PDA

View Full Version : OT - 737 wing things...

alanganes
11-07-2012, 04:23 PM
Flew out to St. Louis the other day in a Southwest 737. Looking out on the wing, there are three sort of wedge shaped structures under each one. This is a picture I snapped. What exactly are those things? I presume they somehow modify the airflow over the wing, but anyone know any other specifics? Less, drag, more lift, smoother flow, ????

Just curious, and you guys know something about everything...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/alanganes/737.jpg

The Artful Bodger
11-07-2012, 04:25 PM
Maybe fairings over bits that move the bits that move?

alanganes
11-07-2012, 04:28 PM
I don't know, they move up and down when the flaps are extended and extend the front of the wing as well.

Evan
11-07-2012, 04:44 PM
It is a recent mod from Boeing that provide short field takeoff capability and greater landing weight.

The 737-800s are equipped with Blended Winglets and Boeing's special short-field performance package designed for short runways such as Santos Dumont in Rio de Janeiro.

See here:

http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/2008/q3/080828g_pr.html

Fasttrack
11-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Those are air-to-air missiles to blast geese out of the sky before they get sucked into an engine.

Rustybolt
11-07-2012, 04:57 PM
http://www.b737.org.uk/flightcontrols.htm#Trailing_Edge_Flaps

Here ya go.

DICKEYBIRD
11-07-2012, 05:21 PM
Flap track fairings. The wing chord increases as the flaps travel rearward & downward. The pivot points are outside the wing's main structure.

nctox
11-07-2012, 06:20 PM
Flap track fairings. The wing chord increases as the flaps travel rearward & downward. The pivot points are outside the wing's main structure.

You got it, Dickeybird!

alanganes
11-07-2012, 07:14 PM
Ah-ha! thanks guys, my curiosity is appeased. Very interesting setup there.

RLWP
11-07-2012, 07:31 PM

That has to be one of my favourite seats when flying. I just love how, when coming in to land, the trailing edge unfolds itself into multiple flaps, slats and bits - just wonderful

Richard

mister honey
11-08-2012, 12:33 PM
That has to be one of my favourite seats when flying. I just love how, when coming in to land, the trailing edge unfolds itself into multiple flaps, slats and bits - just wonderful

Richard

Aren't we mechanical geeks... that's my favorite seat, too Richard!

Mike

lakeside53
11-08-2012, 01:12 PM
My favorite seat is first row, window. Nobody gets up to walk over me, free drinks, and personal service. After 3 million miles, I deserve it.

tdkkart
11-08-2012, 01:57 PM
Those are camera pods, taking pictures of your house and everything you do.........

The Artful Bodger
11-08-2012, 02:26 PM
Those are camera pods, taking pictures of your house and everything you do.........

The outer pair are the chem trail dispensers...:rolleyes:

outlawspeeder
11-08-2012, 03:29 PM
They cover ball screws used to lower and raise the flaps. Each panel has two.

Worked one one airplane that had 7 flaps per wing. The inboard flap's ball screw was over 8 feet long. All the flaps are driven by torque tubes “T” gearboxes thought torque limiters and locks. The last being 3 balls between two plates that when spun too fast, push apart to lock the ball screw in place to stop the flap from going places when things go wrong.

10 years of working on a fleet of very large airplanes. I can still remember it all and it has been 15 years.

It is also why I hate to fly.

But all you see is the fairing.

A.K. Boomer
11-08-2012, 03:57 PM
Aren't we mechanical geeks... that's my favorite seat, too Richard!

Mike

Yes for sure, a wing seat is still a marvel to me - always enjoy it...

saltmine
11-08-2012, 04:05 PM
I prefer to sit way back in the tail. That's where most of the survivors will be in the event of a crash. My favorite seat would be the co-pilot's seat, but commercial airlines seldom let customers drive.

Evan
11-08-2012, 04:20 PM
I used to like sitting up front on the Dash 7 so I could chat with the pilots. Then one winter I flew to Vancouver on business. That seat is in the same plane as the props. We hit extremely bad icing and there was no altitude that we could fly at to escape it. The ice was hitting the fuselage so hard it sounded like a sledgehammer. When we got there I did a walkaround with the pilot and some of the pieces nearly penetrated. That aircraft wan't going anywhere until it was repaired. I didn't feel very good about that until I walked into the terminal to make new arrangements for the flight back. There I was told that I wouldn't be going anywhere until the next day at the soonest. The aircraft I flew in was a switch from the intended one.

The first I had been sitting in for two hours, chatting with the pilots. They switched us to the one with long range tanks because it could fly direct to Vancouver. The one I was in flew to Terrace but never made it. The pilots I had been chatting with and all the passengers were dead by the time I was in Vancouver. Cause of the accident was controlled flight into terrain.