PDA

View Full Version : O.T. Did Chrome browser become slower

Orrin
11-18-2012, 07:37 PM
Two weeks ago I noticed that Chrome suddenly started to struggle while trying to connect with Web sites. Often it would time out and return a 404, not found error message. Firefox didn't have any trouble, whatsoever. I use Chrome on two computers and both behaved in the same fashion. I wonder if a Chrome update may have changed it for the worse.

Has anyone else noticed this problem with Chrome? Any ideas?

Orrin

GNM109
11-18-2012, 08:54 PM
Two weeks ago I noticed that Chrome suddenly started to struggle while trying to connect with Web sites. Often it would time out and return a 404, not found error message. Firefox didn't have any trouble, whatsoever. I use Chrome on two computers and both behaved in the same fashion. I wonder if a Chrome update may have changed it for the worse.

Has anyone else noticed this problem with Chrome? Any ideas?Orrin

Yes, it has been slower but not all of the time. It seems to come and go with my system. I recently changed to WIN 7 and with it I got Windows Live Mail which is a dreadful program. I changed to Gmail and later Google Chrome several weeks ago. It ran very fast until just recently. I'm sorry but I have no idea why. Yesterday I couldn't get it to load even after clearing cache and cookies but tonight it's working reasonably well....it's a mystery.

I'll just watch this thread to see if someone has an answer.

caveBob
11-18-2012, 09:54 PM
Try Opera (http://www.opera.com/browser/features/#popular)?

oldtiffie
11-19-2012, 12:47 AM
I have Windows Live Mail and it works well enough for any emailing I do - or get.

It replace the previous Windows e-mail utility (OutLook Excpress) which is not being supported now.

I usually use my ISP's web mail as all my email is stored on his server - it ain't lovely and has limited bells and whistles and works well enough for me too.

Evan
11-19-2012, 01:21 AM
Chrome is actually about 20% faster that it was. They are trying some experiments with DNS pipelining and some other "enhancements". These may not work with your provider. You can check and change the settings by entering chrome://flags/ in the address bar.

Evan
11-19-2012, 01:24 AM
...Windows Live Mail which is a dreadful program

You are being far too nice. It is a piece of shlt. I hate the ribbon command bar. Everything is absolutely disorganized with no way to fix it. It has numerous other shortcomings as well.

oldtiffie
11-19-2012, 01:51 AM
As I said, so far as I am concerned it is a pretty basic but pretty good "pile of $hit".

No one who gets emails from me when I use it instead of web mail complains about it (to me anyway) and the info/data suits them too.

So it performs a pretty basic function well enough.

lakeside53
11-19-2012, 01:59 AM
I hate change (well, maybe just reluctantly) and hated the ribbons at first.. but.... now i like them. I use most Office apps, Visio and of course Outlook - all have ribbons that can be customized. On Outlook I only have 5 items on mine, but the "full" ribbons are only a couple of clicks way.

Evan
11-19-2012, 03:54 AM
I don't use MS Office. Can't stand it either. I use a program suite from Germany called SoftMaker Office Professional 2012. It is extremely compatible with MS Office but is much nicer to use. It has all the features and maybe more and is a tenth the price which I am happy to pay. It doesn't slow down even on a 200 page document and the backround automatic save never interrupts the work even on very large files. The spreadsheet and word processor can be integrated with each other and it is extremely customizable. And, it does NOT have a ribbon. It also creates PDfs and many other formats including all the MS office formats in the entire MS Office suite back to Office 95. I have written hundreds of pages with it over the last several years and the upgrade policy is very generous. I bought an old version (2008) for $10 and that entitled me to upgrade to 2010 for $35. I just upgraded again to 2012 for $35.

It also generates very clean, compact and tidy HTML which displays correctly including fonts.

EVguru
11-19-2012, 04:21 AM
I find it very useful to use Windows Explorer to upload files to my webspace via ftp.

Installing Chrome sabotages this process and you have to repair the registry to get it to work again.

bjmh46
11-19-2012, 06:26 AM
You are being far too nice. It is a piece of shlt. I hate the ribbon command bar. Everything is absolutely disorganized with no way to fix it. It has numerous other shortcomings as well.

Evan,
You are now being far too nice! I feel the same about a lot of the more recent MS software. I am more and more gravitating toward free and open source software since I refuse to pay for what you so aptly describe as pieces of shlt!

Regards
Bob

GNM109
11-19-2012, 10:45 AM

You made me smile with your apt description. I was trying to hold back, but you are spot on. I wanted to say what you have so clearly stated. I ony mentioned Windows Live Mail it to explain how I got Chrome and Gmail.

By far the worst thing about WLM is that photos and associated titles and text are stored on what is called "Skydrive" That means that they are stored online. By itself, that would probably be OK, exceot for their terms of usage (EULA).

In that "agreement" which is required, they reserve the right of censorship. That would include deleting any of your photos that they might find offensive and perhaps blocking your account.

Furthermore, one may not show photos of guns for any purpose, especially to further their sale.

As you say, also, there are other problems, not the least of which is the ribbon display, which is very poor.

ironmonger
11-19-2012, 11:09 AM
Ribbons are for presents... Not software.
I have used Thunderbird and Firefox since they came out. Had problems with Outlook dropping it's index with lots of emails stored. Have some stuff going back to 2005 with Thunderbird without problems.
If you want to try it, install it, set the account preference to 'leave mail on server' and you can try it in parallel with any other email client. If you don't like it remove it and you still have all your emails.
I don't want anything to do with cloud services... Google has enough stuff about us as it is.
T'bird will import settings from your existing email system for easy setup as well.

paul