PDA

View Full Version : Nice find, not really a gloat

John Stevenson
11-24-2012, 05:26 AM
So on Thursday I was perusing the advert site and spotted an advert with small photo for an engineers toolbox with loads of taps and dies in it.
What interested me was the selection, BSF, BSW, UNF, BSB [ cycle ] , Conduit, Metric, Model engineer and BA plus a few tap and die wrenches.

So rang the guy up and agreed to buy it, jumped in the Donald that night and set off, not far, about 1 3/4 hours away just round the corner from Tim Leech.

Lousy night, bad rain storms, that bad had to pull off and find a pub, pie and a pint, in my case coffee, and back on the road.

Got there are realised I was mistaken in what I thought was an engineers toolbox. This was actually wooden sets of taps and dies just assembled into a simple wooden stand.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/registered_user/tapdie1.jpg

You pulled the set completely out and then opened it.

In the meanwhile from talking to the guy on the phone in the morning he's found two more sets, a full metric set and another BA set.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/registered_user/tapdie2.jpg

The top 'tray' is a box and is full of holders, the ones hung on the side were too big to fit the drawer.

Not a bad nights work.

achtanelion
11-24-2012, 10:17 AM
VERY nice find! Since I always seem to come back to the old British guns a BA set would be extremely handy. I imagine in your line of work having a few sets of everything helps immeasurably.

J

sasquatch
11-24-2012, 10:19 AM
Fantastic gloat!! Very nice find, well worth the trip!!

Tamper84
11-24-2012, 10:41 AM
Wow!!!!!!!

Charles P
11-24-2012, 01:04 PM
Very nice John.
I must keep my eyes open more....

Charles

mikem
11-24-2012, 01:10 PM
You didn't offer to divulge the purchase price--or you waiting for us to beg? How can we offer the usual greeting for a gloat, unless we can see that it IS gloat worthy :)

John Stevenson
11-24-2012, 01:43 PM
60 plus 3 gallons of diesel, plus two pies, half a Guinness and a coffee. As I said, more a good find than an outright gloat.

Eric, Flylo would have got them for $5 :confused:

Richard P Wilson
11-24-2012, 02:36 PM
Nice find. 1950s or 60s by the style of the labelling inside the box I think. Are they carbon steel rather than HSS? No matter, still a good deal.
Whos looking to spend money on a new head for the POS then?

Richard

mikem
11-24-2012, 04:32 PM
I still think that is a heck of deal--and qualifies for a gloat.

I bought a 1.5 inch round tap and die set from a retired mechanic last week for $30. I had a die holder and a lathe die holder for 1.5" but had no dies til now. It goes from .25" to .75" in the coarse threads. It has the most popular sizes of what I will need, since I have some others for the odd sizes.

davidwdyer
11-24-2012, 04:45 PM
It is as good as a gloat. It's a 'drool.' At least it has me wishing for some just like it. And what's all that wet stuff on the front of my shirt?

michigan doug
11-24-2012, 05:47 PM
You officially suck.

Good find!

doug