PDA

View Full Version : Water vessel project ideas

vpt
11-12-2012, 08:26 PM
Just replaced the water vessel for my parents and now I have their old waterlogged unit. It is a 80 gallon unit about 24-30" across and 4.5-5' tall. No rust on the outside and actually is in great condition but like I said the air bladder is ruined and had to be replaced. This tank is constructed very much like a air compressor tank, rolled steel sheet seam welded with formed caps welded on each end. The only real hole in the tank is a single 2" port in the center of the bottom cap for the water pipe to be plumbed in.

I mentioned to my parents that people do all kinds of things with these old vessels from BBQ's to flower planters and blast cabinets. They got a kick out of it.

I have seen a few projects here with all kinds of old tanks but nothing that I really have a need for like a BBQ, planter, blast cabinet, or wood burner mainly because I have all that stuff already. lol Looking for some input on some other great ideas for old vessels. Lets hear it! :D

Sort of like the tank on the right but without all the ports.
http://www.nes-inc.biz/remediation_components/images/Tank%20Style%20SVE%20Moisture%20Separators%20-%2080gallon%20and%2060gallon%20Capacity.jpg

BigMike782
11-12-2012, 09:44 PM
One man sub?

darryl
11-12-2012, 09:47 PM
One that I had became a woodburning stove. Laid on its side, cut an opening at one end for a door and at the other end for the chimney. Some basic angle iron assembly for the stand and that was it. There were some holes in the side for piping, which I put downwards for a fresh air intake.

sasquatch
11-12-2012, 09:55 PM
Fill it full of concrete and then use it as a lawn roller/earth packer??

Boostinjdm
11-12-2012, 10:02 PM
Fill it full of concrete and then use it as a lawn roller/earth packer??

I was going to suggest lawn roller. I prefer pea gravel over concrete though.

vpt
11-12-2012, 10:07 PM
Doing some google searching but not seeing much.

I did have a thought though, I have been wanting a gun/valuables safe for awhile now. The tank could make a nice inconspicuous safe. An old water heater I guess would be better suited as far as fire protection for the valuables but I'm not to worried about that aspect. Mainly to keep stuff away from the kids and any intruders/thieves.

Boucher
11-12-2012, 10:21 PM
I use the bottom half for an electrolysis cleaning tank. The steel of the tank is the electrode that surrounds the part. It is sacrificial but it lasts a long time. The top half I use to hold my large fish fryer pot. It is very stable and holds the heat in so it is more efficient than an open support.

If used as a roller water is heavy enough to work well and is easy to remove or replace.

Boostinjdm
11-12-2012, 11:09 PM
Yep, water works. I had to repair my roller twice though before switching to pea gravel. Water and freezing temps don't go well together in a roller.

sasquatch
11-12-2012, 11:30 PM
I always thought Pea gravel was "Kidney stones."

flylo
11-12-2012, 11:35 PM
I know you have a BBQ but how about a smoker? Of course for meat & fish, not a neighborhood bong. LOL

vpt
11-12-2012, 11:51 PM
I know you have a BBQ but how about a smoker? Of course for meat & fish, not a neighborhood bong. LOL

I owned a smoker for about 10 years, just sold it 2 years ago on a rummage sale, never used it once. But it would make a perfect smoker.

Boostinjdm
11-13-2012, 12:58 AM

No, No, No. That'd be pee gravel.

firbikrhd1
11-13-2012, 10:35 AM
These would make a good outer shell for a Charcoal or Gas foundry.

camdigger
11-13-2012, 12:35 PM
Things I've built from similar pipe/tanks:

Animal watering trough - think cows and horses
Incinerator - add a length of pipe on top for a better thermal draft, side door for loading, bottom door for cleanout, and a rebar grate 6 - 8" up from the bottom
Charcoal foundry furnace- ala Gingery. I lined mine with fire brick splits mortared in place with fireclay.
Mold board for a dozer blade, rear blade, or box blade. 1/3 of an arc gives a very aggressive cutting action 24" pipe makes an excellent snow blade. With a water tank, some ribs will be needed as well as cutting edge support.

Mike Burdick
11-13-2012, 01:37 PM
Turn it into a plazma cutter...

How do you do that? Very simple, here's how...

Take that old tank and place it by the door of your wife's car - so she needs to walk around it to get in - and tell her you have BIG plans for it.
After a week or so she'll tell you to get rid of the @$$### thing! But... in order to do that, tell her that you'll need a plazma cutter to cut it up in small pieces. She'll say "whatever" and there you go - you now have turned it into a plazma cutter!

schoolie
11-13-2012, 02:41 PM
The first thought that comes to mind every time I see a tank like that getting tossed out is...

Chicken Gun. I really want to make one of these some day :)

Youtube Link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucHNC1aV-gE&feature=youtube_gdata_player)

vpt
11-13-2012, 07:40 PM
Turn it into a plazma cutter...

How do you do that? Very simple, here's how...

Take that old tank and place it by the door of your wife's car - so she needs to walk around it to get in - and tell her you have BIG plans for it.
After a week or so she'll tell you to get rid of the @$$### thing! But... in order to do that, tell her that you'll need a plazma cutter to cut it up in small pieces. She'll say "whatever" and there you go - you now have turned it into a plazma cutter!

HAHA! I like that idea!

vpt
11-13-2012, 07:44 PM
Lots of good ideas, keep them coming! I remembered they can be turned into windmills or water wheels as well. How big can a mail box be? :cool:

1-800miner
11-13-2012, 10:46 PM
With the price of postage stamps,I could not afford a mailbox that big.

vpt
01-21-2013, 01:49 PM
Started in on the tank the other day. Only got a few cuts in and had other things to do and then it got cold out. I am thinking of making it into the gun safe I mentioned earlier but not 100% yet. With the 3 cuts I got a peak inside and it is about as expected, some rust, slime, and a broke away rubber bladder balled up. I say I am not 100% sure I will be making it into a gun safe yet because it depends how much work it would take to clean it up and some other stuff. Is there an easy way to tumble/roll the tank with some sand or small rocks in it to clean it up?

Cut next to the seam weld top to bottom and 15" along the caps. I thought the bigger I make the door the less room for gun slots in the safe. 15" seems to be a pretty decent size for a door yes no?

Just frozen dirt and junk on the outside of the tank.
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/9097/watertanksafe010.jpg

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/8512/watertanksafe011.jpg

Scottike
01-21-2013, 02:32 PM
How about a parts tumbler for cleaning and deburring?
Rock Polisher?
Yard art?

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j422/Scottike/Pigtank.jpg

vpt
02-10-2013, 06:30 PM
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/1539/tanktumble001.jpg

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/2448/tanktumble006.jpg

vpt
02-11-2013, 09:35 AM
Nothin? I thought for sure this was going to turn into comedy hour!

vpt
02-11-2013, 09:41 AM
Nothin? I thought for sure this was going to turn into comedy hour!

Lew Hartswick
02-11-2013, 09:44 AM
I'm laughing too hard to comment. :-)
...lew...

achtanelion
02-11-2013, 10:42 AM
Comedy hour? I'm looking at that and thinking that other than the spindly little axles, it'd be about the perfect size for tumbling all the rocks the kids wander home in their pockets.

Fasttrack
02-11-2013, 10:52 AM
No laughing here. I like it! :D Wonder what will happen when you put 50+ lbs of gravel and sand in there to bust up the rust?

I did something similar to wind a Tesla coil secondary that was too big for my Pacemaker.

1-800miner
02-11-2013, 12:10 PM
Just gave me an idea on how to index the lathe if I ever want to cut a gear with 5,000 teeth!

I am cutting one up to make a heat shield behind the shop stove.
I have been advised the the plastic bladder will burn violently if you leave it in there while torching it open...just a thought.

1-800miner
02-11-2013, 12:13 PM
You could put some cats inside and really polish it up!:rolleyes:

Boucher
02-11-2013, 06:36 PM
Solid rocket motor propellant is a mixture of oxidizer in a rubber binder. The rubber is the fuel half of the chemical equation, and Yes the rubber bladder in water pressure tanks will burn violently if you start cutting one up with cutting torch. Some of these tanks also have a plastic liner in the lower half of the tank. They burn and produce some very unpleasant smoke. They can be safely cut up with ox/acet but you need to think the process through. I have started the cut with an air cut off tool and finished with a jig saw, sawzall or air chisel. I have cut a few with the plasma torch. On some tanks the bladder is held in place with 1/2" wide steel ring that is rolled into place. Others have a type of flange nut on the bottom that can be unscrewed and the bladder pulled out the hole.

vpt
02-11-2013, 09:01 PM
Took me about 10 minutes to cut the door open with a sawzal on this one. The bladder is some white hard rubber (could have been soft when new).

I dumped about a half a pail of scrap metal in the drum and tumbled it for 2 hours. Took off all the heavy stuff great, I can deal with whats left with some rust killer paint. I welded in all the door stop/trim and have the hinges welded in. Next time I get time to work on it I can start in on the lock debacle.

vpt
02-11-2013, 09:05 PM
Comedy hour? I'm looking at that and thinking that other than the spindly little axles, it'd be about the perfect size for tumbling all the rocks the kids wander home in their pockets.

The axle on the other side is a 1.5" pipe. I went with the grade 8 bolt for the small axle. :) I was a bit worried about it at first as well. lol

The pipe brings up a question for you guys. I am going to pour cement in the bottom of the tank for weight. Should I run a pipe up threw the cement from the water tank port for air ventilation or seal it off?

danlb
02-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Re: vents

If used for ammo, you want enough vents that pressure will not build when the ammo goes off in a fire.

I suspect the cement will release water for a long time, so condensation may be a problem you'll want to watch for.

Dan

achtanelion
02-11-2013, 09:33 PM
Solid rocket motor propellant is a mixture of oxidizer in a rubber binder. The rubber is the fuel half of the chemical equation

Ya know, just reading that first part made me think you had another idea for the tank...

vpt
02-12-2013, 07:41 PM
Made a ring today for the handwheel and started in on the locking mechanism. I have one of 3 sliding pins and its mount all welded in and set, just two more to go, then rods, and stuff and I will be able to shut the door. I'm going out now for a couple pics. I'll load them up in a few minutes.

vpt
02-12-2013, 08:01 PM
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/7172/tankesafe1001.jpg

The pin slides very nicely, I am actually surprised I didn't have to message anything to get this one to have a nice fit and slide freely.

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/9095/tankesafe1002.jpg

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/3851/tankesafe1003.jpg

The ring I made for the "valve" on the side of the tank.

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/4048/tankesafe1006.jpg

You can also see the wheel part in the middle of the door I started in on. I have tube welded into the door and then a shaft passes threw to the disc you see in the pictures. That disk will push and pull the rods to move the pins.

Boucher
02-12-2013, 09:13 PM
Ya know, just reading that first part made me think you had another idea for the tank...

No that was just a safety heads up for someone cutting on a pressure tank with a rubber bladder. Many would not consider the rubber to be a fuel.

oldtiffie
02-13-2013, 02:27 AM
Originally Posted by sasquatch

No, No, No. That'd be pee gravel.

I can just about see some who've had "kidney stones" cringing and wincing when they read those posts.