PDA

View Full Version : Interesting 2 days...Gloat material including 10ee and Wohlhaupter....

cuemaker
11-17-2012, 04:41 PM
After talking to Flylo and one of his friends, I had the "chance" to pickup a square plate Monarch 10ee for $500... The picture of it made it look great. Many thanks to Flylo for the opportunity.

I arrive with a coworker, truck and trailer, the lathe turns out to be a 10ee, but a 1944 round dial, with some missing handles and a missing tailstock. I look up the cost of the tailstock and decline. Seller was upset that he lathe was misrepresented. He had his daughter do the ebay listing and used a picture of another 10ee that they had sold previously. He tries to get me to buy it for scrap, but i dont want to mess with it.

So the seller fills the truck with gas, gives us a 20 for lunch and apologizes up and down. I then ask him if I can buy the taper attachment, as I am sure I can resell that. He says sure, helps me take off it off, then says its free.

So here is the free gloat....

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/xringx/DSCF0086.jpg

Today, I drive an hour and 10 mins to pick up a complete Wohlhaupter UPA 3. The box has every original tool included. I paid $225.00 for the Wohlhaupter....

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/xringx/DSCF0090.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/xringx/DSCF0091-1.jpg

Gloat on!!

armedandsafe
11-17-2012, 04:57 PM
HEY! I get to be first, for once.

YOU SUCK! :D

Pops

flylo
11-17-2012, 04:59 PM
Good for you! I was feeling really bad about passing the 10EE deal to you then finding out what happened. What go's around does come around because Cuemaker called me about a deal I might want & I thought I was passing a great deal to him.
BTW YOU SUCK!

Mcgyver
11-17-2012, 05:06 PM
at the top of the taper attachment in the pic, is that a micrometer head? i've a 10ee with taper but not that option, nice! You will really enjoy having a quality boring head, makes it comparatively easy to make holes the size you want :)

John Stevenson
11-17-2012, 05:08 PM
Someone just gave away the manual on the Wohlhaupter in the last couple of days over on homeworkshop.org.uk

No joke and it wasn't me.

sasquatch
11-17-2012, 06:05 PM
Very nice find,, and the seller certainly was more than fair in your'e treatment.
Not a lot of people that would do that.

(The ole Tool/machine detective sure finds some great stuff.) Lol

cuemaker
11-17-2012, 07:09 PM
Yes, seller was very fair.

I think I have found a copy of the manual online for the Wohlhaupter....will have lots of reading to do.

I was looking for a boring head, and was going to buy a $100ish cheapy.. then saw the Craigslist ad for the Wohlhaupter for $500...After some research, I offered $200. He countered..we met, struck a deal.

Now to put an R8 shank on it...

lazlo
11-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Great find on the Wohlhaupter! You know that's an auto-feed boring head, right? :)

cuemaker
11-17-2012, 07:44 PM
yes...but how to make it work???? NO FN CLUE...guess that is what the manual is for....

justanengineer
11-17-2012, 09:40 PM
You were offered a 10ee at scrap price, didnt take it, then pilfered it for parts to resell without passing along a tip either here or PM?....Dang....not even Im that cruel.

Still amongst the very large crowd in dreaming of owning an ee....

becksmachine
11-17-2012, 10:20 PM
yes...but how to make it work???? NO FN CLUE...guess that is what the manual is for....

Grab and stop the knurled ring while the unit is rotating. Each revolution advances the slide.

The amount of advance per revolution is selectable also.

Dave

beckley23
11-17-2012, 10:44 PM
Mcgyver,Yes, that is the vernier adjustment. One revolution of the knob is 1*, and has 60 divisions.
Harry

cuemaker
11-17-2012, 11:47 PM
You were offered a 10ee at scrap price, didnt take it, then pilfered it for parts to resell without passing along a tip either here or PM?....Dang....not even Im that cruel.

Still amongst the very large crowd in dreaming of owning an ee....

Mr Engineer... The lathe is still available. I would love to own an ee, but I dont have the funds to put one back together, and really no room to have one sit.

If you want to put something together, let me know. I already have offers for the pieces I have, but can hold off selling if your really serious.

PM me, I will be up for a while...

cuemaker
11-17-2012, 11:49 PM
Grab and stop the knurled ring while the unit is rotating. Each revolution advances the slide.

Dave

Thank you for the simple explanation. I will be playing with it soon. Today I am rearranging my garage and doing some cleaning......

Mcgyver
11-18-2012, 12:37 AM
Mcgyver,Yes, that is the vernier adjustment. One revolution of the knob is 1*, and has 60 divisions.
Harry

interesting. the DSG has a micrometer on the taper attachment but the graduations are in .002" per foot not minutes. Not that I've seen dozens of 10ee taper attachments but I hadn't seen one like that....do you think the micrometer is fairly common or more of a rare accessory?

beckley23
11-18-2012, 11:27 AM
IIRC, some of the early EE's didn't have it, apparently it was an option. I think it safe to say, all the EE's after 1950 had the vernier adjust as standard. For some reason they get removed from the machine, but seem to be very hard to find later on. I made the one that is on the "Wreck", which is '64 Modular.
Harry

lazlo
11-18-2012, 12:21 PM

The Wally manual is here (thanks to our Aussie brethren!):

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=547FE296ECFD561F&id=547FE296ECFD561F!171&sc=documents