PDA

View Full Version : OT: Crane fire and collapse in Sydney

Stuart Br
11-27-2012, 06:53 AM
Scary footage
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/crane-on-fire-on-university-of-technology-sydney-grounds/story-e6frg6n6-1226524733377

I bet the crane driver has never got back to the ground so fast ???

uncle pete
11-27-2012, 07:20 AM
Yeah it's pretty amazing just how fast mobile or even fixed equipment like this can burn. I've seen more than a few pieces of equipment that literally burned to the ground. That news report mentions leaking fuel 3 weeks before this happened. That may or may not have been the cause. But no doubt there was residual fuel around that never got fully cleaned up that wouldn't have helped. All it usually takes is a broken oil supply line to the engines turbo, and if you don't get the engine shut down in the first few seconds, the machine will be a write off. If I was to bet, I think you'll now see rules and regulations coming up quite soon requiring on board fire suppression systems for at least the Sydney area on these cranes. It's odd there wasn't anyway since a large majority of mining equipment at least has it today. I would have thought that would be standard on at least the diesel powered tower cranes. Someone in management is going to be looking for a new job this morning.

Pete