PDA

View Full Version : Interesting automatic oilers

armedandsafe
11-11-2012, 12:54 AM
I thought these might interest somebody here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trico-5-Feed-Adjustable-Flow-Oil-Resevor-Electronic-/350610433516?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51a202a5ec

Pops

mike4
11-11-2012, 01:05 AM
Pity he only seems to post in the U S only . I would have bought one .
Michael

Jaakko Fagerlund
11-11-2012, 03:28 AM
Wasy DIY project if someone needs such oilers (gravity fed): Tank, a solenoid valve under it and a distribution block with needle valves on it.

oldtiffie
11-11-2012, 03:43 AM
You may need to strip the parts with the surfaces to be oiled and perhaps cut ("half-round" chisel - by hand) to at least access any oil ways and clean them out or clean out dust/swarf if cutting new ones.

From the eBay site:

This listing is for one Trico oiler. It has an adjustable flow to each of the five points being lubricated. A solenoid valve activated the flow every time the machine is turned on and cuts it out when off. This is great on a machine run by employees in that it is never left open and draining out oil and it always opens to lubracate when they turn the machine on. Just have to watch the resevor for level of lube.

Having it pump oil each time the machine started or stopped might be OK on a CNC machine which only stops and starts occassionally but might be a mixed blessing if on a manual lathe/mill with frequent stops/starts as there may be oil everywhere and if the reservoir is drained and air gets in you may have another problem you could do without.

JCHannum
11-11-2012, 10:36 AM
These were quite common at one time, maybe not so much today. They are gravity drip feed oilers, each point is individully adjustable and the feed rate can be observed in the small sight glass below each adjusting valve. They do not pump a single shot as Tiff seems to think, but oil continuously when the machine is running and turn off when idle. Jogging and intermittent operation would not result in excess oil application.

dalee100
11-11-2012, 11:16 AM
Hi,

Yeah strictly gravity feed system. Only problem I could see is that the on/off operation could cause excessive limiting of lubrication on occasion. But I think it would perhaps take a lot of on/off cycling to reach that point.

The biggest problem is to get people to just fill the oil cups. If it's empty, just fill it. I don't care if you are only going to run the machine for a minute. The last 30 time was only a minute too.

dalee

ogre
11-11-2012, 11:48 AM
If i should start a new thread then let me know cause im not interested in steppin on toes. I have 3 solenoids that can run air/water/light oil. The pressures for each are alittle different but all can be ran at 100psi or more. I am interested in making this type of system. Do u guys really think gravity feed will work or should it be 20psi and push a button when i want to oil.

I feel gravity feed will b plugged easilyby swarf and not oil adequently

dalee100
11-11-2012, 01:40 PM
Hi,

Gravity feed oilers have been in use for over 100 years. From my personal experience, they work just fine under even the nastiest conditions. Not to claim they are fool proof and never fail, but I've probably had more trouble with pressurized oilers than gravity feed ones.

But pressurized systems do have an advantage when using high pressure coolant systems often found on modern high speed machining centers. The pressure tends to keep the coolant from displacing the oil on the ways. Not nearly as much of a problem on manual machines.

dalee

ogre
11-11-2012, 01:45 PM
On gravity feed im assuming the solenoid stays open the entire time machine is on and shuts off when u shut off machine??