PDA

View Full Version : My PM problem

Gazz
11-14-2012, 04:17 PM
And maybe somebody else has the problem too. I can't do anything there other than read some of the old posts - if I go into the general forum, it shows me the same threads that have been there for days, all in the same order. I have tried to PM Mr. Milacron but I get a database error message. Same if I try to post a new thread or respond to a thread. It does tell me I am logged in and my user name is there at the top just like it used to be. Also, when I check the Antique machinery forum and the Gunsmithing forum I get just the stickys for the antique and nothing for the gunsmithing. So I can't see much of anything there anymore and cannot contact anybody. Anybody else have a similar problem? Anybody care to contact Mr. Milacron and relay this message for me? Thannks.

EddyCurr
11-14-2012, 04:35 PM
Looks like your most recent post there was 2012.11.08 - the hand warmer thread.

I logged into PM and have been able to dip into some of the subsections your mention
difficulty with, not to mention searching out your most recent history.

Perhaps try logging out and back in again. If that does not work, clearing your browser's
cache may help, but this will terminate other LogIns, such as your HSM connection, too.

Gazz
11-14-2012, 06:05 PM
Thanks for that. I tired logging off and back on but that did not change anything. I then tried "private browsing" which I guess shuts off your cookies but of course then I am logged off. So I logon and there it all is. I certainly do not know enough about how all this stuff works to even make an educated guess at what is happening but I least now I can contact a moderator there and let them know.

flylo
11-14-2012, 06:07 PM
Is this what's called PMS?

lazlo
11-14-2012, 06:08 PM
Like Eddy says, it sounds like you have a corrupted login cookie.

Try opening a different browser and log in. Or if you only have IE, close all your tabs, delete all your cookies, and try logging in again.

Gazz
11-14-2012, 06:34 PM
I'm using Firefox. This happened after they had the recent issues there. I think I got the database error message a few days ago when I tried to go to the site and then someone posted here about PM being down again. When it came back, I started having the problem so I assume something on their end.

lazlo
11-14-2012, 06:41 PM
I'm using Firefox.

Try logging in through IE.

PeteM
11-14-2012, 08:21 PM
As Lazlo and others suggest, you need to clear your history (cookies, etc.) and use another browser. That should do it.

toolmaker76
11-14-2012, 08:25 PM
I have a lot of problems with IE locking up and being slow, so for the most part I use Google Chrome for everything, and it is hit or miss over on PM using Chrome. 502 bad gateway error or something like that. If I use IE I can browse the web site with no problems (other than its IE).

grumpygator
11-14-2012, 08:47 PM
I got the same problem.I have been a member over there for 2 years and still can't post or view pics.I private mailed Milacron from their site tuesday and checked today and my account did not even show that I sent a PM.
Since he is a member here I will try to PM him from this site and would suggest you do the same.
Or if your brave you could PM Sir John and ask for his help as he is a moderator over there.
**********Just Saying***************************Gator************ *******

grumpygator
11-14-2012, 08:49 PM
I got the same problem.I have been a member over there for 2 years and still can't post or view pics.I private mailed Milacron from their site tuesday and checked today and my account did not even show that I sent a PM.
Since he is a member here I will try to PM him from this site and would suggest you do the same.
Or if your brave you could PM Sir John and ask for his help as he is a moderator over there.
**********Just Saying***************************Gator************ ***

J Tiers
11-14-2012, 08:50 PM
Read this info page, paying particular attention to the "how do I find my way around" part. You may have inadvertently changed the way you view posts and/or threads, because some methods can show threads oldest first, or most posted to first, etc. Some of those can make it look like they are all old threads.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_usage#faq_vb3_thread_display

You probably want to select "last post by", and make sure the arrow next to the heading is pointing down. if it is pointing up, just click the heading again.

MichaelP
11-15-2012, 08:36 AM
I'm having the same problem since yesterday. New Posts option doesn't work at all, etc.

Can anybody recheck it today and report here?

Thank you.

lakeside53
11-15-2012, 10:37 AM
No issues for me.

Zero_Divide
11-15-2012, 05:42 PM
Dunno about IE.
But for FF you have to go and clear all cashe, session and cookie history

This has fixed it for me.

MichaelP
11-16-2012, 01:06 AM
Thanks, guys. Looks like the site cured itself.

oldtiffie
11-16-2012, 05:31 PM
s*it happens.

It might be a problem with PM occassionally but week-end "shut-downs" by VP IT for "maintenance" can be a PITA if you are either not expecting it (they never give notice) during the week-end the more so if you are in the middle of typing or working on a large file in "memory".

It is getting less frequent lately but can be a PITA never the less.

George has done his best regarding better notice but apparently VP IT work in their own way.

So its not all PM when it comes to "problems".

You just got to be patient (a big "ask"?) or just put up with it (a bigger "ask"?) - note that I didn't say you have to like it though.