PDA

View Full Version : Another Alibre question

J Tiers
11-28-2012, 11:08 PM
OK... I am up to date on "maintenance", but I am unable to find out from Alibre just exactly what that does for me......... Other programs have updates, patches, etc, which being up to date allows you to obtain and install.

Alibre doesn't make it very clear, and has not told me when I asked. Mine will expire in a while, and since it has been a negative benefit (paid, got nothing) I am not seeing any reason why I would re-up it.

Anyone KNOW if there are update privileges etc that come with maintenance?

alanganes
11-28-2012, 11:16 PM
I have gotten upgrades and periodic updates for features and bug fixes while on maintenance. Not sure I recall any recently though. When they released the 2012 version, I got the upgrade from the older (2010, I think) version for no additional cost as I had a three year maintenance thing.

J Tiers
11-28-2012, 11:23 PM
I have gotten upgrades and periodic updates for features and bug fixes while on maintenance. Not sure I recall any recently though. When they released the 2012 version, I got the upgrade from the older (2010, I think) version for no additional cost as I had a three year maintenance thing.

I probably bought originally in 2009 or maybe 2010...... no mention of any upgrades since, except at full pop new. Maybe I don't have the secret code to get into the right part of the site?

Jimmer12
11-28-2012, 11:27 PM
I probably bought originally in 2009 or maybe 2010...... no mention of any upgrades since, except at full pop new. Maybe I don't have the secret code to get into the right part of the site?

I'm pretty sure Alibre release a new version every year. Did you click on the downloads section of their website? There you can login and get the new versions and updates. There is also a spot on there to fill out a request for them to send you your login name and password incase you forgot it.

J Tiers
11-28-2012, 11:32 PM
I'm pretty sure Alibre release a new version every year. Did you click on the downloads section of their website? There you can login and get the new versions and updates. There is also a spot on there to fill out a request for them to send you your login name and password incase you forgot it.

Yes, but it didn't come up with that..... at least 2 times maybe I managed to hit site maintenance or the like....Alibre seems to sometimes change the site when they leave for the day. I'll try it later.

John Stevenson
11-29-2012, 04:26 AM
I'm due in December but I'm not renewing.
Partly personal as I used to have the basic 2D CAM but since the upgrade it says I don't have it, my VAR [ Value Added Reseller ] says it's on my list , they can see it but I can't.

He's been going to sort it for the last year. I can't see anything of value in that.

One problem I have is I don't use the program enough, most of what I need to do requires a 2D drawing or shape just to generate G code and the concept of drawing a 3D model to then generate the 2D drawing seems backwards to me IF you only want the 2D or part of it.

Small son is very good with Solid Edge, at one time he drove it for a living, but on simple work we have had competitions where I have beat him hands down, even to having the G code before he's finished the model.

Now when it gets complex or an assembly it's no contest, he wins every time but assemblies are not my bread and butter.

I posted in the other thread about Medusa personal which is completely free and I'm slowly working thru the tutorials for when Alibre finally falls over thru lack of upgrades.

Black Forest
11-29-2012, 06:28 AM
John are you saying that with your version of Alibre you cannot draw a 2D drawing without modeling it first? That seems strange to me. In Alibre 2012 I can easily make a 2d drawing only. I did it recently to send a DXF file to the laser cutter.

alanganes
11-29-2012, 06:52 AM

Odd, I don't recall doing anything special. When 2012 was released, there was lots of "fanfare" about it (37 marketing emails, etc) and I recall mention someplace, possibly on their support forum, that if one was on maintenance, they got the new version. When it was finally released I think I just logged into the "my account" section of their website and on the "downloads" page or "my account info" page it listed what I was eligible to download. As I was still covered, I got it. It may be time for you to call and see if you can bug a human there, if you can get to one.

I ended up getting some package deal for 3 years maintenance so I am covered through early 2015 (I think) and am supposed to get any new releases that come out during that time.

willmac
11-29-2012, 07:02 AM
John -
As far as I am aware, in all versions of Alibre from the very first, you have been able to make 2D drawings without any corresponding 3D model at all. Granted, this is not the way that it is intended to be used, and is probably slower than making a part first, but it works. To make such a drawing in Alibre 2012, Click on File/New/Drawing. Set up the drawing sheet size you want without any views at all. Then right click the drawing area and select Activate 2D sketch. You now have a conventional 2D drawing environment that should work exactly as you would expect. In the version that I have, 2012 Professional, you can export this drawing in all the usual Autocad formats and others.

I worked a bit with Medusa many, many years ago. It was a reasonable modeller but I don't think you are using that part. The rest of it was OK, but of its time. One good feature was that it was better oriented to British draughting practice than some of its US competitors at the time. I worked mainly with Computervision (CADDS3, 4, 4X etc) in those days and of course Medusa was tangled up in the massive contortions of CV, Prime etc that screwed up that part of the CAD/CAM world. If you weren't there, this probably doesn't mean much to you, but the impact on the automotive and aerospace sector was fairly significant.

rollin45
11-29-2012, 10:53 AM
For the last few years Alibre has released a new version every year , typically in Sept. This year the new version or " upgrade" has been a bit slower as they are supposedly concentrating on the 2D side which hasn't been all that great, and fixing problems which have been present for a while. Alibre was purchased by 3D systems this year and so now is a " public" company which limits the amount of information they can release about product upgrades etc. as the SEC considers some things of that nature to be illegal. The next version is in beta testing now, and while I am not holding my breath, I suspect it will be released fairly soon. The next version of motion is also on the verge of release, which supposedly will make some simulation better. As to how successful all of this will be remains to be seen. My maint. was due in Sept. and I figured using past years as a guide that I would get the new version, however, their delay in releasing it made that not happen. I did re-up for a couple of years as I am pretty happy with the program for my use. CAD programs are like everything else, different strokes.........

rollin'

Black Forest
11-29-2012, 11:08 AM
2013 won't be released for a few months. As for Motion the simulation program it is on hold for a while.

Norman Bain
11-29-2012, 03:05 PM
I just click the Alibre Homescreen->Help->CheckForUpdates occasionally. I have not been counting but am fairly sure there have been 2 or 3 maintenance releases to Alibre 2012during 2012. I certainly jumped quick to get the one that contained improvement to the Equations Editor.

J Tiers
11-29-2012, 10:06 PM
I may indeed need to speak to a human down there........

John Stevenson
11-30-2012, 04:00 AM
My Bad, yes you can do 2D drawings directly but the 2D part of it is a bit of a cludge.
Problem for me is and probably many others, is that I'm quite proficient with another 2D CAD package which is geared for 2D and with the use of macro's, command line etc it's very fast and efficient.

So I don't need yet another 2D package to learn. Next learning curve is going to be full 3D which will spin off the 2D drawings as a bonus and stick to a dedicated 2D package for fast work.

Whether I stick with Alibre or Medusa I don't know because it's a clear fact that there isn't one program that suits all.

Autocad seems to be the industry favourite but to be honest I cannot get on with it or any of the clones, draftsight, etc. It's not much different from the one I use but my mind set doesn't like it.

Now someone else will take to it like a duck to water and discount the one I use as not being the way they work. It's just how people are.