PDA

View Full Version : OT-Coroplast

rws
11-27-2012, 09:49 AM
I need to install a wind break around an animal cage. It's a 12x8 "pavilion" so to speak, roof on top but framing all around. I was thinking coroplast, since it's light weight, comes in sheets, and will let in some light if I get it in white. But it's not easy to find a place to go buy it. I've called a couple sign shops, one wanted almost 19 bucks for a sheet! That's crazy! And to have it shipped would be pricey too I would think.

The other alternative I thought of is reinforced plastic, which is much harder to put up than a sheet.

Any ideas where to buy this stuff?

Rosco-P
11-27-2012, 10:05 AM
I need to install a wind break around an animal cage. It's a 12x8 "pavilion" so to speak, roof on top but framing all around. I was thinking coroplast, since it's light weight, comes in sheets, and will let in some light if I get it in white. But it's not easy to find a place to go buy it. I've called a couple sign shops, one wanted almost 19 bucks for a sheet! That's crazy! And to have it shipped would be pricey too I would think.

The other alternative I thought of is reinforced plastic, which is much harder to put up than a sheet.

Any ideas where to buy this stuff?

$19 for a full 4'x8' sheet? $19 is about the going rate. Last bunch of sheets I bought at a wholesale plastics supplier (any color) was $18 a sheet, prior to that $16 per sheet.

TheAndroid
11-27-2012, 10:49 AM
I just paid $19 a sheet here in Dallas.

Evan
11-27-2012, 10:53 AM
I don't recommend Coroplast for outside usage in direct sun. It has very poor ultraviolet resistance and will turn very brittle in just a few years. Then even a light impact will make it shatter and crumble. Fibre reinforced material is a much better idea.

rws
11-27-2012, 10:58 AM
OK, I had no idea it was that expensive. I understand about the sun exposure. The intent was to only have it up for the 4 winter months then it comes back down until next year. Thought I could get away with it that way.

Evan
11-27-2012, 11:10 AM
If you will only have it up in winter then build a lightweight frame for the sheets so it can be easily handled without damaging it. That will make it easy to stow. In that case Coroplast will last a good while. Anything made from oil is expensive.

DICKEYBIRD
11-27-2012, 01:45 PM
Too bad you can't easily stick the stuff back together. There's acres of coroplast going into landfills after the election. You could do one side with right wingers and the other with liberal candidates. Your animals wouldn't know which way to turn.;)

I've made some r/c model airplanes from coroplast salvaged from political signs. You hit the areas to be glued with a torch flame and glue it with gap filling CYA glue. Makes a sturdy (but heavy) aircraft.

achtanelion
11-27-2012, 01:47 PM
Well, I usually wait for an election to get my coroplast supplies, but if you need it soon that won't work.

You might want to have a peek at the price for corrugated roofing plastic. It's available in clear, and it's designed for outdoor use.

J

Black_Moons
11-27-2012, 04:40 PM
Wow, I had no idea someone found a use for elections.
Here I thought they where just a huge waste of time to decide who gets to be head of the complaints department.

darryl
11-27-2012, 08:17 PM
Come to think of it, my last supply of coroplast came from election signs also. I have a lot of 2 ft sq pieces of the thin stuff left, but I'm almost out of the 3/8 thickness. If that thicker stuff had a uv inhibitor in it, it could almost be structural.

Evan
11-27-2012, 09:34 PM
I have a bunch of pieces of sign material up to 8' long. It's thin reflector quality aluminum on both sides laminated to coroplast. It is structural.

Tinkerer
11-27-2012, 10:21 PM
I have a bunch of pieces of sign material up to 8' long. It's thin reflector quality aluminum on both sides laminated to coroplast. It is structural.

That would be ALUMACORR pricey stuff.

The Artful Bodger
11-27-2012, 10:32 PM
Can it be painted to slow down the effects of UV?

Tinkerer
11-27-2012, 10:46 PM
Can it be painted to slow down the effects of UV?

Krylon Plasti-Kote works well. I've had corro signs in use for years.