PDA

View Full Version : WOW! What a difference between shops.

KiddZimaHater
11-09-2012, 07:56 PM
Today's funny story.
I have been farming-out my services to various shops around town, and today 2 different places called to talk to me.
Shop #1 makes stuff for Private Jets (Leer Jets).
Shop #2 makes stuff for the US Government.

I visit Shop #1 (Leer Jets) in the morning. It's SPOTLESS!!! Like walking into a Hospital's operating room.
Well-lit, brite, clean, organized, everything labeled. Impressive.
They required ISO-9000, Documentation, Traceability, 7 years of record-keeping, etc.etc.etc...
Basically, with me being a home-shop operation, I politely declined.

Shop#2 was visited in the afternoon. WHAT A DUMP!! HAHAHA...WOW!!
This place looked like something out of an 1880's Steel Mill.
Dark, Dirty, Missing light bulbs, water-damage, layers upon layers of dirt, pathways between the clutter, and "Under all of that junk, is an old CNC that we'd like you to program for us". :) So I thanked them for their time, and said maybe we could work together in the future.

Funny. Today I believe I witnessed both ends of the machine-shop spectrum.:D

sasquatch
11-09-2012, 08:35 PM
There is probably a LOT of good work done in shop #2,, appearances can be very deceiving, a lot like women!! Lol

Mcgyver
11-09-2012, 08:36 PM
The other side of the coin......I was chatting with an electronics jobber the other day, does mostly military stuff. They recently quoted on a high end industrial product....and were 2x as high as everyone else.

BigJohnT
11-09-2012, 08:51 PM
Did you advertize in some way or just word of mouth?

John

KiddZimaHater
11-09-2012, 09:16 PM
BigJohn,
Mostly word-of-mouth. I left a stack of business cards at my local Metal Supply place.
People will buy metal for their "projects", but soon realize that they don't know how to machine it. ;)

Evan
11-09-2012, 09:27 PM
Back in the sixties in Berkeley there was an automotive repair shop that specialized in the very high end sports cars such as Ferrari. Lamborghini etc. I had a good look at a Ford GT-40 there once. The shop was as described for shop #1 above. If I worked there and dropped my sandwich on the floor I would pick it up and continue eating without inspecting it, then have to clean up the crumbs.

BigJohnT
11-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Thanks that's a good idea.

John

wierdscience
11-09-2012, 10:49 PM
Shop#2 was visited in the afternoon. WHAT A DUMP!! HAHAHA...WOW!!
This place looked like something out of an 1880's Steel Mill.
Dark, Dirty, Missing light bulbs, water-damage, layers upon layers of dirt, pathways between the clutter, and "Under all of that junk, is an old CNC that we'd like you to program for us". :) So I thanked them for their time, and said maybe we could work together in the future.

Funny. Today I believe I witnessed both ends of the machine-shop spectrum.:D

Hey don't be laughing my shop!:D

Guido
11-09-2012, 11:34 PM
SIL was manager for a welding supply shop in Valencia, C. He personally made it his chore to call on a nice sized engineering development shop, in keeping them up to date and supplied with the latest in welding materials/equipment. Shops were clean rooms, lacked for nothing, complete with four dynos, etc., etc.

People there quietly went about their work, in developing Honda's Indy V8 motors. Not many people could get as far back into the 'werks' as the SIL could. Interesting stories. Street racing in LA would never be the same.

--G

lakeside53
11-10-2012, 12:19 AM
"Quietly about their work"? I wish.

I was working (converting an old DoAll to VFD drive) in a nice shop today. Clean enough, bright lights, nice guys, lots of work and buzz... BUT they play music REALLY LOUD and walk around with ear plugs. Some of them sing badly. Sure works for them, but I'm not adjusting.

Guess I could do ear plugs, but I like to hear things as well!

quasi
11-10-2012, 06:41 PM
I used to wire Gen sets and Gen set skids for the local Cat dealer, called Finning. They have a huge complex, all of the bays are squeaky clean eat off the floor clean. Their staff cafeteria is nicer than many restaurants I have been in.

BigMike782
11-11-2012, 09:39 AM
Some airplane folks are funny.I had to pick up a nitrogen cylinder at a hangar.The guy says"it's over there".....the other side of the building.I went to roll it out to the truck and he freaked out.....had to go get a hand truck.

The Artful Bodger
11-11-2012, 03:40 PM
I spend time at a local all-volunteer aviation museum. We were assembling a small jet trainer when the job required a 1/2" flat washer. One of the guys found a slightly dulled plain steel washer under the bench but I later noticed that a professional aircraft engineer replacing it with one he brought from his workshop several hundred metres away!

BTW, this aircraft will never fly again, it has been assembled by non-qualified personell and getting it back in the air would require a complete qualified tear down and rebuild.

polepenhollow
11-11-2012, 03:54 PM
I wonder what this shop looked like?
Quite a few years ago there was an ad in a paper that a shop was looking for a Tool & Die-maker. I called the number and the phone was answered by a person with something like "yeah, whaddya want man?"
I replied that I wanted to talk to Mr. ? about a job that was advertised..
Meanwhile there was some very loud Rock Music blasting in the background at sound level that I would guess to be 9.5 or 9.75.
The answerers' reply was not exactly this, but very close.
"Dave ? Dave ??, Dave ain't here man."
(please, all respect to Cheech and Chong)
I thanked him and never followed up on the job posting.

K Lively

A.K. Boomer
11-11-2012, 06:52 PM
Iv been like shop two for quite awhile, At first it's great to just use stuff and never put it away - then you end up spending so much time searching for it - I have two shops about 50ft apart from each other - my mechanic tools started trading places with the machinist tools and so forth, I was putting on allot of miles not to mention up and down the steps...

So iv had it - im cleaning up my act - It's going to take awhile but it will be worth it.... im tired of being a slob.

michigan doug
11-12-2012, 06:18 PM
The genetics people are pretty sure there is a "messy" gene. It might be associated with the curiosity gene. Seriously.

I got the messy gene. I have learned to (sort of) compensate for it.

doug