PDA

View Full Version : K&S taps and dies

chucketn
11-16-2012, 03:35 PM
Anyone use K&S taps and dies? Just ordered 2 2-56 taps and die and a 4-40 die from Hobbylinc. Website says they are Japanese. Hope they're good ones. Couldn't find 2-56 taps or dies locally at all, and most web tool stores have them in sets with taps and dies I already have.
I even stopped at the local Ace hardware that carries Irwin-Hanson and they didn't go below 4-40 taps and no 4-40 dies.

Chuck

Bob Fisher
11-16-2012, 05:19 PM
I would go to McMaster Carr for taps and dies. They always carry brand name stuff, mostly made in the USA. Their prices are reasonable and their delivery in unmatched. Bob.

achtanelion
11-16-2012, 05:42 PM
I've used K&S. They're decent, and the price at my local hobby shop keeps me coming back. Some form of rigid setup is essential for these small taps. I've snapped a couple.

J

JoeFin
11-16-2012, 07:03 PM
The difference between Asian made and Quality USA made taps is NIGHT and DAY

Nothing worse then 5-6 hours of mill work on a precision piece only to snap off a dull tap inside at the very end.

Morse, Greenfield, Butterfield to name a few

PixMan
11-16-2012, 08:27 PM
Morse is still a USA maker.

Greenfield was bought by Kennametal, who recently sold it a Chinese company, though they haven't yet moved all of their products to offshore manufaturing.

Union Butterfield was bought out by Precision Twist Drill, a company owned by Sandvik AB. PTD was later joined with Dormer, and as of last year both are now rolled into Sandvik Coromant. I don't think they make anything under the Union Butterfield name anymore, nor do I know where they make any of their tools.

The quality of HSS tooling is no longer a matter of where it's made, rather how it is made.