PDA

View Full Version : Waay OT My halloween Heart attack

KIMFAB
11-18-2012, 06:49 PM
Haven't been on for a while.
I'm writing this as a warning to the other Big Fat White Guys out there with the bad genes.
Warning, graphic material

Last fall I was diagnosed with legit acid reflux and was treated at the local hospital.
Everything started to get better but along about April was giving me grief again.
Went in for an EKG and it looked OK so I figured my ticker was still good.

During the summer my stress load magnified and by October I could hardly walk the 50 ft to the shop.
Luckily my doc basically forced me to see a cardiologist and he took another EKG

With the recent comparison of the April test he advised an angiogram so off I go to the hospital.

Here's the good part

It's the morning of halloween
I'm lying on this table while these guys are sticking a tube into my arm and into my heart.
I'm awake and in the semi groggy state they have you in for this test.

The head doc is saying "we'll have to redo this one, that one is completely plugged" etc
Then out of nowhere someone drops a fully loaded cement truck on my chest.
The pain, which was a 2 or 3 on a scale of 10 suddenly goes to a 12. I black out.

The elephant starts to get off my chest and I hear "Ahh he's coming back, how is your pain Mr Hudrlik?

Seems that when they do these things, if the heart is really bad it can trigger an attack,
so they have this guy with nothing else to do but watch for it and when it happens,
give you a shot of the magic juice.

Ended up with a balloon pump in my heart to keep it going while I was wheeled into ICU for the
bypass operation scheduled for the next day.

That nite I had a nurse at my side at all times that had to call for a relief if they had to leave.

I wake up the next day with this tube down my throat and 2 more coming out of my belly,
one in the groin and several out of my neck. Of course there is the much needed catheter.

I was supposed to get 5 bypasses but they only did 4 because of the extensive damage where the 5th was to go.
3 days later they remove the balloon pump and every other day pull out a couple more tubes.

Left the hospital on the 9th after walking around my section and climbing a flight of stairs.

The moral of the story is, pay attention to your ticker, I was extremely lucky,
the doc tells me another week might have done it and a stress test certainly would have triggered it.
That's about all I can do now, still a bit weak. I'll fill in more if there is any interest.

RetiredFAE
11-18-2012, 07:10 PM
Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery!

Were you at UMC in Vegas? Can't remember seeing a hospital in Logandale last time I was there visiting, hopefully they have one now, long way to Mesa View Hospital in Mesquite, or UMC in Vegas if you are in dire straights.

3 of my buddies here in Pahrump, who had pretty much the same experience you just described, are alive because of the Flite For Life air crews and the good Drs. at UMC Las Vegas.

Our local "hospital" couldn't handle their situations, so they were airlifted to Vegas.

UMC supposedly has one of the finest Cardiac care facilities in the country.

mike4
11-18-2012, 08:00 PM
Man were you in the right place at the time, i hope you recover ok and take care , lifes too short .
Michael

flylo
11-18-2012, 08:25 PM
Glad your going to be OK & thanks for the heads up!

alanganes
11-18-2012, 08:28 PM
Haven't been on for a while.
I'm writing this as a warning to the other Big Fat White Guys out there with the bad genes.

<graphic, interesting and scary stuff snipped...>

The moral of the story is, pay attention to your ticker, I was extremely lucky,
the doc tells me another week might have done it and a stress test certainly would have triggered it.
That's about all I can do now, still a bit weak. I'll fill in more if there is any interest.

My oldest daughter is a cardiac nurse. She has lots & lots of scary stories like this, many have bad endings. Made me lose 30+ pounds and get lots of my test numbers in line. Good post and really glad you are around to post it. Good reminder for most all of us. Pay attention guys!

Hang in and get well.

browne92
11-18-2012, 09:06 PM
Doesn't apply to only Big Fat White Guys....us scrawney ones can have bad genes too. Have never weighed more than 175 and had mine at age 40.

Glad to hear you're doing well.

A.K. Boomer
11-18-2012, 09:44 PM
Glad your going to be Ok Kimfab... life's short but can always be a whole lot shorter too...

My oldest daughter is a cardiac nurse. She has lots & lots of scary stories like this, many have bad endings. Made me lose 30+ pounds and get lots of my test numbers in line. Good post and really glad you are around to post it. Good reminder for most all of us. Pay attention guys!

Hang in and get well.

My Bro's wife was a cardiac nurse also - he woke up one night with her frantically beating on his chest yelling out all kinds of phrases and CC's of such and such - totally freaked him out - he had to grab her and stop her cuz it was getting real serious, talk about taking your work home with you...

Evan
11-19-2012, 01:48 AM
Have your cholesterol and total lipids levels checked. That is the best indicator of long term trouble early in the game. Not everyone that is fat has high cholesterol and not everyone that is skinny has it low. Like most things it is partially genetic and in some cases all genetic. If you have familial hypercholesterolemia your weight is not a reliable indicator.

See here for the good information: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001429/

Glad that you survived.

uncle pete
11-19-2012, 08:12 AM
Yep plus one on what everyone else has already said. And you certainly don't need to be overweight to have high cholesterol. I'm most certainly not now and have never been over weight. When I had my stent put in they advised me that 1 in a thousand don't survive the procedure, never mind what you just went through.

Pete

winchman
11-19-2012, 08:17 AM
Makes me realize how incredibly lucky I am. My grandparents, my parents, and most of the family have lived to ripe old ages before having serious problems. My brother, who is 71 and four years older than me, is still getting around very well. I had to go through the new patient routine the last time I went to my doctor, since I hadn't been in for over three years.

Of course, I've been doing my part, too. I've been exercising regularly for the last forty years, and I haven't missed a day in almost three years of doing my 45-minute walking and stair climbing routine. That's in addition to the exercise I get in the welding shop six hours a day four days a week. On days that I don't get much other exercise, I'll do the walking/climbing routine twice.

None of that is a guarantee that I won't kick off today, but I'm hoping my luck holds out.

jr45acp
11-19-2012, 09:49 AM
Glad to hear you're on the mend. In July, I had an angiogram and a carotid arteriogram. The next day, I had my left carotid artery reamed out (98 % blocked) then two days later had a triple bypass. That was July 31 a Friday and I left the hospital on the following Monday. The cardiovascular surgeon who, in my perception, was not a man to resort to profanity to get a point across actually told me that I "f ing" shouldn't have been alive and that as I had no symptoms, that I had dodged two huge bullets. Actually I feel better now and people are commenting me on how much better my "color" is.

My perspective, everyone needs to take the time to get routine checkups and monitoring. My situation started because of a negligible change in my EKG.

ricksplace
11-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Join the club. I had a major heart attack Dec. 31, 2011. 3 stents and I'm still upright and pumpin. I had three arteries plugged 95, 97, and 100%.

When I went home from ICU I couldn't stand up for more than 15 minutes without lying down. Almost a year later and rigid adherance to a strict cardio rehab of diet and exercise, I can now run at 10km/hr for 2k. I don't buy lottery tickets anymore. I figure I used up all of my good luck and most of someone else's too. Looks like I'll be seeing my 60th birthday, much to the amazement of my cardiologist.
I also had a very atypical attack. As the OP mentioned, I had no pain for quite a while, then sudden heavy pain that can only be described as a transport truck parked on your chest.

Sure gives a person a different lookout on life.

bborr01
11-19-2012, 10:33 AM
Kimfab,

Glad to hear that you are doing well.

Every healthy man wears a crown but it takes a sick man to see it.

Brian

michigan doug
11-19-2012, 01:08 PM
Glad to hear you're doing well, all things considered.

First, the lawyer crap. I'm not a cardiologist. I'm an eye doctor. This is not medical advice, since I've never seen you. Blah blah blah.

My two cents.

We had a high priced cardiologist at one of our CE events a few years ago. 200 is the official magic number for total cholesterol. But it's way more complicated than that. You want more of the "good" and less of the "bad". Exercise counts for a lot. It's hard to underestimate how much exercise counts. Genetic disposition counts for a lot. If your liver is determined to make too much cholesterol, like say, 300, you're gonna die early because of it unless you take drugs, usually some kind of statin.

He said that, until recently, nobody had ever done a study to determine what the optimal level of cholesterol is. We only knew that if it was too high, that was bad. The study he referenced was finding and studying some tribe in the jungles of the amazon. This group virtually never has cardiac/vasculature problems. As a group, their total cholesterol was well under 100. They did eat meat, but not a lot. And when they did, it involved chasing/tracking it for half a day, shooting it with a bow and arrow and chasing it some more. Gobs of exercise for everybody. NO obesity. Little meat and lots of vegetable matter.

It is extremely difficult to get your cholesterol under 100. I'm not even going to try. But it does put us on notice that we shouldn't be patting ourselves on the back if our total cholesterol is 195.

Why does meat taste so dang good anyway?

Did I mention my mom and stepdad raise grass fed ~organic beef with just a little corn at the end to get nice marbling? And she brings me a cooler of steaks and roasts and hamburger every time she visits. And I get a free pig from a local farmer every year. It's HARD I tell you.

doug

Elninio
11-19-2012, 03:21 PM
What's the connection with your acid reflux?

Elninio
11-19-2012, 03:24 PM
I once blacked out during driving, and have a family history. I'm not fat, not skinnny. One twin died at a young age due to misformed heart valves and septum. It can happen to young people too, have worked at a medical department named after a researcher that died at 27. A family history is a better indicator than a cholesterol test (lets not split hairs here, they're obviously two different things). If you have records going back three or four generations, you are extremely lucky.

A.K. Boomer
11-19-2012, 05:33 PM
Little meat and lots of vegetable matter.

doug

And just as important raw fruit and vegetable matter,

I stated this before and i'll state it again, genetic disposition is only good and reliable if your continuing to make the same mistakes as your recent ancestors did,
If not then you can toss most of it into the garbage bin, anotherwords - its the right thing to go by if your doing the wrong thing, It really has nothing to do with "good genetics" , It's simply a great way to find out who's the best cockroach and can withstand the most long term dose of poison...

Another way to look at it is that Tribe in the amazon would most likely Kack-out far earlier than most of us if they ate nothing but dead animal flesh and cooked sludge - and we could find a "gene" for that - and label it "bad"
Yet here they are - better track record than anyone, why? because they are living within the means of proper biological function - no tricks guys - real simple, their just doing most of the things that got them here in the first place,
disobey this simple rule and live either a real short life or one of holy hell...

Evan
11-19-2012, 09:18 PM
It is extremely difficult to get your cholesterol under 100. I'm not even going to try. But it does put us on notice that we shouldn't be patting ourselves on the back if our total cholesterol is 195.

There is such a thing as too low cholesterol. I had it too low for about 40 years and that is a very likely contributor to my recent stroke. The body requires cholesterol. Your nerves are made from it and a certain amount is required to strengthen the lining of all blood vessels. Too low cholesterol is associated with Cerebral Microbleeds and haemorrhagic stroke. It isn't a linear connection. Down to certain level a little under 100 there is no major difference. Then, below that the risk jumps to five to ten times normal. Mine was around 60 because of my celiac disease.

Evan
11-19-2012, 09:21 PM
And just as important raw fruit and vegetable matter,

Vegetables are what food eats.

Dr Stan
11-19-2012, 09:43 PM
Why does meat taste so dang good anyway?

The short answer is: "cause God made it that way".

OK, enough sillyness. I'm heavier than I should be about 230 and I'd like to be around 175. My reason/excuse is that when I quit smoking 18 years ago I put on the weight and have not been able to get it off. I have a family history of heart trouble on my Mom's side (she had multiple heart attacks & quadruple bypass surgery) and aneurisms and strokes on my Dad's side. I take Colestipol for my cholesterol as statins mess with my liver enzymes. :(

So far so good, but my luck or whatever can run out.

Glad to hear you are recovering.

oldwing
11-19-2012, 10:05 PM
What's the connection with your acid reflux?

Not the OP, but I've had my share of stents, etc. I dodged the widow maker by a day.

The acid reflux thing is that angina can feel precisely the same as acid reflux. Acid reflux is frequently caused by a hiatal hernia (one doc told me that he thinks 40% of the country have hiatal hernias) and can give you the pain down the left arm, pressure on the chest, etc. That's what makes it so difficult to diagnose, because if you're prone to acid reflux and this happens, you think, heck, it's that reflux thing again, when it's actually the beginnings of a coronary.

The important thing is to not be stupid and tough it out. Get it checked out so you can be around to bitch how much modern medicine costs and then thank God that it was there when you needed it. Docs can darn near work miracles these days, but they need a bit of time to do it.

A.K. Boomer
11-19-2012, 10:44 PM
Vegetables are what food eats.

Cannibal

KIMFAB
11-19-2012, 11:06 PM
The acid reflux can give you the chest pains and out of breath feeling same as a bad heart.
That's what threw me off.
I had actual acid reflux that ended up in hospital treatment.

The problem was that I also had the heart problems that I ignored, especially after the good EKG.

Thanks for the link Evan I'll have to check it out when I can set longer altho my cholesterol was 140.

Black Forest
11-20-2012, 01:25 AM
Get yourself a 20 year old girlfriend with a high libido! That will get you the exercise you need.

Glad to hear you are taking precautions to stay with us.

Evan
11-20-2012, 01:30 AM
Cannibal

Just try being a vegetarian with gluten intolerance. I am even mildly sensitive to corn and some types of wild rice. I am so sensitive to gluten that a few milligrams will make me very ill for a week.

A.K. Boomer
11-20-2012, 10:02 AM
I know all about restricted diets - Im not as gluten sensitive as you but I do avoid it, along with dairy and just about anything refined, isn't it crazy how most of us start off as kids eating just about anything we want and then it's like our guts turn against us?, it's really what happened to me at around 40, there's so many things that happen to our near 30ft of tubing along the way, it turns into a divestive system instead of a digestive system.
It's actually far worse than that - Our guts don't even "belong" to us anymore, it's the ultimate entitlement program and has been taken over by all kinds of free-loading parasites from bacteria to candida yeast - species that have survived and evolved inside us right along with us from the get-go.

Some have become such masters at hitching a ride they actually control our thoughts and tell us when and what to feed them - in the case of Candida which most everyone has in the more "advanced" country's the yeast will actually release a chemical that triggers the brain to crave sugar - its favorite food, That's right - its tells you when its hungry and you feed it what it wants... some people have so much in their guts there blood alcohol actually goes way up after a good sugar gorging as you guessed it - alcohol is the by-product of what you get when yeast consumes sugar...

The amazon tribe that MD brought up has yet another advantage over modern society and it's more than just what they eat, it's the fact that sometimes they don't eat at all, Again - they mimmick what got them here in the first place - there should be big gaps once in awhile between eating - called fasting.
it starves all the free-loaders -it's natures way of giving them the boot.
but its never realized in our modern society - for now we have these things called refrigerators and packaging and also the fact that hunger is a dirty little word when it should actually be the norm once in awhile. remember - hungers ok and in fact really really good on occasion - it's that starvation thing you want to try and avoid...

Now don't go blaming the parasites - their not "bad" or "evil" or anything like that, there just simply doing what any opportunistic lifeform would do, remember - your the one feeding them 24/7 and taking great care of them and giving them a nice warm moist place to thrive,
You can also try this as an experiment in the larger world of opportunistic parasites ---- if you live in the city put up a huge sign on your house "Free room and board"
I can guarantee you within minutes your private little ecosystem will not be your own anymore - in fact you will be laboring very hard just to support all your new guests - I can also tell you because it came so easy to them they really won't take care of the place - in fact the harder you work to make them comfortable the more they will trash the place - want to hear something really sad - this is the internal struggle that's going on in most peoples guts...

Here's the thing - If you actually counted all the surface area of our intestines with the little villi and all the nooks and crannies and spread them out they would be the size of a tennis court - it's where we gather our life force from - and if it don't "feel good" I can assure you that neither will you.

Im hearing allot of complaints about ailments on this board - but it's no different than anyplace else, it seems to have become the norm.
about 8 years ago I felt like I was anywhere from 70 to 90 years old and now im more or less in my mid 30's - big improvement for a guy who's over a half century,
It's so good that im back to giving guys a run for their money on my Mt. bike that are not only half my age but in very good shape...
the only pills I take are glucosimine/condrotin and vitD3 if im not getting much sun...

Like I said - I hear allot of complaints on here - and I know how it is, I don't however believe in patch work anymore than I would want to fix peoples cars with duct tape and or bailing wire... so as far as all the "miracles" of modern technology im really not impressed... I believe they are missing the big picture...

this isn't an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure - it's more like one gram up against a ton,
that being said there are many of us that have already "screwed the pooch" so to speak - so yes patchworks all that's left... there is a point of no return and it's sooner than most people think.

This also is not some kind of "health gloat" - Im simply just doing my best and don't feel like im totally out of the woods yet I have a genuine concern for anyone who is suffering because awhile back I felt like I was the king of pain...

I hit the book's with a foggy brain that would barely function, I went looking for answers as to "why" this is happening,
IMO there are 5 basic rules you have to in this modern society to achieve good health - Iv said enough already but if anyone want's to know just ask and I will list them - they all are vital - and they all make good sense and I can explain each and every one of them...

here's wishing you guys the best and happy holidays - esp. to you Kimfab...

KIMFAB
11-23-2012, 08:16 PM
Got a thousand parts out today.
Was in the middle of a JIT job when this started and now I'm good till mid January.

Would like to close this out with a marveling about the technology available today.
My dad died of the exact same thing in '71 with no chance of survival
and here 40 years later I am not only here but can handle some light duty work after 3 weeks.

danlb
11-24-2012, 01:32 AM
Oh, the thread's not closed yet. :)

Dr Stan ( and others), there is a relatively easy way to lose those extra pounds so that your over all health will improve. The old maxim "Move more, eat less" sounds easy, but many people find it does not work and don't know why. The missing piece is almost always just knowledge about foods and metabolism.

In truth, eating just 100 calories a day less than normal will make a difference in 1 pound of weight over the course of a month.

You don't need to know anything about either of them to use a free program such as "loseit" or "My fitness pal" on your PC or smart phone. In only a few weeks you learn to identify the "low fat foods" that are high in calories, or the foods where you are eating 2 or more "servings" in a single meal. It also helps you discover your metabolic base rate so that you eat enough that you are not hungry.

Like many on here, I have terrible cholesterol and have had heart surgery and blocked arteries treated with stents. I dropped from 215 pounds to 155 over the course of a year using the above programs. I've kept it off, even through two Christmases. My cholesterol has dropped from 220 (while using heavy medications) to under 150 using about 2/3 of the medicine.

We have great tools now. I routinely watch the echo-cardiogram as they check my valves and arteries. It's neat to watch the blood flow, and encouraging to see the restricted arteries are no worse than the time before. I live in the SF bay area for a many reasons, and excellent medical care is one of those reasons.

Dan

kc5ezc
11-24-2012, 11:34 AM
O.K. Mr Boomer: I'm asking. I'd like to hear about the five basic rules, please.
Thanks

A.K. Boomer
11-24-2012, 11:53 AM
I do appreciate you asking - I have to work today but will do a small write up later. Thanks

A.K. Boomer
11-25-2012, 01:07 PM
Ok - for what it's worth here's what has turned things around for me but it took time to do so - it's my belief that it also took lots of time to get out of balance so it figures that you cannot spin things around on a dime - there is no magic pill for what we do to ourselves, you don't slap muther nature in the face day in and day out for decades and then expect her to be nice to you - disobeying simple rules of proper biological function has it's consequences...

I would also like to say that although I made leaps and bounds I don't feel like im completely out of the woods and also don't think I "have all the answers" - Good ole ma nature seems to also be in ka-hoots with murphy's law in the fact that the second you think you have it kicked you will then be receiving your arss on a platter shortly after, so im not cocky when it comes to good health, that being said I believe there are some very important fundamentals that we have forgot about in our modern society and I have listed them down below...

#1; raw/live food VS cooking,
food is alive - it's teaming with enzymes, enzymes are needed for life (and proper digestion) , without internal enzyme activity we would die within seconds. the average enzyme perishes at just 117 degree's F,
Humans are the only species on the planet that applies heat to their food before they eat it, we also suffer from thousands of different ailments mostly because of ignoring how we got here in the first place, cook only what you must.

#2; Proper meal combining - certain foods go well with others and digest properly - others don't,
this is not theory - it's fact,
we "own" a multitude of various digestive secretions - some of which are completely incompatible,
combining both animal proteins and starches (meat and potatoes - a typical hamburger - fish and chips)
creates a situation where one secretion ( HC acid to digest the meat) is neutralized by another (high alkaline ptyalin to digest the starch) This leaves the meal to putrefy inside us... bad practice that will not only make you feel bad for the moment but if continued will result in serious health consequences...

#3; Fasting - fasting should be the norm - I covered as to why in the previous post, it also gives the digestive system a break and allows it to heal and allows the body to cleanse itself.

#4; Alkalizing - eating foods that alkalize the body - whole raw fruits and Vegetables (but not at the same time - bad meal combining practice)
Our modern day diets are extremely acidic - our blood PH has to remain at a constant or we die - we will literally rob calcium from our very own bones to buffer our blood PH if our diet does not include enough alkalizing substance... If your eating whole raw fruits and vegetables your already alkalizing,
Contrary to popular belief we are not carnivores - we have close to 3 times the length of intestines in comparison to a true carnivore - we secrete only 1/10 the HC acid that a true carnivore does...

That's why humans who eat meat allot are at extreme high risk of getting colon cancer - for one we don't have the capabilities to fully digest it in the first place - and two it sits in us and rots long after a true carnivore would have expelled it...

Like it or not we started out the same as the great apes and they for the most part are frugivores, we also share near identical digestive secretions and intestinal length.

#5; exercise and stress management, this one speaks for itself...

I do believe all the above are important - personally iv been at this so long now that if I get lax on any one of these I will start to pay a price for it,
so - for what it's worth I wish you all well.. and if you have something constructive to add that would be great too...

Deja Vu
11-25-2012, 02:23 PM
I'm in agreement with you A. K. Those little critters inside me are total pests when they are constantly sending signals to my brain.
Like that little devil on one's shoulder saying, "Go ahead and eat it - you'll feel better!".

I could tell you some unbelievable stories when fasting often, once for up to 19 days.....water only. And yet remaining an active participant in the physical work force.

A.K. Boomer
11-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Wow im on awe - I only made it 8 days and had to have a very free work week,

it's funny how I thought I was going to die the first day though and now I just forget to eat for that long sometimes,,,

ha - I know all about those voices - old GF would bring home a massive cake and then Id hear her the next day - where is it ? I only got one sliver of a piece - what did you do with it? urp - I don't feel good...