PDA

View Full Version : What goes round - comes round.

John Stevenson
11-13-2012, 04:27 PM
So today got a visit from the local scrappy, seems he's bought a couple of new fork trucks for round the yard. Well new to him and very late clean models but one has a problem with the steering.

Bearings on the king pins have collapsed and generally shagged to top of the beam where the seals fit.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/registered_user/forktruck1.jpg

Soooooooooooo, throw the beam up on the POS Bridgy and nail it to the bed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/registered_user/forktruck2.jpg

Then bore the damage out, size doesn't matter as you'll see in a bit.

Nice cleaned up register.

New inset pressed and loctited in both sides, jobs a good un.

Final bill ?

No Charge.

Toolguy
11-13-2012, 04:36 PM
I believe that what goes around, comes around is a universal law like gravity. There is no getting away from it. Better to work with it than against.:) BTW - nice work John!

danlb
11-13-2012, 04:36 PM
Is the scrappy the one who sold you that POS bridgy? :)

Dan

John Stevenson
11-13-2012, 04:46 PM
Is the scrappy the one who sold you that POS bridgy? :)

Dan

No fell out with that guy....................

lugnut
11-13-2012, 05:02 PM
Way to go John, nice work. Now for my real reason for replying to your post. How do you go about posting those great little popup thumbnail photos?

John Stevenson
11-13-2012, 05:09 PM
Way to go John, nice work. Now for my real reason for replying to your post. How do you go about posting those great little popup thumbnail photos?

Don't know :o

Put 4 pictures up on Photobucket and two came out normal and two are clickable thumbnails.

I'd be as interested as the next guy.

dp
11-13-2012, 06:31 PM

It is an attachment hosted by HSM's server. Privilege of knighthood :)

John Stevenson
11-13-2012, 06:43 PM
Thank you DP.
Realised what has happened, forget the untick the tick box under Insert image from URL.

Many thanks.

atomarc
11-13-2012, 07:29 PM
Why no charge? My shop has to earn its keep.

Stuart

Toolguy
11-13-2012, 07:38 PM
They help each other. It's a good business model. I have a shop in my area where we do the same. If they have a tool I need to borrow or vise versa or one of us is too busy to do a job we refer it to the other one and get it done. Sometimes money changes hands, sometimes not depending on the circumstances. Instead of thinking of the other guy as a "competitor" we are working together and both get ahead.

Paul Alciatore
11-13-2012, 07:48 PM

Why do you call them "great"? I personally think they are a PITA. I mean, you have to click on them and you can't view them while reading the text so sometimes you have to go back and forth. I find a full sized photo a lot nicer.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

dp
11-13-2012, 08:22 PM
Why do you call them "great"? I personally think they are a PITA. I mean, you have to click on them and you can't view them while reading the text so sometimes you have to go back and forth. I find a full sized photo a lot nicer.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

You can't see them unless you're logged in so it saves time and bandwidth, too. But - if you are using Firefox you can click right on the image and open it in another window or tab and see both the full size image and the original post.

John Stevenson
11-14-2012, 04:18 AM
Why no charge? My shop has to earn its keep.

Stuart

It's one of two yards in this area where I can wander around, the second is about 7 miles away in an area I don't get much.
This yard is 1/2 mile away.

A few visits ago they had a big bucket of carbide tooling, I asked how much and it was 90 for the bucket.
Bearing in mind that a lot was big tooling and chipped I sorted thru the bucket and came up with this lot.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/carbide%20cutters1.jpg

All good cutters and all sharp, no chips.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/carbide%20cutters2.jpg

That lot weighed in at 25 or so if I remember right. God knows what worth of cutters are there.

What goes round - comes round.

914Wilhelm
11-14-2012, 08:01 AM
Of course you figured out the value of your work so the taxman can get his cut?

John Stevenson
11-14-2012, 08:09 AM
Of course you figured out the value of your work so the taxman can get his cut?

Speak up, bad line here

browne92
11-14-2012, 09:11 AM
It's one of two yards in this area where I can wander around.

The lawyers have effectively killed that off here. So many insurance restrictions and OSHA regs, they don't want you anywhere around the place. And there's the laziness. It's just easier to load it into a box car and ship it off. Even the automotive junk yards have gotten that way. Too much trouble to pull an engine. Just crush it and ship it out.

Rich Carlstedt
11-14-2012, 12:32 PM
Wow John , You bring a warm memory to mind , that was exactly like yours, but back in 1972
I was in Ontario, Canada ( Love those chaps !) running a manufacturing plant and we handled steel coils that weighed 25,000 pound for our stamping operation. In our town of 11,000 was a full machine shop that made Dies for Detroit ( Ford) They had cranes inside , but small / low doors on their plant . Because we had a 28,000 pound forklift, They would ask us to transfer 20,000 pound dies from their Low-boy plant trailer to a road transport for delivery ( or reverse) every month or so and we did it --gratus..they were a 1/4 mile down the road.
One day our big forklift suffered the exact same damage to the King Pin bearings that you repaired John.
Our shop only had a Elliot Vertical mill that had a smaller throat than a humming bird and no Bridgy , so we rushed it to the big shop for urgent work. It came back several hours later with a $800 bill attached. I told the Purchasing Agent to not pay it.
The week before we had transferred a rush die from Ford , for repair , that was going back to Ford later in the month.
The Low Boy came in and we made the transfer and I handed the startled driver a bill for 800 bucks.
He said ' we never had to pay before !" and I said "You do now after damaging my forktruck and then making me pay for it".
The Works manager called me later that day and apologised for the " dumb mistake"

We carried on normal after that.
Life can be easy, or you can make it hard !

Rich

Alistair Hosie
11-14-2012, 03:52 PM
Yea but can you put right Freds Anal Sphincter he snapped his bangle after a terrible bout of constipation,OUCH ?Alistair

justanengineer
11-14-2012, 05:04 PM
With a title like that and mention of the scrap man, the first thought that came to mind was some knucklehead was trying to sell John's big TOS back to him.

Good on you John for keeping the good luck a flowing...

John Stevenson
12-18-2012, 06:20 PM
So Friday, Gary from the scrap yard pops in and asks me to make him two blank plates so they can cap a hydraulic pump off whilst it goes for repair and they don't want to drain a 600 gallon tank.

Simple job, two bits of alloy round 2 1/2" diameter x 1/2" long with an O ring let into one face.

Dropped them off on Monday as I wanted to have a look round the yard for some more thick walled tube for bearing rings.

Get there and to one side is a complete Drummond round bed lathe in reasonable nick to say it got to be 70 years old, Go and tell Gary he's sitting on something that's quite valuable as they are a cult lathe here, freeking useless but still a cult late. :)

Asked him what he was doing with the lathe and he said it was scrap, I told him it was worth some money. He asked me how much it was worth but I said no you first what do you think ?

Stalemate, neither of us would go first <g> So I wrote 120 on a bit of paper and covered it with my hand, then it was up to him.

He said he still wasn't interested and he'd paid 10 for it. I asked him if he wanted me to sell it for him but he said no, if I gave him 20 I could take it and sell it for myself.

Magic, that was the 'exact' price those blanking plates came to, so went back up the yard to get one of the guys to load it in the Donald.

Then spotted a band saw at the side, one of the Chinese 6 x 4 type but with a swivel frame, never seen one of these, seen the smaller model but not the bigger one.

Back to Gary, is the saw scrap ?, yes, how much ?, just take it and fook off.

Can't say fairer than that

So today had a look at the lathe, needs a fair bit of TLC, motor runs, only one set of chuck jaws and some change wheels missing for the feed / screwcutting so will part this out as it stands [ note this is not an advert as most of you are Stateside anyway and the Brits won't want to pay 120 for a lathe I got for 20 ]

Had a look at the saw, blade is US for a start, no big deal. This one has a hydraulic damper on it but the ball at the top has snapped, again no big deal.
Problem with these saws is either the motor is no good or the brass worm strips in the gearbox.
Plugged it it, motor works, pulleys go round but no blade movement. Whip the top off the gearbox, worm OK and very clean inside. Throw the arm up and the wheel is going round but no blade movement because the adjusting bolt on the idler wheel is missing.

So it wants a new ball on the damper, a new blade and a new adjusting bolt, make me wonder why it was scrapped given it will still work without the damper.

Did a search on the net and these swivel saws are 500 each ..gulp

Peter.
12-18-2012, 06:46 PM
I sold one of those roundbeds for 60 last year and the guy loves it. I thought it was a hateful device :D

Black_Moons
12-18-2012, 07:48 PM
Back to Gary, is the saw scrap ?, yes, how much ?, just take it and fook off.

Can't say fairer than that
Did a search on the net and these swivel saws are 500 each ..gulp

Hahahaha. Lucky bastard. 'Yea, Just take your saw and fook off before you find something else, dude is costing me a fortune for 2 cap plates'

Yea, I got one of those swivel bandsaws, Real class act. Costly, but nice. Don't use the swivel much, even if it is easy as hell to set/reset due to the HUGE radius miter gauge built in.

So nice to tweak the downfeed. Autostop too (Via a metal bar that kinda presses the off button lol).

You got a seriously friend at that scrap yard!

browne92
12-19-2012, 12:57 AM
dude is costing me a fortune for 2 cap plates'
Wouldn't that be "bloke"? :rolleyes:

uncle pete
12-19-2012, 01:45 AM
Bloke or "wanker" depending on the exact situation and personality traits.

Pete

mike4
12-19-2012, 01:54 AM
Depends on which one wants something done .
Michael

MrFluffy
12-19-2012, 04:35 AM
I had a friend who had a workshop that he rented, and you had to walk through a scrapyard belonging to the landlord to get to it. I only visited him once, but I don't know how they got anything done, the place was full of old army vehicles being disposed of and other interesting gear. He told me when they were building something, they just wandered the heap till they found the materials they were short of.
I came away with a huge 1000L tank equipped fiac compressor for 40 that turned out to have bad crank bearings, a bucket full of lathe tooling and gears and all sorts of other stuff.

Theres a yard not far from me, full of all sorts of oddities. He had a vw type2 bus in there with no engine ,gearbox or suspension and doors rotted away etc but with a useable shell and documents that I had a eye on using to import my camper the easy way. "how much for that?" , "5000e pas offir". I looked round the yard and there's 40's cars tucked away in the weeds and things. That'll explain why his yard is full, he asks a bloody fortune for everything! He's not really a scrap merchant, just a hoarder who happened to have some space, and the mairee has legal action against him because his massive yard is RIGHT in the middle of a very picturesque village. Ill help tidy it up if they want, pop home with a few (jcb front) buckets full of gold as payment :) :)

Theres a chap up the road breaks & restores army lorries for a living, might wander up there see if theres any horse tradery to be done. Might end up with a v8 flathead on the log saw or something.

Charles P
12-19-2012, 01:10 PM
.... as they are a cult lathe here, freeking useless but still a cult late.

Learn to spell properly man

Charles