PDA

View Full Version : PM down again?

lakeside53
11-09-2012, 10:54 PM
or is it just me? I just get "database error" - for over 24 hours.

beanbag
11-09-2012, 11:02 PM
oh crap. I was just about to go ask about whether I should buy some chinese or american machines.

Dr Stan
11-09-2012, 11:04 PM
Seriously, is there really any reason for this thread on the HSM forum? If its down those that participate on the PM will be aware there is a problem. For those of us who do not, it really does not matter.

J Tiers
11-09-2012, 11:08 PM
I noticed that PM seemed slow this morning, but it is working Ok now, as far as I can see, faster, too.

Seriously, is there really any reason for this thread on the HSM forum? If its down those that participate on the PM will be aware there is a problem. For those of us who do not, it really does not matter.

Burn this library!

Whatever is in it that is in agreement with the Q'uran is superfluous, and whatever in it that does not agree with the Q'uran is worthy of destruction!

lakeside53
11-09-2012, 11:48 PM

Many of us swing both ways!

Easy way to see if it's my connection or Pm's is to ask a few swingers. Guess you're not one of those ;)

lakeside53
11-09-2012, 11:52 PM
Thanks Jerry. Wierd it's not working for me.. and after a reboot.

rockcombo
11-09-2012, 11:57 PM
it's down for me also .

lakeside53
11-10-2012, 12:03 AM
Ha.. maybe it's just Washington. We've been banned from PM for passing the Gay Marriage and Marijuana referendums. :)

dp
11-10-2012, 04:18 AM
Ha.. maybe it's just Washington. We've been banned from PM for passing the Gay Marriage and Marijuana referendums. :)

Hmm - I'm in Washington, and I was banned... coincidence? Nah - they're not particularly right-wing friendly there. I'm pretty sure the marriage and maryjane referendums would be welcomed. Though I am in favor of both... Maybe it is Washington! :)

big job
11-10-2012, 07:32 AM
Nothing gained nothing lost that place has been for me 5ys. Only one reason to get
in which I can not is, there is a member in there that has a lathe like mine and it seems
we are the only two on the planet that has one, and I just want to talk with him but its
a no can do so if the site wants to be snobish the hell with em.

becksmachine
11-10-2012, 07:37 AM
Hmm - I'm in Washington, and I was banned... coincidence? Nah - they're not particularly right-wing friendly there. I'm pretty sure the marriage and maryjane referendums would be welcomed. Though I am in favor of both... Maybe it is Washington! :)

Well, I certainly feel honored to be included in such esteemed and distinguished company!

Maybe we could form a club, the DSGMBPMLIWASS.

(Dope Smoking, Gay Marriage, Banned from Practical Machinist, Living In Washington, Asso)

Or maybe we would rather be a Coalition rather than Asso's?

:D

Dave

R_Audano
11-10-2012, 07:45 AM
They changed some stuff on the site that's causing the error. I was getting the 502 error with Mozilla Firefox but not with other browsers and ended up deleting the Practical Machinist cookie from the browser to fix it.

Dr Stan
11-10-2012, 12:02 PM
Well, I certainly feel honored to be included in such esteemed and distinguished company!

(Dope Smoking, Gay Marriage, Banned from Practical Machinist, Living In Washington, Asso)

Dave

I like that. :) Let me know when it is formed so I can join.

BTW, I still have access under a different name. :D

Grind Hard
11-10-2012, 12:14 PM

Given the attitude of some of the members there I wouldn't put it past them. :D

"Can't have no pot-smoking rainbow-pride-ers in MY shop! I don't want none of that tolerance and progressive thinking anywhere NEAR me, 'cause it means I might have to CHANGE." :p

PM is ok, they take things way too seriously over there at times and they hold a grudge.

THIS forum, we take swings at each other and we're back making nice two threads later.

Milacron of PM
11-10-2012, 03:16 PM

Dave Whenever PM is down I try to remember to check in here but forgot this time, until now. Beck, you were banned for something like 5 days back when you kept posting a "hey everybody, look at this !" thread about a Cazeneuve lathe that was on eBay while the auction was still going on.

It's generally known to be bad form to post about desirable machines at auction on PM before the auction ends, so I deleted your posts and kept deleting them as you reposted and finally had no choice but to ban you for the period of the auction just to keep your from advertising to everyone on earth with an internet connection about that lathe (thus unnecessarily running the price up for those that did their due diligence)

But as I said, it was a very short temporary ban and labeled clearly as such if you tried to post, so it's beyond me why you think you were permanently banned. I just checked to make sure, and you are still registered in good standing and very much not banned.

Milacron of PM
11-10-2012, 03:23 PM
BTW, I still have access under a different name. :D That's fine, as long as your new personality is considerably different from your old one ;)

Milacron of PM
11-10-2012, 03:33 PM
PM is ok, they take things way too seriously over there at times and they hold a grudge.

There are 70,000 potential "they" but I suspect you are morphing two or three members into the entire membership of PM

dp
11-10-2012, 03:41 PM

I actually like PM and still visit and don't plan to quit. They have a no-nonsense approach to many things although their political forum seems a bit off the norm for what is and is not acceptable content. I even like Don and the way he runs the site and have often offered help when things have gone around the bend with the server/software since that is my life's work. If there is a downside to having been banned it is probably that. I surely won't miss posting there.

Dr Stan
11-10-2012, 04:49 PM
That's fine, as long as your new personality is considerably different from your old one ;)

The only one who needs a personality change is you. You're one of the biggest jerks I've ever known.

BTW, my offer to any and all of your employees still stands. I'll testify as an expert witness for their lawsuits against you for creating a hostile work environment and even waive my consulting fees.

oldtiffie
11-10-2012, 05:58 PM
Well, well.

Not one response to Miilacrom so far - they are conspicous by their absence so far.

Cat got your tongues?

The silence in deafening.

becksmachine
11-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Whenever PM is down I try to remember to check in here but forgot this time, until now. Beck, you were banned for something like 5 days back when you kept posting a "hey everybody, look at this !" thread about a Cazeneuve lathe that was on eBay while the auction was still going on.

It's generally known to be bad form to post about desirable machines at auction on PM before the auction ends, so I deleted your posts and kept deleting them as you reposted and finally had no choice but to ban you for the period of the auction just to keep your from advertising to everyone on earth with an internet connection about that lathe (thus unnecessarily running the price up for those that did their due diligence)

But as I said, it was a very short temporary ban and labeled clearly as such if you tried to post, so it's beyond me why you think you were permanently banned. I just checked to make sure, and you are still registered in good standing and very much not banned.

This is exactly why I don't visit your site Milacron, your self righteous, inconsistent attitude is not something I want to be associated with.

If you are really interested in looking you will find that the information that you posted here is either a blatant lie or you have me confused with someone else. The part about the temporary ban is correct, the part about a "Cazeneuve lathe that was on eBay" is entirely wrong and I have no idea where you came up with that.

I was banned because I defended another member that was offering his opinions about gps navigation systems, in a thread you started about gps navigation systems. I felt you were rude and arrogant to him and I said so, and received a ban because of it.

I might add "It's generally known to be bad form" to post erroneous information about a member here.

In case you have forgotten here is a copy;

"You have been banned for the following reason:
Pestering the moderator for no good reason

Date the ban will be lifted: 02-02-2010, 10:00 PM"

Dave

oldtiffie
11-10-2012, 06:31 PM
I don't go to PM very oftenand never post there - for no good reason.

I know the rules and if I were posting there I'd filter out my "Asian/Chinese" tools as that is required on PM.

PM as here has its own set of rules - administered by the moderator.

If you don't comply "necessary action" is taken.

Short answer is that if you don't like PM's rules and/or Millacrom's attitude either use PM under that regime or don't use it at all.

Dr Stan
11-10-2012, 07:27 PM
Short answer is that if you don't like PM's rules and/or Millacrom's attitude either use PM under that regime or don't use it at all.

I fully agree.

Grind Hard
11-10-2012, 08:11 PM
There are 70,000 potential "they" but I suspect you are morphing two or three members into the entire membership of PM

I've posted there, as has my brother.

Turns out it's more like several dozen, with moderator pile-on and I distinctly recall you throwing a couple of choice ones in there as well.

Because after all, in the Shop Management forum the loud-mouth abusive ax-swinging chest-pounding supervisor is king and GOD FORBID that an EMPLOYEE actually DARE speak up against a tyrannical LORD MANAGER/SUPERVISOR-SUPREME.

CLEARLY the problem is the ENTIRE GODDAMN workforce in the ENTIRE GODDAMN USA and not the people who post in that forum! After all they were GIFTED with supervisory powers and put in positions over and above the MERE workers whos ashes they build their personal empire upon.

Then again I haven't logged in in quite awhile. Maybe things have changed.

And MAYBE I can rewire my microwave oven to turn aluminum into gold. (unlikely)

Dr Stan
11-10-2012, 08:28 PM
And MAYBE I can rewire my microwave oven to turn aluminum into gold. (unlikely)

Now I have to clean my monitor. That's funny.:)

oldtiffie
11-10-2012, 08:29 PM
It seems that with regard to using PM that some here may have very thin skins - or damaged egos?

None here are going th change Millacrom or "bring him (or any of his appointed moderators) down" in the near future as Millacromhas demonstrated well enough both here and on PM.

So if you want to post on PM either get a thicker skin or swallow your ego for a while - otherwise stay away from PM.

Its your call - the ball is in your court.

From what I've read here on occassion over time, there are some here that post to and read PM and seem to have no problems with it that they cannot manange.

Grind Hard
11-10-2012, 10:23 PM
Folks lets not feed the trolls here. I've reported this thread to George. I expect it will be closed post-haste when he gets the message.

Don't stoke the fires any further

Milacron of PM
11-10-2012, 10:34 PM
If you are really interested in looking you will find that the information that you posted here is either a blatant lie or you have me confused with someone else. The part about the temporary ban is correct, the part about a "Cazeneuve lathe that was on eBay" is entirely wrong and I have no idea where you came up with that.

I was banned because I defended another member that was offering his opinions about gps navigation systems, in a thread you started about gps navigation systems. I felt you were rude and arrogant to him and I said so, and received a ban because of it.

In case you have forgotten here is a copy;

"You have been banned for the following reason:
Pestering the moderator for no good reason

Date the ban will be lifted: 02-02-2010, 10:00 PM"

DaveYou got me curious so I just now looked and the only thread I started about that time was concerning iPhones, and that thread began after your supposed ban date. I looked under banned member and "infractions" and find nothing, presumably because that sort of into ceases to be after a ban is lifted. A curiousity that you somehow have a copy of your ban reason even when you aren't banned. But it is possible I have you mixed up with another member in Michigan on the Cazenueve saga, which occured around Oct 23, 2008.

Regardless, of the reason, you keep telling folks here you are banned when you know you are not...which is my main point.

Milacron of PM
11-10-2012, 10:36 PM
I fully agree. And yet you admitted right here your secret identity is currently using PM.

lakeside53
11-10-2012, 10:36 PM
Back to the original post....

I stll get "database error" but ONLY when accessing the "General Forum" either directly or from the forum page. If I go to new posts, I can see and access any "general forum" messgaes, but.. still can't go to the forum itself. I've deleted any cookies with PM in them. Wierd...

Milacron of PM
11-10-2012, 10:44 PM
BTW, my offer to any and all of your employees still stands. I'll testify as an expert witness for their lawsuits against you for creating a hostile work environment and even waive my consulting fees. That is mighty generous of you to "testify" about something you know zero about (and will never in a million years actually happen) and to even waive your consulting fees..my goodness !

Milacron of PM
11-10-2012, 10:46 PM
I stll get "database error" but ONLY when accessing the "General Forum" either directly or from the forum page. If I go to new posts, I can see and access any "general forum" messgaes, but.. still can't go to the forum itself. I've deleted any cookies with PM in them. Wierd... That is odd...perhaps keep trying with the cache memory history deletion...one member stated that didn't work the first time but worked a day or two later.

Milacron of PM
11-10-2012, 10:52 PM
Folks lets not feed the trolls here. I've reported this thread to George. I expect it will be closed post-haste when he gets the message.
He would have banned the thread immediately anyway except some of the one's here that love to complain about PM lucked out with a weekend free for all ;)

lakeside53
11-10-2012, 11:12 PM
I'm not the only one...

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/problems-running-pm-site-firefox-http-www-losasso-org-vbulletin-255372/#post1911933

beanbag
11-10-2012, 11:42 PM
BTW, I still have access under a different name. :D

IF you hate it so much then just quit for good.

J Tiers
11-10-2012, 11:56 PM
Can't you folks just QUIT with the hate-fest?

I have ZERO problem with PM, I COMPLETELY understand the limits on machinery that is allowed to be discussed, and I don't find the moderation to be heavy-handed. I happen to know that at least two members here are actually moderators on PM.......

You would understand the discussion limits also, if you took a good look at the ads on the site. Heavy on the industrial stuff, kinda light on the "Snorg T's", or "china tooling" although I have seen a couple sneak in.

It's a different place, with different orientation , and serves it's purpose well. This forum serves a particular need, but not the same one as PM. While there is some overlap, generally each serves its focus area, and serves it well.

If you don't like PM, fine, the web is a large place, and there is room for you not to go there. After all, there is always the remnants of the old Chaski forum still going on as well, giving you two choices not involving PM. I get along OK with Harold also, but I understand a few folks apparently do not.

There is overlap in members between Chaski and PM, and between this forum and both Chaski and PM.

lakeside53
11-11-2012, 12:08 AM
I totally agree.

Dr Stan
11-11-2012, 12:41 AM
That is mighty generous of you to "testify" about something you know zero about (and will never in a million years actually happen) and to even waive your consulting fees..my goodness !

thanks for proving my point.

mike4
11-11-2012, 01:01 AM
I just went to the site and didn't have a problem, and as Tiffie and others have said ,if you comply with the requirements of the site there are no problems .
Any time that I have posted there I found the replies to be on topic and informative , something like here.
I suppose that I lean a little to their way of thinking as I run my business to make a living and provide for when / if I stop working.
There are egos to contend with no matter where you go or work , harden up and live with it.

Michael

JRouche
11-11-2012, 02:26 AM
WTF!!! Again? A this site or that site bash fest? Its never gonna change I guess, and it doesn't matter. Im a long time member of both sites. Practical Machinist, Home shop machinist, both of them. I actually had a diff NYM back before the JRouch NYM. Yeah, its a nym, my name is not John Rouche. Ive been trying to get info from back in the 80s with a slow 2400 baud modem. Remember terminal? And BBS? Its funny windows STILL has the terminal. Sysop?

Anyway BBS led to IRC and Usenet. Im still using both systems to get the info I want. Then came the GUI based web. Internet based forums. Yahoo was there in the beginning. I started http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bridgeport_mill/ back in 2001. It doesnt have any spam which is hard for a yahoo group. Ive seen many groups fall off the wayside due to spam. Its still active and giving Bridgeport owners a place to go.

My point?? Practical Machinist has a massive amount of info that you can NOT get anywhere else. If you dont like the peeps dont go there. But if you have a specialized piece of equipment, say a South bend lathe (or many other machines) then there is no better site than PM. I HATE seeing the bashing posts here re: PM. There is a wealth of knowledge being stored there on some one elses buck, storage costs money. And bandwidth to boot. I dont wanna hear about the adds, money does NOT grow on trees.

Plain and simple!! There is a guy that is NOT connected to a magazine house, big money (Village Press) to support his site. STOP bashing Practical Machinist!!!!!! You are NOT helping our limited base of FREE info.

Dont like a member or two on the site? FINE!! Dont talk with them. But the entire site is NOT full of the peeps you dont like. STOP going in the General section. Look specifically. Meaning find what you need and dont get involved with the other banter.

I hate it when I see folks clashing site to site. WHY? Cause Im on ALL the sites and KNOW there is good info on ALL of them and a new person stepping up might actually see what some folks are writing and NOT go to PM. It sucks cause they will be missing out on ALL the great info that is on PM...

I have been around for some time on the "net". I have several NYMs. Some might actually know some of them if I were to connect JR to them but I wont (back in the news group days). My point? Dont go trashing folks or sites. Specially when two sites actually have something in common. JR

lakeside53
11-11-2012, 02:36 AM
Another I totally agree with!

Heck, I'm even on Chaski, and like Harold :)

loose nut
11-11-2012, 11:08 AM
There is overlap in members between Chaski and PM, and between this forum and both Chaski and PM.

Oh goody a three way.

loose nut
11-11-2012, 11:14 AM
big money (Village Press) to support his site.

George should get a laugh out of that one.:D

loose nut
11-11-2012, 11:24 AM
I'm a little curious.

Milacron has made quite a few posts on this thread defending his site. Why would he even look here at all, he doesn't contribute here at other times, or let his knowledge out to answer questions or chime in on other topics.

He has made it perfectly clear that he doesn't like "China equipment loving home shop based amateurs" and tells them, when he finds them on his site, that they should go somewhere else, usually here or Chaskis site. Don't say it doesn't happen because I was one of them. Why would he lurk here waiting to pounce on a thread that isn't flattering to his forum.

Maybe he is the one with the thin skin.:confused:

Mcgyver
11-11-2012, 11:25 AM

'they'? they're all the same there? :)

dp
11-11-2012, 12:17 PM
Maybe he is the one with the thin shin.:confused:

Don has placed PM as the go-to site for professional machinists and factory/shop owners vs another model maker/hobbyist forum. The ecosphere of that demographic includes high end machines, a professional approach to material working and processes one could expect to find in manufacturing vs solutions for correcting broken things around the garage. He would like vendors that make turning centers rather than The Little Machine Shop. He wants to attract people who buy and work with advanced equipment, and owner/operators who make the decisions. He has specifically set his site apart from the hobby maker sites and you won't see projects like hit and miss engines and railroad reproductions. That does not mean he doesn't appreciate the skill that goes into making quarter-scale picture-perfect reproductions - he has drawn a line in the swarf that says those topics belong on other sites.

To do that successfully he has to weed out threads and topics that don't fit. It is very distracting and unhelpful for someone with experience limited to an Atlas lathe to pop into some of the discussions about speeds, feeds, and DOC for high end, high horsepower machines running nothing but carbide and who's swarf at the end of the day is measured in barrels.

He does offer open forums where some of those conversations are safe and where the 8 to 5 worker can discuss legacy hardware and work floor problems and solutions, and specific topics such as gunsmithing, history of manufacturing, and shop infrustructure. Hell, there's even a wood working forum but I'd bet nobody is interested in talking about weekend warrior picnic table and bench projects or your latest redwood burl bowl.

Milacron of PM
11-11-2012, 01:23 PM
I'm a little curious.

, or let his knowledge out to answer questions or chime in on other topics.

He has Milacron has made quite a few posts on this thread defending his site. Why would he even look here at all, he doesn't contribute here at other timesmade it perfectly clear that he doesn't like "China equipment loving home shop based amateurs" and tells them, when he finds them on his site, that they should go somewhere else, usually here or Chaskis site. Don't say it doesn't happen because I was one of them. Why would he lurk here waiting to pounce on a thread that isn't flattering to his forum.

Maybe he is the one with the thin shin.:confused: As I stated in my first post of this thread, I do try and check in here when PM is down in case a PM member needs to know what is going on. Otherwise I never "lurk" here anymore...used to years ago...but not any more. In this case I forgot to check in during the actual site down time but figured I'd better look just to see if anyone was still having trouble or if anyone was going off the deep end on a weekend when George is not around to lock the thread like he normally would.

So, basically your accessment of "lurking waiting to pounce" is a figment of your imagination, and so is your accessment of the PM attitude toward "China equipment loving home shop based amatures". As clearly stated in the Machinery Discussion Guidelines sticky thread in the General Forum, all manner of "how to" metal and woodworking questions are welcome on PM and but any discussion of Chinese or Taiwanese home shop grade machines are not (plus some others like anything from Atlas and a few others clearly mentioned)

It is amazing to me how "personal" some hobbists take their machine ownership...as if a ban on their machine discussion is somehow a put down on them personally. It isn't meant to be so, get a grip. Heck, even I have a Chinese Baldor carbide grinder lookalike I use from time to time.....but I'll never discuss it on PM

becksmachine
11-11-2012, 01:40 PM
Can't you folks just QUIT with the hate-fest?

I have ZERO problem with PM, I COMPLETELY understand the limits on machinery that is allowed to be discussed, and I don't find the moderation to be heavy-handed. I happen to know that at least two members here are actually moderators on PM.......

You would understand the discussion limits also, if you took a good look at the ads on the site. Heavy on the industrial stuff, kinda light on the "Snorg T's", or "china tooling" although I have seen a couple sneak in.

It's a different place, with different orientation , and serves it's purpose well. This forum serves a particular need, but not the same one as PM. While there is some overlap, generally each serves its focus area, and serves it well.

If you don't like PM, fine, the web is a large place, and there is room for you not to go there. After all, there is always the remnants of the old Chaski forum still going on as well, giving you two choices not involving PM. I get along OK with Harold also, but I understand a few folks apparently do not.

Agreed.

And when members/moderators of said forum come onto THIS site and spread blatantly erroneous/libelous information, what would you or this board prefer that my response be? Please pardon me if I want to hold so called management types to a higher standard.

"Whenever PM is down I try to remember to check in here but forgot this time, until now. Beck, you were banned for something like 5 days back when you kept posting a "hey everybody, look at this !" thread about a Cazeneuve lathe that was on eBay while the auction was still going on.
It's generally known to be bad form to post about desirable machines at auction on PM before the auction ends, so I deleted your posts and kept deleting them as you reposted and finally had no choice but to ban you for the period of the auction just to keep your from advertising to everyone on earth with an internet connection about that lathe (thus unnecessarily running the price up for those that did their due diligence)"

If this is an apology, I accept it, even though it is not represented as such;

"But it is possible I have you mixed up with another member in Michigan on the Cazenueve saga, which occured around Oct 23, 2008."

I was in error when I said that the thread in question was started by Milacron himself, it was started by
Weirsdale George.

Dave

Milacron of PM
11-11-2012, 01:55 PM
And when members/moderators of said forum come onto THIS site and spread blatantly erroneous/libelous information, what would you or this board prefer that my response be? Please pardon me if I want to hold so called management types to a higher standard.

"Whenever PM is down I try to remember to check in here but forgot this time, until now. Beck, you were banned for something like 5 days back when you kept posting a "hey everybody, look at this !" thread about a Cazeneuve lathe that was on eBay while the auction was still going on.
It's generally known to be bad form to post about desirable machines at auction on PM before the auction ends, so I deleted your posts and kept deleting them as you reposted and finally had no choice but to ban you for the period of the auction just to keep your from advertising to everyone on earth with an internet connection about that lathe (thus unnecessarily running the price up for those that did their due diligence)"
For my curiosity, what is "blatantly erroneous/libelous" about my contention on the Cazenueve lathe saga ?? Holy cow..not like I was acusing you of doing something illegal...just a common mistake that people make on PM from time to time when they get overly excited about a rare machine find.

You are making Mt Everest out of an ant hill on that point. My point was to get you to stop implying you are banned on PM. The irony being that the reason you say you were banned for a few days sounds like a worse offence than the Cazeneuve saga....but frankly I have zero memory of that.

But even though it's moot at this stage, now I'm curious...do you have, or have you ever had a Cazeneuve lathe ? If not, then I did have you mixed up with another member and I do appologize. But if you do, then another story.

loose nut
11-11-2012, 05:34 PM
So, basically your accessment of "lurking waiting to pounce" is a figment of your imagination, and so is your accessment of the PM attitude toward "China equipment loving home shop based amateurs".

It is amazing to me how "personal" some hobbists take their machine ownership...as if a ban on their machine discussion is somehow a put down on them personally. It isn't meant to be so, get a grip. Heck, even I have a Chinese Baldor carbide grinder lookalike I use from time to time.....but I'll never discuss it on PM

You don't lurk. Right and pigs can fly. The only time you show up is when something bad is said about PM. If your not lurking then it must be ESP.

Your view of how PM treats us amateurs is very different then the experience a lot of us have had on your site. I believe that you should "get a grip" on how things are done there.

If you really do have a Chinese tool grinder, is that suppose to make us thing that your just one of the guys, then you bought it for the same reason we did,

-it is cheaper then the way over priced Baldor version and it does the job

Isn't that a good enough reason to discuss it on the PM site. I'm sure there are many pro shops that use them or would if others explained that they are OK. Maybe you can't bring yourself to talk about low cost Chinese equipment on your forum. I haven't been to your site in a long time.

My experience with it is that it is unfriendly and arrogant, not all your fault you can't control how people are but you don't try and moderate it either.

There isn't a question in the world that can be asked there that can't be answered here but without the attitude.

oldtiffie
11-11-2012, 05:52 PM
I've seen members here - who - to me anyway - seem to be very HSM-er (and not very "Pro") posts links they've seen/read on PM so it seems that the rerquirements to be met to join PM are not that arduous in which case that (non-"Pros") can read anything and say what they like provided they stay within due bounds as is made pretty clear by the PM site and Milcrom himself from time to time.

Seems pretty right and clear to me.

If you scan the "members logged on" from time to time you will see the Milacrom is as much a memeber here as any one else is.

Milacron of PM
11-11-2012, 05:52 PM
You don't lurk. Right and pigs can fly. The only time you show up is when something bad is said about PM. If your not lurking then it must be ESP.

The fact that I only seem to post these days when there is PM discussion going on should tell you right there that yes, I don't lurk here anymore. Note I have over 1,200 posts, the vast majority of which were years ago before this site became so hostile to me, and I would post home shop related questions or answer those that I could help.

Not ESP, a combination of two things...

1. Knowing that whenever PM is down there is high probability of someone asking others here if they are having trouble getting to PM. And if it sneaks into the weekend where moderation is touch and go, usually there is a PM bashing marathon going on. (OTOH, thanks to those who had kind words)

2. I get emails from folks that frequent both forums telling me what is going on over here if it gets bad enough.

Milacron of PM
11-11-2012, 05:57 PM
If you scan the "members logged on" from time to time you will see the Milacrom is as much a memeber here as any one else is. You comments are reasonable enough, but for the record I'm mystified by that last sentence. The only time I ever log on here anymore is in case of a thread like this one. Maybe "time to time" years ago, but no more.

oldtiffie
11-11-2012, 06:08 PM
My intent was to mean/say that as you are a registered member here - as you obviously are - that you can log on and either just read or comment as you see fit - exactly the same as any (other) member here - as you do.

I have no problem with what you say - at all.

becksmachine
11-11-2012, 06:58 PM
For my curiosity, what is "blatantly erroneous/libelous" about my contention on the Cazenueve lathe saga ?? Holy cow..not like I was acusing you of doing something illegal...just a common mistake that people make on PM from time to time when they get overly excited about a rare machine find.

You are making Mt Everest out of an ant hill on that point. My point was to get you to stop implying you are banned on PM. The irony being that the reason you say you were banned for a few days sounds like a worse offence than the Cazeneuve saga....but frankly I have zero memory of that.

But even though it's moot at this stage, now I'm curious...do you have, or have you ever had a Cazeneuve lathe ? If not, then I did have you mixed up with another member and I do appologize. But if you do, then another story.

No, I do not own a Cazeneuve lathe.

No, I have never owned a Cazeneuve lathe.

No, I have never sold a Cazeneuve lathe, on ebay or anywhere else.

No, I have never bid on a Cazeneuve lathe, on ebay or anywhere else.

I barely recognize it as a company and certainly didn't know they made lathes. The only reason I know how to spell it is because I see it in your post. ;)

That is what I mean when I say "blatantly erroneous/libelous".

I must point out however, if it is indeed "moot at this stage", how could there be "another story"?

Thank you for the apology. It is accepted in the same spirit in which it was offered.

I will feel less inhibited to visit your forum in the future. :)

Dave

oldtiffie
11-11-2012, 09:43 PM
Hmmmmmm.

George has not locked/deleted this thread yet.

Perhaps (he - George) thinks that Milacrom has done a good enough job of stating his position regarding PM and that the thread can stay?

I hope so.

oldtiffie
11-11-2012, 09:56 PM
The topic was "PM down" - with an inferred "again"??.

This site (HSM BBS) has a nasty habit of "going down" as its IT people "do necessary maintenence" over the week-end - with no prior notice and seemingly without regard to any of us using the BBS at the time.

I recall George saying (more or less) that the work has to be done and "that is the way it is" - despite his trying for a better go (notice) from the IT people.

I agree that the maintenance/upgrade work has to be done and over the week-end is the least disruptive time for VP's commercial enterprises and that we are way down the priority list (which is probably reasonable in the circumstances).

The VP/HSM BBS downs over the week-end are a lot less frequent than they were - but they still happen.

I, as I guess others have too, have lost posts which are being typed (memory?) but not yet "posted/saved" so that for any longer posts over the week-end I type them in WordPad and save it there so that it is not lost and can be "pasted" in here when the VP server is "up" again.

J Tiers
11-11-2012, 10:31 PM
PM every so often gets (or used to get) pretty slow, which was generally a precursor to it 'going down", or at least getting so slow that it might as well have been down. In these modern times, a 30 to 45 second delay to go "back to last page" is effectively 'down" to all but the most determined user. (Not so much back with 1200 baud and the handset on the coupler unit).

PM hosting seems to have been moved, and outages or slowness have been greatly reduced.

dp
11-11-2012, 10:58 PM
PM hosting seems to have been moved, and outages or slowness have been greatly reduced.

Sure enough - they used to be in or near San Diego as I recall, and it's in Columbus, OH now.

oldtiffie
11-11-2012, 11:42 PM
PM every so often gets (or used to get) pretty slow, which was generally a precursor to it 'going down", or at least getting so slow that it might as well have been down. In these modern times, a 30 to 45 second delay to go "back to last page" is effectively 'down" to all but the most determined user. (Not so much back with 1200 baud and the handset on the coupler unit).

PM - and here too - are way way better than a 300/1100 dial up modem on a land-line using some God-awful communication packages -ie "Kermit" and the like - no Windows - just DOS and the cost of those modems and computers was huge.