PDA

View Full Version : Flood coolant manifolds for the HSM

Boucher
11-20-2012, 08:20 PM
At times I would like to have a boring bar set up with through the bar flood coolant.
I would also like to switch to a set up like this (Posted on PM by Rod Henrickson)
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/boucherbyron/Loc-Linebase.jpg
Well the photo got cropped a little to much but this holder is on a flexable line.

My current configuration is here:
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/boucherbyron/IMG_0253Small.jpg

So show me your way of doing something like this.

Paul Alciatore
11-20-2012, 10:48 PM
Not sure what your problem is. Get a magnet with a stud or threaded hole. Get a brass L fitting and drill a hole in it: thread that hole with threads matching the stud or hole in the magnet. Connect the two with a generous application of epoxy. Connect coolant supply line to horizontal end of the L. Connect the flexible hose to the vertical end of the L (with a control valve if desired). Done.

Or some of the above can be purchased as ready to use parts.

Jaakko Fagerlund
11-20-2012, 11:48 PM
In our shop we use female/male quick disconnect couplings meant for pressurised air in the coolant lines, makes changing things easy. On a lathe the pump line ends with a female coupling, so it won't spray over everything if it is disconnected. All the boring bars and such are equipped with a 1/4" quick disconnect male coupling and we have a magnetic base also with one.

Boucher
11-21-2012, 08:16 AM
When running coolant thru a boring bar do you plug the left end of the headstock tube?
I think that I like the quick connects better than a manifold.

Rustybolt
11-21-2012, 08:21 AM
We take a piece of one inch square tube 1/8 wall and weld closed both ends. The drill and tap for as many pipe fittings as you need. Weld on angle iron feet. This works for air too.

Rustybolt
11-21-2012, 08:24 AM
You can do the same thing with an appropriate size of aluminum square bar stock. Drill a hole lengthways tap it for your feed line and cross drill and tap for your coolant lines.
I always tap and plug a couple of extra holes in case the customer wants to expand.

Jaakko Fagerlund
11-21-2012, 01:50 PM
When running coolant thru a boring bar do you plug the left end of the headstock tube?
I think that I like the quick connects better than a manifold.
Nope, the centrifugal forces don't let the coolant in the tube because of the headstocks inside taper, unless the spindle RPM is really low and/or the coolant flow very excessive. Sometimes I've had to put a rag inside the bore to prevent coolant runoff.

Rustybolt
11-21-2012, 05:21 PM
Hmmm. I misread the first part.