PDA

View Full Version : Punches and dies Anybody know what this stuff is worth?

Rustybolt
11-14-2012, 08:09 PM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b28/brmueller/puchesanddies002.jpg

my employer threw them in the scrap dumpster and I salvaged them.

sasquatch
11-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Are they from an "Ironworker" ?

wierdscience
11-14-2012, 09:22 PM
I just bought some new ones llast month at work for our little #1/2 Buffalo Ironworker.Round punches and dies are fairly cheap.IIRC the punches cost us $15-16 each and the dies were $18-20 new for US made Cleveland Steel Tool brand.So used in good shape to someone needing them assuming you have sets (1punch,1die) $15/set.

Now,the special shapes you have there,the square and triangular as well as oblong,those cost more.I bought a 9/16x1" slot punch and die set that set us back $125.Some of the wilder ones like the triangular ones can go for a good bit more.Assuming you have sets.

They won't be paired sized for size,they must have clearence to operate,so if you have as an example a 1/2 punch,the mating die will be 17/32 or 9/16.

If you want to chase down retail street prices,MCS sells the CST brand and stocks round,oblong and slot punch and dies.They have a chart in the catalog and CST has one on their site that will give you the dimensions for each series punch and die.Some of them will have the series number stamped on them,usually a three digit number like #416 as an example.

If you don't have matching sets or they are dull then they aren't worth much if anything.

Rustybolt
11-14-2012, 09:41 PM
No, Wierd. I was just going to put them on ebay, cheap.

sasquatch
11-14-2012, 10:03 PM
I would have grabbed them too!

Never know when you can make something out of stuff like that.

(Besides the Chinese would have grabbed these out of the scrap and copied them!!)

Rustybolt
11-14-2012, 11:27 PM
I would have grabbed them too!

Never know when you can make something out of stuff like that.

(Besides the Chinese would have grabbed these out of the scrap and copied them!!)

You got a punch press or an arbor press?

flylo
11-14-2012, 11:35 PM
I do, PM sent. Thanks!

sasquatch
11-15-2012, 09:11 AM
My son has a peddinghaus ironworker, i reconized those punches from that.

wierdscience
11-15-2012, 09:40 AM
No, Wierd. I was just going to put them on ebay, cheap.

Well then,either list them as a lot,or list them one at a time including the series# and size.Otherwise you will get a ton of questions and few buyers:D