PDA

View Full Version : 1-1/2 x 12 grinder nut

Stepside
11-07-2012, 11:28 AM
I am not sure what this nut is used for, I think it holds on a grinder stone. It is 1-1/2 12 LH threads. It uses two 1/4 holes for the spaner wrench.

Where do I buy one and what should I call it? I can make one but I would rather buy one if possible. I do not have the machine it fits nor do I have access to it.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance

Pete

LKeithR
11-07-2012, 12:22 PM
You're unlikely to locate something that is application specific--that is, with holes and everything--but 1-1/2-12 is a standard NF thread so I'd look for an off the shelf jam nut with a LH thread. Drill your own holes and you're done...

BigJohnT
11-07-2012, 12:57 PM
You can find the nuts online, a quick look at McMaster Carr and they had a variety of sizes but not your size.

You might search for "Toolroom Grinding Wheel Mounting Adapters"

John

Rich Carlstedt
11-07-2012, 06:27 PM
I doubt it is for a grinder, unless it is a very large one.
Most all tool room grinders and tool grinders have a 1.25 Diameter thread.
A 1.5 diameter would not allow the mounting of the most common wheels .

I am not sure of your question. You "have" a nut and yet you want to buy one like it ?
If it has no flats, and only holes, it is called a "Spanner Nut"
Spanner Nuts with fine threads, are made with the face exactly perpendicular to the threads.
Most likely, it is a nut for a lathe or mill spindle for ball or taper roller bearing adjustment.
Rich

Stepside
11-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Rich

I have a nut the correct diameter and thread pitch. The problem is they want Left hand threads, my sample is right handed. I don't have a clue what machine it goes on. Thanks for the information.

Pete

lane
11-07-2012, 08:09 PM
Get it here.
http://www.wmsopko.com/index.htm

Rich Carlstedt
11-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Pete
I see...Thanks !
Also I should have said the nut face is " perpendicular to the thread axis"
Rich