PDA

View Full Version : Another one bites the dust - CONVERTED?

Gary Paine
11-06-2012, 04:16 PM
I do not know how many of you enjoy the PBS show The Woodwrights Shop with Roy Underhill, but its been one of my favorites for many years. Roy is an affectionardo of the antique hand woodworking tools and the demonstration of their use in making period items. In this weeks show he astounded me by showing off his two week old purchase of a beautiful 1887 Barnes foot powered back geared screw cutting lathe (only $55 original sell price). It looked like great fun to use and he certainly was enjoying it. He made some brass threads, pointed a center in steel, and so on. He was really just getting used to using it himself, but he laughingly exclaimed as he worked on the steel center Its great! Wood, smood, I tell you..
It would appear that another antique tool lover has inexplicably been drawn into the marvelous world of the machine tool. I could totally relate.
Do you suppose he lurks in the forum?

mikem
11-06-2012, 04:23 PM
I saw him showing how to dovetail on PBS here on Saturday. It showed a closeup of his hands and he had a few cuts and black fingernails as usual!

thebigron
11-06-2012, 04:34 PM
I saw him showing how to dovetail on PBS here on Saturday. It showed a closeup of his hands and he had a few cuts and black fingernails as usual!

Yea, Mikem, a man could make a pretty good living suppling Band-Aids and Neosporin to him.

topct
11-06-2012, 05:47 PM
He's been on the air for 31 years. The guy is just plain great.

BigJohnT
11-06-2012, 08:26 PM
I wish I could get that channel again... he is very entertaining and I love watching the old ways of git-er-done

John

wierdscience
11-06-2012, 09:20 PM
I wish he did longer shows,he has shown some really neat techniques over the years.

BigMike782
11-06-2012, 11:36 PM
When I saw the title I had a terrifying thought that maybe Roy was calling it quits.......WHHHHEEEEW what a load off my mind.
I liked the show he did at the steam powered saw mill.I try and watch evey Saturday afternoon.