PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions of how to locate a used or surplus 1/3 - 1/2 HP 115V motor - CHEAP!

planeman
11-06-2012, 08:21 AM
I am preparing to make a sharpening station to include a buff and leather strop and will need a motor to drive it. The surplus motors I see are much more expensive than I want to put into it. I am wondering if a junk washing machine or other easily obtained piece of junk might have what I need. I'm ready to do some dumpster diving. Any thoughts guys?

Planeman

cuemaker
11-06-2012, 08:27 AM
Where are you? I have a few on my floor in the garage. I know one is a GE Motor from the 30's or so, most newer.

sasquatch
11-06-2012, 08:30 AM
First i'd forget about the washing machine motors, look for a double shaft TEFC motor used.

Motor shops, flea markets, friends, stuff like that , you should be able to find one.

Lew Hartswick
11-06-2012, 08:41 AM
Cuemaker has it right. WHERE are you ? I have a couple in my storage shed too. That is why there is a place to put your location that shows in a post.
...lew...

J Tiers
11-06-2012, 08:47 AM
Garage sales.... $5 to $10, $15 if in super condition, unused.....

And you often get a better motor, construction-wise. if its a bum motor, you are out very little, but I have found that in general, if they spin by hand, they work.

BigJohnT
11-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Sale barn on Friday and you can get one for $20-30... make sure you spin it by hand and smell it by the wires for a burnt smell...

John

aboard_epsilon
11-06-2012, 09:29 AM
I am preparing to make a sharpening station to include a buff and leather strop and will need a motor to drive it. The surplus motors I see are much more expensive than I want to put into it. I am wondering if a junk washing machine or other easily obtained piece of junk might have what I need. I'm ready to do some dumpster diving. Any thoughts guys?

Planeman

big old photo copier machine will have these motors in .

all the best.markj

justanengineer
11-06-2012, 09:45 AM
+1 on either taking up others on their offers of free....or hitting a few garage sales, fleas, or other local sources. Used motors are cheap and abundant just like used cars. The 1/4 hp Westinghouse on my shaper cost a grand total of $0.50 at a yard sale a few years ago. I didnt want it or need it at the time but it followed me home anyway...

Please post pics of the grinding station when youre done.

browne92
11-06-2012, 10:04 AM
If all else fail, try these folks:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/

Usual disclaimers. No connection other than satisfied customer.

flylo
11-06-2012, 10:49 AM
I have several & you can have your choice FREE if your close.

Rex
11-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Location, location, location

lakeside53
11-06-2012, 11:55 AM
I have some free also, but.... no location so you could be anywhere!

Bob Fisher
11-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Planeman, is there some reason you don't want to reveal your location? I fail to see any reason for not including your location in your profile. Bob.

planeman
11-06-2012, 07:29 PM
Sorry folks, been busy in the shop.

I am located in Atlanta, GA. unfortunately this appears to be a good way from all of you nice repliers.

Planeman

Bob Pekny
11-06-2012, 10:18 PM
Don't give up on the idea of a washing machine motor. I put one on a Sears drill press just to "get by" for a while and thought I would put a real motor on as soon as I found one. That was in 1974 and that old washing machine motor is still going strong. I have lots of motors I could replace it with but at this point I don't know why I would.

Don Young
11-06-2012, 10:29 PM
It can certainly work but washing machine motors are generally pretty open and can easily get dirt and grit in them. They are also sometimes not easy to mount and have a lot of leads since they are often both reversible and multi-speed. A dryer may furnish a more suitable motor. However, a proper motor should be pretty easy to find in the Atlanta area.