PDA

View Full Version : Need advise

hvydg
11-29-2012, 07:44 PM
Hi everyone. I need someone's advise that knows more about this than I do. I recently found a 12x24 lathe I want to buy. They want more for it than I really want to pay but lathes are very limited in my area. My question is it comes with a 12" Rutland rotary table vertical/horizontal. I know it doesn't fit the lathe but its included. I know it's hard to say without pics but any idea what it would be worth used. It's in pretty good shape. Just trying to justify paying more than I want to. Any help is greatly appreciated.

sasquatch
11-29-2012, 07:55 PM
First you should tell us what brand of lathe it is.

hvydg
11-29-2012, 08:07 PM
Sorry. I was just curious what the 12" Rutland rotary table would be worth.

Rosco-P
11-29-2012, 08:14 PM
Sorry. I was just curious what the 12" Rutland rotary table would be worth.

How much it's worth depends on: condition; what part of the country/world it's in; demand for a 12" import R/T in "that part of the world"; accesories (dividing plates, tailstock); etc.

lane
11-29-2012, 08:15 PM
Here is the best I can give.First I don`t know where you are . Around here machinery is few and fare between to. So first off any lathe is $1000.00 and up from their depending on what kind and size. Next how bad do you want it and is it what you really want. Next what kind of condition is it . Can you plug it in and make parts are do you have to repair and tweak it first. If you have no knowledge of one You had better get a good one first to learn on. Do you have some one that knows about this stuff close buy that can help you.
Yes I know the story well so and so got a nice one of $500.00 Well you ain`t him and besides he lives where their is machinery laying around like pecans on the ground and you said its hard to find where you are. same here.
Not trying to give you a hard time just stating some facts. Check around on E-Bay and see what lathes in your size are selling for around the country ,Not what they are listed for. Also check price of new lathes in that size . And above all do your research. Besides a rotary table 8 inches are larger is well worth $300.00 So go from their

hvydg
11-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the help. I'm going to buy the lathe. Just would like to sell the rotary table and get some of my money back. I didn't know if the rotary table was worth $50 or $500. I had no idea.

lakeside53
11-29-2012, 09:54 PM
hey hvtdg, how about a location in your profile? You could be in Australia for all we know!

hvydg
11-29-2012, 10:03 PM
hey hvtdg, how about a location in your profile? You could be in Australia for all we know!

Haha. I hear ya. Got it updated! I'm in the Deep South. Mississippi.

RussZHC
11-29-2012, 10:06 PM
Rotary tables are always all over the map in terms of cost...there can be next to no increase in cost, new, between some makers 6" and 10" models...roughly, the jump from 10" to 12" takes a price jump.
Don't know "Rutland" so...maker/mfg can certainly change the price...SIP, Troyke, Dapra(?, don't think that is correct but recall good maker name something like that) will demand more money, usually, Vertex or similar are not quite generic IMO but close...any extra feature (things like tilt are, from what I have seen, more common in larger sizes) add to value. I would question how great a value a lesser make/"import" is in the larger sizes without some of those features/details. The downside I think for you is that size is not something most home shops can use, too big, so you are now trying to sell against more industrial sellers and buyers whose wares could be better quality with desired features.