PDA

View Full Version : Remote oil filter mount.

mike4
11-28-2012, 05:29 AM
I have a requirement that a diesel motor be fitted with a vertically mounted oil filter as opposed to the OEM idea of a sloping one which spills oil over the engine at each change .
I have seen these on the web but have not been able to purchase one in Australia as there seems to be some resistance to modifications which make life easier.
I am currently collecting the tools and materials to make a dummy cover for the existing mount with two hoses running to a remote filter ,I will use the same spin on filter LF3608 as they are easily obtained .
Has anyone come across problems caused or solved by doing this?
Thanks in advance.
Michael

NiftyNev
11-28-2012, 06:00 AM
Are you fitting this to a 1KZ-TE engine or maybe a Landcruiser 1HZ?

Nev

luthor
11-28-2012, 06:00 AM
What about this dual mount Mike?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DUAL-REMOTE-OIL-FUEL-FILTER-MOUNT-RYCO-Z9-Z169A-1030-/160843149447

Ryco also make one but I can't seem to find it on the net.

NiftyNev
11-28-2012, 06:07 AM
If it's one of the above engines then they require a hard to get M24X1.5 thread for filter. There is this ebay seller who was starting to supply the Toyota 24mm.

I own Toyota Surf which takes these and the RycoZ334 filters.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/1447elkins/m.html?hash=item3cccd7662e&item=261134706222&pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&rt=nc&_trksid=p4340.l2562

Nev

vpt
11-28-2012, 07:53 AM
Do you have a welder? An adapter can be made out of an old filter (already threaded and has a seal).

Ford did an OEM remote filter on the F150's for at least a few years. Not sure if they still have it on the new trucks.

Just remember there can be 80-100psi in whatever hoses you choose. Hydraulic hoses are the norm.

Willy
11-28-2012, 08:30 AM
The Fleetguard LF3608 filter is equipped with an M24x1.5 thread as pointed out by NiftyNev.
However rather than spend a lot of time single point threading an adapter for the remote filter or purchasing an expensive tap, and or die that you may not use again for a long time, look no further than a well equipped hydraulic supply shop.
This is a very popular size used in a lot of hydraulic applications. A fitting should be able to sourced locally, however you may have to modify it slightly for your application.

I've done a lot of remote filter installs, sometimes with an off the shelf item but more often than not with a custom made unit to suit the application. I think every automatic transmission equipped vehicle I've owned gets one for the transmission. Much more effective than the glorified sock the factory sticks in the pan and a heck of a lot easier to change when it's due.

Make sure the lines are safely routed and well tied down to prevent damage to them.

ogre
11-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Willy,are u using a car oil filter in-line the tranny cooler lines to filter tranny??Id b interested to know cause it would be easier to change and ive never heard of this being done.And i agree the stock filters suck.

CCWKen
11-28-2012, 03:39 PM
Speed shops normally carry remote kits. If it's a common filter size, they'll probably have it in stock. They come with the adapter and remote filter assembly. Some kits will come with the hose but if it doesn't, be sure to get the high-temp hose. Or you can use hydraulic hose.

Willy
11-28-2012, 03:53 PM
Yes just a conventional automotive oil filter. After pulling the pans off of a lot of automatics and seeing the amount of debris in a lot of them and nothing on the filter I started doing this about 40 years ago.

The filters on most automatic transmissions are designed to keep the big stuff out so that the hydraulics will still function. Most people are not too concerned with regular maintenance on their transmissions so an in-pan filter that gets plugged, or one that goes into bypass mode due to lack of change would be catastrophic so the OEMs have used in-pan filters that are just "adequate". Good enough to prevent a major problem but not ideal for long life.

I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time so the extra protection offered by a filter installed on the return cooler line is just extra insurance for a long trouble free life. I still retain the stock in-pan filter as insurance against large particulate matter.
I use as large a filter as possible (usually something like an older Ford or Chrysler filter because they're available everywhere and cheap) and lines to lessen any extra restriction, also keep in mind the filter has an internal bypass valve in case it becomes plugged. Although I've never seen that happen. If it does you've already got bigger problems than a filter will cure! LOL

Transmission filters, both automatic and manual have been in use on industrial equipment as long as I can remember. Actually a lot of the trucks I used to drive also had them on the rear ends. Automotive filer kits are available more now lately due to the increased complexity and cost associated with rebuilding these units. Allision transmissions on the Duramax equipped Chevys come to mind as one of the mainstream OEMs to offer a spin-on oil filter, I'm sure there are others.

mike4
11-28-2012, 05:24 PM
Yes , I am sick of cleaning oil off the engine and starter as I change the oil and filter every 5000klms which is about once a fortnight, also I only use steel hydraulic fittings which can be replaced in the field NO crimp types .
High pressure hydraulics is not new to me either I am trying to make life a bit easier .I do not frequent "speed shops " either as most would know how to treat a vehicle with respect .

I keep my vehicles for at least 1 million klms and do not abuse them in any way , a lot of people have the idea that once a vehicle has a few hundred thousand klms on the clock you just trash it , thats why I steer clear of the "experts".
Michael

dave5605
11-28-2012, 05:49 PM
Deleted..... Because OP already knows all the answers:mad:

mike4
11-28-2012, 05:57 PM
How can the filter drain back to the sump as it is mounted vertically with the threaded base on top and the body at the bottom, I am doing this to stop all possibility of draining back, and for those who are pedantic , it is possible to put a timer on the fuel cut off solenoid which prevents the engine from starting until oil pressure is built up by a pump fitted to the starter , we have done this on many truck engines so that engines last longer ,nothing worse than starting up with little or no oil in bearings.
Michael

vpt
11-28-2012, 06:44 PM
If your super paranoid you can get a electric primer pump or an accumulator bottle too.

mike4
11-28-2012, 07:06 PM
If your super paranoid you can get a electric primer pump or an accumulator bottle too.

Nothing about paranoid , I am tired of so called "mechanical experts" not being able to see that I am only trying to make my life easier and to prolong the life of the motor.
As for the availability of remote mounts for oil filters , they are not readily obtained where I am , therefore I am making one , the 24x1.5 thread is not hard to get and is around $50-00 for the die and tap.
Steel thread to spin filter onto and aluminium body for easy machining .
If i remember I will post some pic's.
I am feeling a bit bemused by people who seem to be of the assumption that I have no idea of how to go about this exercise and the fitting of remote filters somehow included the transmission.
Michael

Willy
11-28-2012, 07:16 PM
Nothing about paranoid , I am tired of so called "mechanical experts" not being able to see that I am only trying to make my life easier and to prolong the life of the motor.
As for the availability of remote mounts for oil filters , they are not readily obtained where I am , therefore I am making one , the 24x1.5 thread is not hard to get and is around $50-00 for the die and tap.
Steel thread to spin filter onto and aluminium body for easy machining .
If i remember I will post some pic's.
I am feeling a bit bemused by people who seem to be of the assumption that I have no idea of how to go about this exercise and the fitting of remote filters somehow included the transmission.
Michael

Sorry I deviated from your main topic, my fault.

If you knew all about it in the first place why bother asking?

dave5605
11-28-2012, 07:23 PM
:mad:Sorry to have offered some areas to look out for to an expert that already knows everything and then has the gall to chastise people offering up alternatives. Why did you even post in the first place?

Bill736
11-28-2012, 09:48 PM
While this doesn't necessarily answer the OP's question, be aware that some filter mountings sold for hydraulic systems have very crude bypass valves that leak too much fluid for sensitive uses. I mounted a 10 micron spin on filter on my heating oil line, downstream of the standard felt filter , (which is probably rated at more like 50 to 100 microns.) I had to close off the bypass in the mounting with a bolt , nut, and teflon washers first. The standard bypass valve was just a cone shaped piece of steel that was spring loaded against a roughly machined aluminum port in the mounting . Very sloppy design .

mike4
11-28-2012, 10:32 PM
:mad:Sorry to have offered some areas to look out for to an expert that already knows everything and then has the gall to chastise people offering up alternatives. Why did you even post in the first place?

I asked if anyone had experienced any problems with fitting a remote mounted filter setup.
Not how to do it . I thank those who replied with helpful posts as like many posts lately it was diverted off the original topic.
I am experienced with hydraulics and motors in heavy vehicles and stationary equipment as well as a few other areas , I asked a question to check if anyone had had a problem or if it solved other issues.
I am not paranoid or up myself ,just wanted some strait answers to what I thought was a simple issue and it is starting to get a bit heated .
Hopefully people will understand my original question , no offence taken or intended.
Michael

Willy
11-28-2012, 11:13 PM
Has anyone come across problems caused or solved by doing this?
Thanks in advance.
Michael

Michael, we have only the print on our screens to go by. No visual clues or inflections to pick up from one's speech. Perhaps most importantly, to the best of my knowledge at least, we are not mind readers.

When someone asks a question as fundamental as the one in the last sentence of your original post we can only surmise that we are answering a question from one who has no experience doing this conversion.
Your first post does not give anyone here any idea of you qualifications or a list of your past experiences. We only have your question to base our answers on.
So please do not bemoan the fact you are receiving answers befitting one with lesser experiences than yourself. I personally would not have expected someone with the background that you claim to have to ask this question.

The fact that in one of my posts I diverted from your question is my fault, and yes when questioned about the transmission application I chose to answer it here. Once again sorry.

It is a human trait to wonder off topic during a conversation. This isn't something that just started lately either as it as gone on here and elsewhere since day one. If you are uncomfortable with that you'll have to talk to a machine if you expect that to change.

mike4
11-29-2012, 04:54 AM
No offence taken and I didnt expect anyone to be mind readers as I am used to people giving minimum information .
As well I do not go around making a big issue of what I have done or can do , I just get on with the task presented at the time and if I can solve the problem for a customer then so be it if not I can usually find someone who can help and between us get the equipment up and running , even if it means redesigning a part or parts .
I am not someone who basks in the limelight , just around if needed .
Michael

vpt
11-29-2012, 08:50 AM
I also believe many CAT (and other machinery) trucks, loaders, excavators, etc. use remote filter mounting. I have seen people have them mounted right up by the hood so they don't have to even get under the truck, should be no drainback since there are no actual open ports to let air in unless your bearings are pretty far gone.

Now I like filters but I'm not one of those guys that puts filters (multiples) in for every fluid in a vehicle. However along with Willys idea of the trans filter some people have started installing a derale fluid thermostat in the trans lines to get the temperature up to perfect operating temp fast and keep it there all the time. Some guys mentioned seeing better mileage after the install, most just like the peace of mind. Personally I haven't done it yet but am thinking of doing it for my excursion mainly because I want to install a bigger cooler (pull lots of weight) at the same time and will have the fluid drained out of the lines. Just like gasoline engines that run most efficient and best around 200f transmissions are also designed and built and run most efficient around the 180f mark.

Some stuff here: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1196319-derale-transmission-thermostat-installation.html