PDA

View Full Version : OT- Measuring internet usage

rws
11-24-2012, 08:33 AM
I'm thinking of getting a USB wireless modem, and the plans have a limit per month for a set fee (5gb). Not that I don't trust anyone, but is there a way I can track my upload/download usage to be sure I'm getting what I pay for? I can see it could be "their word against mine" thing unless I had a way to track it myself.

j king
11-24-2012, 09:01 AM
we had problem with Hughs net. we were always charged for overage or they would slow you down to below a crawl. We finally got rid of them and got Verizon. We didnt change any of our habits.Did same stuff online. We rarely ever go over the same amount limits with them. Hughes was screwing us. There was a class action suit against them. They settled and we were suppose to receive some measly amount. Screw them. Hughes SUCKS!

I believe there is a way to monitor usage but I am not too sharp on that stuff. I pays to be not too trusting on stuff that you have no control over.

tdkkart
11-24-2012, 09:12 AM
Google "Bandwidth Monitor" and you'll find several programs to keep track. I'd download one and use it on your current system for awhile
so you can see what your typical daily surfing uses. 5GB is not all that much 'net useage.

Dunc
11-24-2012, 09:13 AM
Have a look at DU Meter
http://www.hageltech.com/dumeter/about
Have not used it myself but it has many supporters. You can also try sourceforge.net for open source (free to use) apps. Don't know what's there tho.

The usual financial/ business interest disclaimers.

toolmaker76
11-24-2012, 12:26 PM
If it is wireless, make sure that it is password protected! We have Hughesnet, wireless, and for a spell suddenly exceeded usage by more than anything we could account for- until we put a password on the "guest" part of the router. Haven't exceeded since! One of the neighbors were using it, not sure which, not sure even intentional, but the password took care of it.

Jaakko Fagerlund
11-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Just check first how they define that 5 GB limit, as some people think it means 2 to the whatever power of bytes. If it would be a base-2, it would be 5 GiB, but 5 GB is actually 5 000 000 000 bytes, as per SI prefixes.

Evan
11-24-2012, 03:48 PM
See here: http://www.softperfect.com/

I use their "NetWorx" program and it works very well. It has many options for how it measures usage. It should do the job. It can measure all traffic at the router so it doesn't miss anything.

rws
11-26-2012, 12:38 PM
Evan, that program works just fine, thanks!