PDA

View Full Version : Homemade adjustable mechanical belt buckle

DaFabricata
11-23-2012, 07:46 PM
I've pretty much been using the same belts I've had since high school (which was a long time ago) They've done their jobs fairly well and I took time to condition them with leather conditioner and stitch any broken threads, but it's been time for something new. I'd prefer a 1.5" mat black leather gun belt and hope to find one before the end of the year.
Anyway, looking around at what's available, I noticed they all had the same basic buckle...not a huge deal but as it is when it comes time to replace gear I try to think of what improvements can be made at the same time. Which led to to doing searches for adjustable and mechanical belt buckles.
The one thing that bothered me about my belts was the inability to adjust them easily. Two hands are almost always required to tighten or loosen it.
Sometimes I have a firearm in my waistline and need a little more room when sitting or after a meal. Being able to make a fast, simple adjustment using only one hand and/or not drawing a lot of attention to me messing with my waistline were some of my preferences.
I discovered an amazing buckle that would do just that but was priced WAY out of my budget.
While titanium and gold would be sweet, I simply don't have the $16,000-$30,000 that they sell for....so aluminum and brass would have to suffice....along with the fact it doesn't look nearly as beautiful as the design Roland Iten came up with.
I spent quite a while in front of the computer studying how his design worked and transfered what I could learn to paper.
Next I went out to my shop and got to gittin. The result is a homemade adjustable/mechanical belt buckle made up of 63 (so far) individual peices.
Basically you just flip the buckle and it either loosens or tightens the belt one belt hole length. The arms connecting the flip lever (buckle) to the main buckle body have ball bearing sanwiched between them. I made the bearing carrier from brass and got the ball bearing from the local mom & pop Hardware store (Rolisons Hardware). The pivot point between the arms and the flip lever have holes milled and spring loaded ball detents that make a nice audable "Click,click,click,click..." when then lever is fliped.
The brass rollers help the belt glide effortlessly accross the body when adjusting. The slot between the rollers is for a brass guide that protrudes through the belt hole. There are two belt hole guides connected to the flip lever that swivels in place, holding the belt in place.

I still have a LOT of work to do to finish it. I left everything as square as possible until I had a working prototype. Now that I've been wearing it for about a week, I feel confident is moving forward to the final stages of shaping and smoothing, before I send the aluminum out for either ceracote or anodizing. The milling marks wouldn't have been as bad, but nobody have the belt I needed to get my mill running at the proper speed....speeds and feeds damnit..

I'm still new to machining and only have smaller home/hobby grade machines but I do enjoy turning an idea into reality.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u184/dafab/photobucket-15930-1352752689716.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u184/dafab/photobucket-4527-1352982747072.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u184/dafab/photobucket-2224-1352982798212.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u184/dafab/photobucket-18049-1353702874377.jpg

Mike Amick
11-23-2012, 07:50 PM
You really should have "SHOT" us a picture.

DaFabricata
11-23-2012, 07:55 PM
I'm sorry but I don't understand.
Can you elaborate please?

v860rich
11-23-2012, 09:28 PM
I'm sorry but I don't understand.
Can you elaborate please?

Probably something about a firearm!!!!

Looks like the ratchet assy. on the tie down straps I use to tie my race car into my trailer.

Nice work.

THANX RICH

danlb
11-23-2012, 09:33 PM
I think a video of it in action would be neat.

Dan

A.K. Boomer
11-23-2012, 10:20 PM
Well - I think it's safe to say you can forget about ever getting a BJ from a blond...

DaFabricata
11-23-2012, 10:46 PM
Probably something about a firearm!!!!

Looks like the ratchet assy. on the tie down straps I use to tie my race car into my trailer.

Nice work.

THANX RICH

Thanks Rich!

I think a video of it in action would be neat.

Dan

Dan, I'll see what I can do, but I've never tried before...we'll see
Do a search on youtube for "Roland Iten Belt Buckle" ..theres a video posted there showing what I had hoped to accomplish.
Only mines nowhere near as cool looking.
The 2 pics below should give you an idea of how it works.

Well - I think it's safe to say you can forget about ever getting a BJ from a blond...

Lol!! 2 girls have already made a comment about the difficulty of access!...neither were blonde..:rolleyes:

The way this works is by lifting the center buckle (flip lever) and sliding the belt into position, inserting the 2 brass guide pins into the belt holes and lowering the 1st pin into the slot between the 2 rows of brass belt rollers. You can leave it in that position (Loose) OR the center buckle (flip lever) can be lifted and flipped. While this action takes place the arms connecting the buckle to the body lift, allowing the buckle to flip. As it flips, the center section that hold the belt guide pins is forces the belt in the direction of movement and presses the belt against the brass rollers, giving the entire movement a nice fluid motion while having the audible and tactic feedback from the ball detents. The ball bearings sandwiched between the arms and body further improve the feel as opposed to bare aluminum or even a solid brass bearing surface. Hope that all makes sense!

Loose Position:
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u184/dafab/photobucket-27523-1353730587001.jpg

Middle Flip Position:
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u184/dafab/photobucket-33921-1353731059573.jpg

Tight Position:
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u184/dafab/photobucket-21226-1353730571173.jpg

uute
11-24-2012, 12:56 AM
That's Crazy Kool, DaFab!

legendboy
11-24-2012, 01:04 AM

haha

A.K. Boomer
11-24-2012, 09:52 AM
It's not as bulky as the first pics made it look - you deserve allot of credit for not only the amount of work that went into it but the quality too,
Perhaps a flapper wheel to round off all the outer corners - as a mechanic that's the first thing that comes to mind is leaning over someone's fender and then saying "oh crap"....

Dafab - the more I think about it the more I think your a genius --- Quite the pickup gadget - im thinking by a few ladies some drinks in a pub and then show them your belt buckle --- better than a puppy for sure...

Im going to "1 up U" im building one with a built in Pez dispenser....

BigMike782
11-24-2012, 08:00 PM
That is a very cool idea and some nice machine work......now if you can come up with one for a fat boy like me,no,wait the already have those....the winch they use on tow trucks.

huntinguy
11-25-2012, 01:26 AM
now, that would be interesting for a fanny pack belt....

Nice work.