PDA

View Full Version : The wedding ring and the drill from the pawn shop.

ibewgypsie
03-06-2004, 03:36 PM
What does that make me, a HEEL?

I saw this perfectly good milwaukee holeshooter drill for $25 while we were purchasing the ring. I got them jewwed down to $20.. Since I have purchased several at $180 I was quite tickled. I even plugged it up and held the trigger while sniffing the windings *for a bad smell.

Yes we got a deal on the ring too.

Check the pawn shops for bargains.

ReckoN I got a bargain with the woman too? Most would have been pee'ed off. I did spend more on the ring then the drill thou.

(more machine shops out of business in Chattanooga, empty buildings.)

David

Evan
03-06-2004, 03:45 PM
I bought my wife's first ring at a pawn shop. Married 33 years today. I better not forget to pick up something on the way home or I'm toast.

John Stevenson
03-06-2004, 04:46 PM
When we got engaged we bought a ring, plain band with some pattern in it, looked like bad knurning.
That weekend we had to do the rounds of the inlaw's/outlaw's to display the ring.....boring.

Anyway for a laugh I swopped the ring in the box for a slice off a Triumph Tiger 110 small end bush.

No one frigging noticed until we got to the last aunt on the list who remarked to Ower Gert that she'd just chosen a plain band.
Gert said no it's got a pattern on it and the penny dropped.

That was an amusing night.

John S.

pgmrdan
03-06-2004, 06:23 PM

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 03-08-2004).]

x39
03-06-2004, 06:38 PM
ibewgypsie- nice going! I'd say you got a keeper in the little lady, sounds like she's got a good attitude. A while back a commercial fisherman come into my shop and had me make two wedding bands out of a piece of Aquamet propeller shaft. Cripes, this reminds me, my twentieth is coming right up and I've got to get something for my wife. Hmmm... ibewgypsie, how much you gotta have for that drill? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

Shed Machinist
03-06-2004, 08:08 PM
Congrats on you wives.

docsteve66
03-06-2004, 10:54 PM
I proposed to present wife on Victoria peak, in Hong Kong (1966). Warned her that she was getting no bargain, so she could have what ever she wanted in way of engagement ring (she designed her own, with a large diamond), but like John S, only a plain gold band. As I pointed out, we would probably never be in such bad shape that the band would be hocked- but she could just plan on me messing up and we would hock the diamond. She still kept me and the ring never went to pawn.

Nicest little blue eyed school teacher from Hot springs South Dakota anyone ever met.

Hope your works as well as mine Dave. and congratulations (I married, first time at age 35. Was afraid it would not take with me but it did. May you have as much joy as I have-or more even http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif )
Steve

Thrud
03-06-2004, 11:07 PM
David
You could have at least told her that the drill was fer both of ya big goof - women like romantic stuff like that. I know, because I am still single.

John, you taking notes here laddie? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Hey Steve - what the hell you up to buddy?

docsteve66
03-06-2004, 11:40 PM
Thrud: I got weeks behind reading. Started right where I left off and trying to catch up. Pert' nigh but not plumb caught up.

You guys realize how much reading is needed? Then the back posts started, they were mostly several pages back then, I guess I missed what ever angered Neil, I feels like a new poster.
BTW, the falling behind was just busy on other things- Health is fine. NIce to see we gained more posters in the last month. Life is still fine in Doctors Inlet Florida. Come on down before the mosquito's get bad.

Steve

Stepside
03-07-2004, 09:53 PM
I took the intended to the overlook at Snoqualmie Falls (it is about a 300 foot drop) and said "marry me or jump". Thats been 34 years ago and we are still together. Never bought her a ring, but she has her own drill motor, planer, mitre saw and even a Browne and Sharpe combination square. And better yet she understands that if it isn't in a red box (Starrett or better) don't buy it. Just funnin about the falls---the rest is true.

Thrud
03-08-2004, 02:01 AM
Steve
Glad to hear it buddy. I don't know if I can get anywhere. My eyes are doing some wierd things to me and I fear that they may yank my drivers license. I thought the would have done that years ago just because of the way I drove, not because of how I see - go figure... http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//rolleyes.gif

docsteve66
03-08-2004, 12:17 PM
Yep THrud, If "they don't get us one way they will get us another. Reminds me of Al Capone, should have got him for murder, something that counted. Instead "they" brag they finally "got" him. Tax Evasion- a embarrassing thing to get a man for. A wimps crime.

So, Cut your exhaust pipes and run 'em out side so the flames and smoke can be seen, crank her up and run the main streets of a small town til the cops come for and make them chase you down, run 6 semi trucks off the road (snowy road would be better), then let "them" take your license. Better than failing to pass a sight test- story you can tell with pride the rest of your life. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

How you go is important too.
Steve

Jerry B
03-08-2004, 03:53 PM
Thrud,
Sorry to hear of your predicament, but I do have good news. I just saved a bunch of money.....no wait, wrong news.

Oh yeah, I'member..

In all new buildings signs are required to be readable in Braile. The new school building is covered in signs by every door with printed and Braile text all over it.

I was in a newly refurbished hospital and sure enough, they too have Braile on every sign. but what disturbed me most was seeing the Braile on the sign labled "OPERATING ROOM".

"UH DOC... I saw you "reading" the sign by the door on our way in. Should I be concerned?"

In this "handicapped accessable world" it is only a matter of time before traffic signs are going to be readible in Braile.

Better get to be a speed reader. The stop signs go by FAST at 65 mph.

JCHannum
03-08-2004, 03:59 PM
The drive up ATM has instructions in Braille.
I often wonder just how blind people are supposed to find those signs in the first place, and if they do manage to find the Lady's room sign, and are standing there with their legs crossed, jumping up & down, how are they supposed to know which way to go to get to the Men's room?
Life is full of mysteries.

John Stevenson
03-08-2004, 04:44 PM
My mates blind and someone gave him a cheese grater and told him it was the latest Stephen King book.

John S.

WOODY43
03-08-2004, 08:37 PM
I got them jewwed down to $20.. Jewwed down?
Wow, I've been lurking around reading some good info, and some bantering, but I was supprised to see that term used here. What's next? Ni**er rigging? I have both Jewish and black freinds. I'm a little ashamed at the use of such a term.

Woody

Frank Ford
03-08-2004, 09:59 PM
Right you are, Woody! We can do better than this.

docsteve66
03-08-2004, 10:52 PM
YEAH!!!!! and we been poking fun at the blind too. And Women. Bull!

JEEZE (now I offended another PC person) the term was used as a verb.

I number blacks and jews among those I visit, dine, discuss, and enjoy in general. The jewish use "jew down" and keep going. THe blacks use "Nigger" not "Ni**er" when speaking disdainfully for certain persons- those person may have dark or light skin- and maybe even blue eyes. You PC types need to get out and mix with the real minorities. Of course, my friends are mostly older and ALL (who use those terms) are in the professional, well paid,well educated group.
Rant off- no offense intended to any one not would I willing embarrass any one by accident . Can you PC types say the same? (My key word is "accident")
Steve

Ps: Next we will have to avoid PC?

Edit comment: I would guess the usage was not intended to be offensive. I am sure I noticed the usage and cringed a little, but I expected no comment since we are mostly a group of gentlemen who avoid calling attention to others Faux pas. Those last comments offended me much more than the first.

[This message has been edited by docsteve66 (edited 03-08-2004).]

x39
03-09-2004, 12:22 AM
Nicely said docsteve66. I'm of Norwegian descent and my friends call me a "square head" all the time. I think it's pretty amusing.

Evan
03-09-2004, 02:24 AM
Being half Danish there is also "herring choker".

docsteve66
03-09-2004, 12:01 PM
Well, it next morning and I guess I let my mouth run away again. Thanks for showing restraint- but I am reminded of friend who went to church after eating Texas Chile.

Let loose a silent fart, all smelled it and said nothing- it was a rare occurrence in that church. But two pre teen boys wrinkled their noses, loudly said one- smells like some one farted in here- other kids grins and says "Smells like old sam SHEEEET in here".
Sam, of course could say nothing just hoped the sermon would go on or that he would sink into the ground.

Mama grabbed the boys by the ears, hauled them to the wood shed and washed their mouths with soap. Little boys like to show they understand the bad words that are used by men and can top the men.

Least any one fail to understand us: We are not talking rings and money or pawnshops this time. WE are Bragging about our wives, and We understand IBEW (nor most of us) can not say "boys, I have found someone I wish to spend the rest of my days with, grow old with, some one i hope I will one day longer than she so she never knows the sorrow of parting".

WOODY43
03-09-2004, 01:51 PM
Well, I asked my freind if he would be offended if he had read this. He said that he's heard it before, and that he doesn't like the term, butt.. "people are people"
I still think we can ALL be better than the terms we sometimes use, or were brought up on, thats all. I'm sure I have used a term that's been offensive to others too. I'll try to do better my self.

ibewgypsie
03-09-2004, 08:47 PM
No offence meant. You should hear some of the other words I use. None meant then either.

You can not be afraid of what you say, only explain the misunderstandings. This is one.

People say things that can be misconstrued all the time. The english language has so many descriptives that can mean alternative meanings. My old german boss used to curse in English cause it has so much more colorful words then german.

I am a mutt. I am part cherokee indian, part german and part Irish. I don't knock other people, thou I used to hate everyone not like me, there are not many like me. I ain't got the time or the energy to hate anyone.

Websters definition: of Jewed
1. To bargain shrewdly or unfairly with. Often used with down.
2. To haggle so as to reduce (a price). Often used with down.

Here's one that made a commentator retire:
'************* quote from websters **********
niggardly

\Nig"gard*ly\, a. Meanly covetous or avarcious in dealing with others; stingy; niggard.

Where the owner of the house will be bountiful, it is not for the steward to be niggardly. --Bp. Hall.

'********************************** end quote
Ohh my, it just sounds bad... Thou you can not be too careful of what you say, anything you say can be misunderstood.

David.

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 03-09-2004).]

wierdscience
03-09-2004, 11:07 PM
I worked with a black man who was offended by the term"African American"he told his pastor"you can call me ni==er,colored,blue gum or mother f----,but not African American" then he proceeded to explain to him that to put his country of ancestory before his home was disrespectful of the nation that gave him so much.I learned a lot from him about right and wrong,he knew more than most whites I knew growing up.

PC people are the most offensive to me,they like to catagorize everyone so they can feel superior,sounds kinda like nazi's to me.Our strength comes from our unity,beware of those who divide.

J Tiers
03-10-2004, 12:43 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by x39:
Nicely said docsteve66. I'm of Norwegian descent and my friends call me a "square head" all the time. I think it's pretty amusing.</font>

I'm 1/4 Swede, and my mother (Irish) always reminded me of a little saying "ten thousand Swedes ran through the weeds pursued by one Norwegian".

I finally learned more and mentioned that I'm probably more than 1/4 Swede due to what the Vikings did when they got to Ireland......

I don't mind the Swede jokes either, but Garrison Keiler's Minnesots stuff, well it don't sound like the old country as I remember it.

John Stevenson
03-10-2004, 10:07 AM
I'm not PC at all, don't have any time for these idiots.
There's a town near here called Mansfield. If you ask for Personfield no one knows what you are talking about.
Same with Manchester, any mail sent to Personchester don't get there.
You do need to be tolerant though and then all people can get on.
Here's a good example. At the last place I worked the foreman brought this new coloured guy into the mess room to meet his co-workers.
One at a time he introduce them. This guy here's Michael from Ireland, we call hin Mick, this guy here is MacTavish from Scotland we call him Mack.
This guy is Patrick, also from Irland known as Paddy and the last guy is from Liverpool and we call him Wack.
Any questions?
The new guy then asked if it was possible to have an advance on his weekly money.
Forman turned to the guys he had to work with and said.
"Mick, Mack, Paddy, Wack give the wog a loan"

John S.

WOODY43
03-10-2004, 01:35 PM
Well, I'm not sure having good manners counts as "PC" these days, but I guess you can learn many new things here. Along with machining tips. I'm sure I'll catch grief for this!

Woody

docsteve66
03-10-2004, 11:44 PM
Woody: way I see it, man can be PC or have good manners. Could do both but few do. Personally, I agree with many things that are PC. But to force my opinion on another person is repugnant.

We have laws and we have manners. Laws supposedly insure an orderly , protected society. But every law reduces freedom for some one. A balance between laws and freedom is hard to find. Neither a lawless nor overly regulated society is worth living in.

The comes the PC bunch like a vigilante committee, enforcing their ideas of good manner in the MOST MANNERLESS way. The PC bunch seems to assume that if they THINK a third party would be offended, they have a right to so inform the first party and thus "label" the third party as a bloc. Stay with us a while, there are several opinions that conform to the PC tactics- though the basic ideas differ considerably. Get to know us before you impose your philosophy.

I don't think you will have moments grief here- for one thing you picked on a real gentleman. He claims to lack polish but he exhibits grace. I try to emulate him and few others.
Peace bud,
Steve
PS: I tend to forget that it is the things I KNOW that ain't so that brings me grief in unexpected ways.

Thrud
03-11-2004, 03:23 AM
Speaking of braile, did you hosers know that the lovely Canadian folding money that Ameriacan are so quick to insult because it is not an ugly green hue like SOME peoples green backs (we won't mention names here) - it just so happens that Canadian bills are encoded with braile for the blind - so there! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

The only damn thing they had the decency to do for Canadians that did not cost us extra - and we did not even have to bitch and whine to get it done - amazing!

ibewgypsie
03-11-2004, 06:30 AM
Howdy..

I think we all live by our conciences. When society lives by thier own Lawless and selfish Rules is when real injustice happens. People without morals are a real problem in our world.

Good pay does not make a good employee for sure. I am working on a goverment job, it is getting close to the end. Tools are dissapearing right and left, it is not enough to be paid a benifit package that is worth over $28 a hour. People see it fit to steal everything they can. I feel repulsed by it.
Everything in my shop, home I worked for.

Nobody has been attacked or spoke against including you. I used a word that you feel offensive. No problem, a misunderstanding. You spoke up for what you believe in denoting good moral outlook and a strong stature in beliefs. If I offend you or anyone else, feel free to email me.

Stop by here in North Georgia if you ever pass through and we'll share a beer and perhaps some barbeque.. I can show you a old brigeport I am really proud of.

Doc, it is nice to be among friends, NOW I have to go to work thou.

David.

WOODY43
03-11-2004, 09:26 AM
Doc, I can see that there is no "winning" here if you will. I was not "attacking". I don't think Ibew took it that way. I'm not being "PC" or imposing my beliefs. But you are the Elder Statesman here, so I guess you win.

Ironland Spline
03-11-2004, 10:22 AM
Hey,

There was a guest speaker in our "Philosophy and Logic" class when I was in college. Before his started his lecture, he gave us a little background on himself, including that he was of staunch Jewish descent.

He said "there's something to the stigma that looms ominously over our (the Jewish) heads. It probably goes back hundreds of years to the case in the Old Testament where Joseph's brothers- rather than killing him as they had originally planned- decided to make a few bucks selling him instead. But I can say for sure that it has something to do with our upbringing. My mother told me from from my earliest memories 'Bernie, don't pay full price for anything! That's why God made the Gentiles'"

Maybe there's a little Jew in me too, eh? Is that PC to say Jew? Should I have said Jewishness? Israelite? Maybe Sons of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob?

BTW: Who decides what's PC anyway?

Howard

Thrud
03-11-2004, 01:35 PM
I just call a spade a shovel myself, and I am cheap bastard. Got nothing to do with being Jewish of having your bris whacked off and made into skin for burn victims.

I am a Human, Being - even then I have many times in my life wanted nothing to do with the rest of you bastards (no offense) and would have cared less if the whole frigging planet was fried to a cinder with H-bombs. I may have been a little bitter. But now that I have been dead six times and know how things really work - I forgive you all for pissing me off back then. I am better now. You are welcome. Please, no need to thank me. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

lynnl
03-11-2004, 03:30 PM
Who decides what's PC? ...Maude. Maude does. Remember Maude?

Jerry B
03-11-2004, 03:38 PM
PC????
Does that stand for

1. Personal Computer?
2. Politically Correct?
3. Public Commode?

You decide.

lynnl
03-11-2004, 04:40 PM
Maybe "Piled Correctly".

Evan
03-11-2004, 04:47 PM
Pusillanimous Catagelophobe

docsteve66
03-12-2004, 01:21 AM
Evan, sometimes I think you were vaccinated with with dictionary virus. Seldom do I get sent to a dictionary totally unable to figure out a words meaning. My 20 pound dictionary failed to list even the root, so to save others time:

"Catagelophobia is an intense fear of something that poses little or no actual danger. While adults with catagelophobia realize that these fears are irrational, they often find that facing, or even thinking about facing, the feared situation brings on a panic attack or severe anxiety." a cut and past from GOOGLE (google had no returns for "Catagelophobe").

Woody: I am no "Statesman" and if you feel beaten or unhappy I sure am no winner. Instead, I lose.

In defense of my sensitivity, I was raised a migrant worker (during the big depression). We migrant kids descended on poor towns for a few weeks. School teachers were not being paid except in "warrants" in some towns. We were not welcome. California was bad to us okies (I was not from oklahoma), Arizona sent me to school with colored (now Afro-Americans), but New mexico and colorado were worst.
In Roswell, New Mexico, we rode bus with the ranchers kids to city high school, then back to country school with Spanish (call them Mexican and you had a fight, they had no idea they were hispanic). No books (and we would be there less than a month anyway). Teacher put us at the rear of class. My only complaint (even today) is that teacher there would not call us by name. In Alamosa, Colorado, much the same took place excepting the class (mostly Spanish) spoke spanish, but the books were in English. Hard to learn under those conditions- but what the H only gonna be there a few weeks. No one wanted to hurt us, money was tight every where. We were an unfunded expense to the school system. We were expected to come but no one funded for us. We were an unintentional burden to the system.

Any way, I probably attend about 50 schools (over thirty for sure) in 12 years. Finished high school, did military time, got a little college and worked in Mississippi. I have minor scars and left some big ones over equal rights for Negroes (the colored were Negro by then or at least there. Old Chinaman (chinese now) taught me how they (chinese) integrated the hospital in Greenville, his race had gone to school with Afro-Americans until about 1950. In 1953, his son was a nominee for high school all american, his daughter was president of senior class- and they needed no fighting or force to go to white schools- they were just invited (not all chinese were invited though). Charlie educated me and then I met Mr Stein.

In Greenville, there was a clothing store run by Jay Stein- clothes in the front war surplus in the rear. He was old then (I think the Stein Mart chain started with his son (also Jay) who I never met. Mr Stein told me stories and advised/guided me. He and Charlie Chu were fatherly toward me. He was the man who pointed out to me that "Jew Down" was not racial. We discussed history and customs frankly- he warned/knew sooner or later I would wind up in prison or worse unless I cooled down. I finally realized that my campaign was me feeling physically superior to the rednecks (no offense meant) and Hicks (BTW my grandfather was a Hicks- how does a Hicks feel about the term "YOU HICKS"?) and morally superior to the middle class- had nothing to do with "improving" the lot of others (Chinese or Black or my self). So I kind of settled down and discussed issues logically (as best I could). That ALL I was doing with you and you have acted the part of a gentleman (my opinion).

I would point out- had you been close enough to your Jewish friend to discuss these things you would have known what his answer would have been. Mr Stein (and Roy Little (my "Nigger rigger"(his words, not mine), Who was first black foreman ever promoted at Naval Aviation Depot Jacksonville Fla) both used identical phrasing (and the phrase is similar to the one your friend used) "people are just people"- that "Just" changes your "people are people" quote a lot.

Hows about you have the last word and we drop the subject for a while?. I feel I have showed my ass and offended several by my posts.

BTW- there are probably more who feel you were correct in objecting to the JEW DOWN than have spoken up. I am surprised to not have been verbally assaulted. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Steve

Evan
03-12-2004, 03:20 AM
Pusillanimous Catagelophobe :

Steve,

Meaning, a cowardly person who is afraid of being ridiculed. I think this in part describes the many PC types out and about. I don't give squat what anyone calls me, I know who I am. As you may have noticed I will not be drawn into an argument using personal invective.

BTW, if you look at my profile, you will see that language is one of my interests.

docsteve66
03-12-2004, 02:05 PM
Please. every one skip this one except Evan- I am just rambling on again.

Evan: Good post, Good phrase.
I got your meaning after I found "catagephobia" meaning http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif. I just figured the "Pusillanimous" was such a common word- been in common usage since since old bill snakespear did his thing that it needed no comment.

I'd use the phrase myself but my vocabulary is "passive" in the sense that I lack confidence pronouncing two syllable words.

My education is mostly self made- and you can tell a self made man by the poor construction and many gaping holes.

I think you definition of PC is wrong- the victim accepts the abuse of the PC types (what ever that means) because they fear ridicule. THe PC types fear rational ideas and physical violence.

You and I smoke pipes, lately I have had comments made to me about the dangers to myself and to others. I respond slightly more aggressively than the PC commenter. They usually back off quickly and leave me alone (but,teen age girls get dirty quickly. THey are confident creatures). Used to be an occasional woman would chase me down and tell me how good the pipe smelled. Been a while since that occurred- has the pipe gone sour? what has happened? Can they really fear my smoke? or do they (my choice) want to show their power. (whisper- your turn to expound http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif )

I really have no definition/idea what PC is. I see examples and think I have it. Seems to me as though the concept is very fuzzy- no real rules nor objectives. Truly, I am reminded of Don Quixote and Sancho (as a team). Don finds evil every where and goes into battle, smiting pig and wind mills with gusto. One of the funniest lines in all my reading is where Don attacks the windmills and Sancho tells him, " Bossman, this is going to be worse than those pigs.".

Seems to me that so many disagreements boil down to PC saying, " Joe, you can't say that about them" and "them" says "lets get on with business- I heard it all before". And Joe and PC argue about who has more "them" as friends. ANd Joe (with PC ) is tilting at windmills. The sane man warns them (Joe and PC) that this all going to get worse and is only in their minds. Words ain't gonna pay for babies shoes.

I was, to my shame, doing the PC, trying to change "bigots" (which a another fuzzy term) thing long before Bobby Kennedy became a celebrity. Then I got smarter (or at least more effective). Now I try to remember I came to drain a swamp, don't bother fighting alligators, Just climb me tree, smoke my pipe and watch the action. When the fussing stops, I climb back down and help other drain their section of the swamp- I got all I want years ago.

Jerry B
03-12-2004, 02:33 PM
How in the world did we get from pawn shops to this?????

I must have missed a turn in the road a few miles back.

Evan
03-12-2004, 03:25 PM
He hee, reminds me of the old game "Telephone". You whisper a phrase into a persons ear at a party. They whisper it to another. After the last person hears it they speak it. It usually bears no resemblance to the original. Often hilarious.

docsteve66
03-12-2004, 11:51 PM
Naw, IBEW,innocent child that he is got a good deal on drill. Next time , by all thats precious, he gonna pay full price or I head for North Georgia. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif
Nuff said\
Steve

PS All the rest seemed like a good idea at the time. Just step by step wandering in a swamp full of alligators.
Reminds me of time I was digging post holes with an auger (no reverse). Got stuck, could not back the auger out, too damn much effort to restart the engine so I tried to get it out with engine idling. When I gave up, some how the engine was buried deep, auger out of sight and I was shoveling trying to get to pin so I could unhook engine from the auger. Worse than the tar baby.
Every neighbor looked, waved and asked later. But at the time every step seemed prudent, even needed.

ibewgypsie
03-13-2004, 08:35 AM
Doc..

You ever see a child with a $120 a week grocery bill... HA... I just finished a pan of homemade buttermilk biscuits.

I run into bargains, usually when I am broke.
Normal stuff. The local harley that went on ebay for 1400.. I tried to purchase it after the auction from the buyer. It was spelled incorrectly in the ad. It was listed Harly.

Retain your sales reciept from a pawn shop. I while working for DIS (equipment fabricators) In North Carolina I did purchase quite a few drills in a pawn shop there in North Carolina. While offloading the Milwaukee drills into my personal vehicle the Pipefitter foreman did stop me and accuse me of stealing the drills. Him and I went to the owner, The Forman did accuse me again and I was considering breaking his nose.
When I produced the pawn ticket we did figure out that the fitters had drank all thier money up and were pawning company tools (30 days before) to buy groceries.
They did reluctantly pay me my investment or I would have kept all the drills. I did not make any money for my investment and I was unhappy about that. I ate bologna in my hotel room to pay for the drills with my Peduim expense money.

I can see thier side of the story too. Nobody was fired because the of the theft of tools. Nobody apologized to me either and do still hold a grudge till this day. Not all the drills had THE "company mark" on them. (paint) The Fitters view? I am the SOB that got them in trouble.

I got tools I bought when I was 18. I have pawned guns after losing card games, never my tools.

David

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 03-13-2004).]

Thrud
03-13-2004, 10:38 PM
David
you tell 'em brother! Amen to that!

docsteve66
03-15-2004, 09:20 PM
Dave: don't be fooled- I won't pay retail unless they are only game around. I'd say bargain like a ... .... But I don't want to start over .

Pawn shop or food?
When I was doing water tanks (high steel work) we had insurance rules. No work when raining, windy, thunderstorms etc.

My crew was caught in New York state, winter of 1955/56. Weather stopped work for over a week. Little pay due to weather for previous weeks. Cheap rooming house, sandwiches in rooms.

As foreman I got 75.00 dollars a week plus my commission money. Company held a few thousand in a kitty to make sure foreman paid for bad work- but my kitty was pretty big. So i kept men working on polishing the truck, cleaning stuff. Managed to keep my crew fed though we did no high work.

Near by foreman had same problem, but he played cards, bet advance wages to pay for his losings. Finally, They (foreman and crew)cranked up tractor and headed for Memphis Tenn. En route, they Hocked welding rods, hocked paint, tools, filled the tanks in Memphis with diesel fuel, "rented" (but did not prepay) a motel room for a week, left engine idling, and pawnshop tickets in cab. Few days later motel called about the tractor running day in day/day out. Old man (owner) mailed me the pawn shop tickets plus money to retrieve our stuff. Job finished, I headed south following the Foreman's route, picked up hocked stuff. When I crossed state line I was way over weight on one axle, little over gross weight. Still paying for seven men's meal out of my pocket. Hit Memphis broke, angry, tired and several thousand pounds of material short, no hock slips, over weight fine, expecting to be fired.

OLd man sent us home (at our own expense) for a week off (christmas), Then south in to TExas, a state i dearly love, to work where the sun shined- Old man also added a little money for each man. That was a rough winter. Not a man quit on me. That was my only encounter with pawn shops. I bet the foreman (who really did not care what he got) got about 10 percent of the true worth of the stuff he hocked, and I paid a high price to retrieve. Course, in defense of the pawn shop, not much market for cans of FISH OIL based aluminum paint or bags of block and tackle and used Bosun chairs.

I don't see how a man who has hocked tools ever gets back on his feet.

Excitable Boy
03-15-2004, 09:59 PM
I never understood the mentality that lead to pawning your tools. Once they're gone, how do you work enough to get them back??? I've held this belief since I worked in the trades back in my early 20s.

As I've been recently been spending every spare nickel (of disposable cash, not grocery or rent money) on tooling up my shop, I remembered these mis-guided souls who would hawk their tools and have visited several pawn shops looking for dial indicators and such. What I find is that guys who manage their lives poorly enough to have to pawn their tools, don't take very good care of their tools either. I'm sure there are some gems out there in pawn shops, but I haven't found them.

John

------------------
Pursue Excellence and the rest will follow.

Evan
03-16-2004, 01:12 AM
I've never hocked anything but I do buy from pawn shops. After I came to Canada I bought a tool chest full of aircraft sheet metal tools for $50 from a pawn shop. There was at least $300 or $400 worth of tools in it, air hammer and drill, avaiation snips, bucking bars, clecos and various other stuff. I also bought a sporterized 303 rifle from a pawn for $30, took it home slung on my shoulder on a city bus. Just try that today!

Maker
03-16-2004, 05:28 AM
Ya know,

I found this site while searching for machining info, and I've been learning alot about it (machining) since. The collective wisdom is astounding, and I'm trying to soak it all up! But, much to my surprise, I find that I am also learning to be a better person. Many of the shared insights, stories ,personal observations and even disagreements show me more about being (a good) human than I have imagined.

There are some short stories written by Spider Robinson about a bar called Callahan's. It's a place where people gather to share, and laugh and be human. Since reading these stories, I have hoped to find a place like that. Finally, I think I have.

I like this place. I like it alot!

Alex

docsteve66
03-16-2004, 05:31 PM
Maker: you read "analog"?. If not, there are several of the spiders stories there.

On Sand Pebbles- The movie was good, but I enjoyed the book more. The movie just took a different point of view than the book.

Mc Kenna wrote good books. Sand Pebbles not only talks a lot about engineering on the china river boats, its a good insight into how we and china strayed into the pre WWll mess, and a good commentary on 1920's military life. Any thing by Mc Kenna will have some good mechanical insight.

jim davies
03-16-2004, 09:27 PM
The Sand Pebbles had as much technical stuff in it as almost any film made. I guess we can thank Steve McQ for that.