would have passed on this but I still think it will work out fine for me:rolleyes:but thanks for the input.

philbur
11-06-2012, 04:45 PM
Alternative comment. Pick the one you prefer and discard the other.

Great score, I'm so jealous. You're the MAN.

Phil:rolleyes:

bborr01
11-06-2012, 05:02 PM
Eric,

That is a Polish copy of a Brown and Sharpe #13 universal grinder. I have spent hundreds of hours running one. The have a large range of workholding tooling like rubber Jacobs collets, Steel collets, are good for grinding cylindrical things if you know the tricks. A cold air gun is how I kept things cool and don't push things too fast.

I passed on a B+S a couple of years ago for less than $500 with lots of tooling. It came out of the plant I had worked at and a guy that I worked with had bought it. He was preparing it for the scrap pile if someone didn't buy it. He later told me that a couple of rough looking customers picked it up with the hook of an old wrecker. I feel kind of sad that I couldn't save it but like most of us, I didn't have room. Using the room for things that I get more use out of.

I talked to a friend who has a fairly large cnc shop and asked him why he didn't get into grinding at all. He said with the insert technology now days he just hard turns and mills everything.

My 2 cents worth.

Brian

Mcgyver
11-06-2012, 05:57 PM
Mike, when did I say Gloat? I was hoping someone had used one like this. No I don't care to be on TV as I don't even watch TV & I'm not a tool dealer but I did just list my 1st item on Ebay but I'm sure most members have bought & sold tools to upgrade their shops. I do enjoy machinery, tools, equipment, aircraft, & I love getting a good deal. If you don't thats OK too.

didn't intend for it to sound like i'm giving your grief, i'm not. It's just reflecting on my own process and the importance of keeping your eye on the prize....keep having fun however you like :)

Robin R
11-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Here's a link to a user manual for a Cincinnati #2 tool and cutter grinder, it's similar enough to give you a good idea on the various attachments and their use. http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/machinery-manuals-brochures/cincinnati-2-tool-cutter-grinder-manual-185719/

flylo
11-06-2012, 10:10 PM
Thanks Robin!