PDA

View Full Version : Need a decent, budget-concious drill chuck.

Deus Machina
11-08-2012, 03:54 PM
I bought a Grizzly G0704 (http://www.grizzly.com/products/Drill-Mill-with-Stand/G0704) a while back, and it's proven to be an excellent machine for the price. The machine itself works as accurately as I can push it, with collets. But the drill chuck it came with takes a visible runout when I drill with it.

Thankfully I haven't used it for anything that needs close tolerances yet. But I have projects that need reamers coming up, so it's time to replace it.

I'm on a student's budget. So the $20 (sans arbor) 'precision' chucks from local Wholesale Tools look inviting, and I've had good luck with the China-made stuff before, but I'm betting I can find better.

So, what's the recent name on decent, affordable chucks?

Void
11-08-2012, 05:05 PM
If that is all you have then I would go with:
http://www.tools4cheap.net/products.php?cat=14

I have found his keyless chucks to be excellent at the fraction of domestic or European brands. He has fast shipping and is a very conscientious and fair business to deal with. Most of his prices include the R8 shank for your mill.

-DU-

justanengineer
11-08-2012, 06:17 PM
If youre on a serious budget or are like me and just a plain old cheap SOB, I would highly recommend becoming a regular at your local flea markets, yard sales, and consignment shops. Most people today, even so called "handy" men dont know what morse taper tooling is much less what to do with them, so you can likely buy what you can find for cheap. Ive got a few Rohms and good OLD Jacobs chucks for <$10 for the smaller sizes and <$15 up to 3/4". I wouldnt recommend new Jacobs, but old is quality and they are easily rebuilt.

With used tooling, there is a bit of risk in buying that something is abused or worn out, but quite often you can buy it in bulk for cheap so you can make out if you REMAIN FRUGAL AND DONT BE AFRAID TO PASS ON SOMETHING THAT IS NOT AN OBVIOUS DEAL.

Deus Machina
11-08-2012, 07:36 PM
Yeah, I need to go to the flea market more often. The nearest one is a good drive from me.

How are keyless chucks, lately? I've never really liked them, but maybe I've never experienced a good one.

BigJohnT
11-08-2012, 07:41 PM
Can you take it apart and dress down the offending jaw or just use your collets.

John

Deus Machina
11-08-2012, 07:44 PM
I don't know if it's a jaw, or the arbor portion, or what. It's not a smooth chuck, anyway.

The jaws have an internal radius to them. I could try since I wouldn't be out anything, but I'd likely just make it bad in a different direction.

Void
11-08-2012, 07:47 PM
Keyless chuck are the way to go. I like all the ones I have: Albrecht on the mill, Rohm on the drill press, and a tools4cheap.net (Chinese) chuck on the lathe. AFAIK they are only for clockwise use... they get tighter under load. The only thing to watch out for is if you use drill bits that have those three narrow flats on the shanks (for better torque) be sure to get the jaws of the chuck aligned on those flats otherwise if the jaws slip off the curved areas under load they may snap down on the flats and you will have a helluva time loosening the bit.

At the moment I can not think of any advantages to using keyed chucks over keyless.

-DU-

Doozer
11-08-2012, 07:55 PM
I have heard Golden Goose brand Chinese chucks are very good,
both key and keyless type. I also heard that Grizz sells this brand.
Can anyone comment on / verify this?

--Doozer

Bob Fisher
11-08-2012, 08:06 PM
I like Rohm chucks, and you can find good deals when they are on sale.Watch the Enco and MSC fliers for them. I put a 5/8th's on my Chinese 16 speed drill press and haven't had a drill slip since. I bought it new, not on sale, think it cost abou $90 . One reason it works so well is that it requires more turns to tighten than most other chuck I have used. Bob.