PDA

View Full Version : Glacern Tools Question

chorne27983
11-07-2012, 07:52 PM
I know that Glacern is a board sponsor but as a member of many boards I also know that doesn't necessarily mean quality. I am in the market to replace a 5" face mill and the price of theirs seems too good to be true. Do any of you have experience with any of their products(vise included) as they seem to have great prices for what the products are. Or are they pushing chinese junk that the locating pockets will be deformed in a job or 2? I am also interested in a new vise to replace a clapped out one at work.

johnnyd
11-07-2012, 09:25 PM
I bought their 3" facemill & it's a beauty. I don't know about their vise's, but the reviews on this board have been very positive. They make damn good quality stuff for what they charge.
As you may have guessed, I'm a VERY satisfied customer.
Do a search & see what comes up.

chorne27983
11-07-2012, 09:38 PM
I bought their 3" facemill & it's a beauty. I don't know about their vise's, but the reviews on this board have been very positive. They make damn good quality stuff for what they charge.
As you may have guessed, I'm a VERY satisfied customer.
Do a search & see what comes up.

Thanks for the feedback. I plan on making an order with them soon enough as the prices are hard to beat.

HAP
11-07-2012, 09:43 PM
I have the intergrated shank 3" face mill and the 6" vise; love them both, very high quality.

flylo
11-07-2012, 09:50 PM
And better yet, they're having a sale!

PixMan
11-07-2012, 10:26 PM
What kind of machine and what spindle adaptation does it have that you can use a 5" cutter? Most modern CAT40-equipped machines with up to 30HP spindles can't use more than a 4" cutter effectively.

If I were looking for a tool like that I would go with one of the bigger, more well-known makers because the cutter itself is seconadary to the task at hand and the inserts available to get the job done effeciently. What work are you doing with a 5" milling cutter?

Boucher
11-07-2012, 10:49 PM
I have their FM90 2 face mill, their FM45 2 1/2" face mill, a 1 & 1 EM90 Insert mills, their integral shank Keyless Drill chuck, their premiun 6 vice and the 4 vice. Here is the 45 face mill which runs very smoothe.
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/boucherbyron/IMG_0061.jpg

Everything that I have of theirs is excellent Quality. I am a very satisfied customer.

jungle_geo
11-08-2012, 12:42 AM
I have a Glacern 440 (4") vise that is very well made and the bed parallelism is within about 0.0002 and exhibits good repeatability between parts.
I also have their 2.5"-45 degree face mill that is really solid and cuts metal like a mad beaver.

In both cases the tools have exceeded my expectations.

BigJohnT
11-08-2012, 06:57 AM
I have 2 of their 6" vises and 2 of the 1" insert end mills I think an ER without looking and the product quality is excellent.

John

chorne27983
11-08-2012, 03:45 PM
What kind of machine and what spindle adaptation does it have that you can use a 5" cutter? Most modern CAT40-equipped machines with up to 30HP spindles can't use more than a 4" cutter effectively.

If I were looking for a tool like that I would go with one of the bigger, more well-known makers because the cutter itself is seconadary to the task at hand and the inserts available to get the job done effeciently. What work are you doing with a 5" milling cutter?
It's for an older SOAG horizontal boring mill. It does fine with an 8" shell mill but it is just about wore out and I can only take. 050" or so in stainless at half width before she starts to cry.

toolmaker76
11-08-2012, 06:23 PM
I have their 5" vise and have been very happy with it, so much so that one of my customers was looking to buy one and bought a Glacern after finding out that I had one, and they have been happy with theirs also.

EddyCurr
11-08-2012, 08:20 PM
Do any of you have experience with any of their products (vise included) ...
I am also interested in a new vise to replace a clapped out one at work.Photos and comments about a "matched" pair of Glacern GSV-550
5" vises appear in a post below.

milling vice (http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/48570-milling-vise?p=675576#post675576)
Note: the speed handle came from Enco.