PDA

View Full Version : mold making books

srecker
03-14-2004, 10:12 AM
Hello all. I been here for a few years lurking, with a few posts now and again.

Currently where I work, they are looking for help in our toolroom. We do a lot of custom die casting (alunimum and zinc) along with a fair amount of plastic injection molding. I want to move to the toolroom from the maintenance dept. What I am looking for is a couple of books on mold/die design or manufacture that will help me become productive sooner. I am currently taking courses at a community colledge, but the program is designed to lead a person to produciton cnc, which is not what I want to do, but it does offer 2 semesters of manual machining.

Being in maintenance, and working on injection molding machines and die cast machines, I know how the machines work and the process. I just need something to help now with my new job. I haven't looked anywhere for books yet, thought I would ask the experts here first, because I know when I go to Amazon.com and search for mold design I will probably come up with about thousand different books.

Scott

[This message has been edited by srecker (edited 03-14-2004).]

Peter S
03-14-2004, 06:19 PM
I only have one book "Injection Mould Design Fundamentals" by Glanvill and Denton, published by Industrial Press. It is still in print, but it was written in 1965, so there are sure to be other books published since then. It is written more for tool designers, not toolmakers.

http://www.industrialpress.com/

moldmonkey
03-14-2004, 08:58 PM
Mold Engineering by Herbert Rees is good. he was a VP of engineering at Husky. Fundamentals of Injection Molding by William J Tobin is good on the processing side. www.immnet.com (http://www.immnet.com) (Inj. Molding Magazine) has archives aand a online bookstore. Moldmaking Technology magazine has a website with archives.

I've worked 7 years in a captive toolroom for a injection molding plant, mainly cups and housewares. I did 1 year in press maint., too many 10 ft. cheater pipes and 100 gal. oil leaks. When I first started we were making our own molds then we were bought out and now we only make spare parts and repairs. My job is about 50% troubleshooting on the prod. floor, 40% bench, and 10% machine work. (I started a home shop so I could keep learning on the machine side.)

Hope you get the job. The maint. experience will help you in troubleshooting. Feel free to post here or e-mail off board.

Good luck, Jon

[This message has been edited by moldmonkey (edited 03-14-2004).]

Mcruff
03-14-2004, 11:54 PM
I have been building molds for 24 years and to be truthfully honest I haven't seen a book on the subject that was really worth a flip, most of the books were written by several German engineers and a large chunk of what they wright about is to technical to be of any use to anybody but an engineer and alot of the stuff they discuss is not applicable in the real world. I now work for a company that builds very large molds in the neighborhood of 15,000-100,000 lbs and compared to smaller molds they are JUNK and I mean that very sincerely, I served my apprenticeship building high precision electronics, lens, cameras, and medical molds that were toleranced in the + nothing minus.0002 that were all hardened including the mold base plates with thompson bearings for guided ejection and all that and most of your large molds can be built by any Tom Dick or Harry with a CNC, to be truthfully honest the best way to get ahead of the game is to find an older moldmaker in the 40-50 year old range that worked for someplace like Kodak, IBM, Amp or a company like Eaton and pick there brain real well, you will learn more in a few hours of asking questions than a book could teach you in 10 years of scanning over it.
I have designed 100's of molds and built them but most guys that build them never get a chance to design one, its kind of like being mechanically inclined versus not, there is no set way to build a mold there are a few guidelines that should be followed but alot of it is knowledge passed on from one moldmaker to the next or watch learn and listen. I learned my trade from my father and 5-6 really good toolmakers in the company I served my apprenticeship in, and my boss was a 50 year old Austrian that was one of the best I've ever seen. My father passed away several years ago, I found out about a year after he died that he had told several of our customers that I had learned so much from him and the other guys that I served my apprenticeship under that he felt the student had surpassed the teachers, man what a feeling that gave me, I always thought my father was one of the best due to his imagination and the ability to see something in reverse, so this really meant alot when I heard that.

I guess what I'm trying to say is nothing beats the desire to learn and a really good set of teachers when it comes to doing work like this. If it is what you want to do I wish you all the luck in the world and remember to strive to be better than everyone else but also be humble enough to admit someone else might be better or have a better ideas than you.

srecker
03-15-2004, 04:25 AM
Thank you all for the replies. I won't be starting my new job until they find a replacement for me in maintenance.

Moldmonkey

"I did 1 year in press maint., too many 10 ft. cheater pipes and 100 gal. oil leaks. "

Yeah, been there, done that.

Mcruff

I suspected that I wouldn't find a book to really help all that much, but thought I would ask. I have a good relationship with most of our toolmakers, getting them to mentor me shouldn't be a problem. Our shop is small, right now only six guys and four of them have been doing this kind of die/mold work for 20+ years. I am quite sure that some of the design work is done in house by our toolmakers because the owner doesn't want anyone outside the company finding out what new products we are developing. We make a lot of farm toys and it is a very competitive market (which isn't these days?).

Scott

dvideo
03-15-2004, 12:23 PM
I think the farm toy maker you mention is the same one that, many years ago, bothered to explain the "how to's" of consumer packaging/design to me. Few minutes of their time, used for my whole lifetime. I wish you the best...

--jr

dvideo
03-15-2004, 12:25 PM
On a related question, I have thought about getting a small, used injection machine to learn and use at my site. A Boy 10 or 15S seems to be small enought to handle and work with. Supported, simple, and can actually do some small precision parts - (obviously low runs..). Any preferences here?

--jerry

srecker
03-16-2004, 01:39 AM
dvideo

If I where looking for a small injection machine I would go a little bit bigger in tonnage, a 50 or 75 ton machine isn't all that big and I think you would find it capable of doing quite a lot. Where I used to work we had a New Britain (HPM) and I thought it was a smooth running machine, it was 110 ton (8' X 3' X 5'). I also like the Van Dorns because the hydraulics always seemed simpler to work on (maybe its just me though). I would also becarefull of what type of control you get with it. The older machines where relay logic and timers, but as they get newer you will start to find them with early industrial "computers" and they are harder to troubleshoot. Ideally you would find one retrofitted with a PLC, but they might be higher in price. I do know machines from the 70's in just about any size will be pretty cheap, my old boss had a 75 ton machine given to him. My current boss has bought all kinds of different sizes of machines for less than a thousand bucks, many under $500.00. Hope this was of some help. O.K. enough rambling, of to bed I go.

Scott