PDA

View Full Version : Precision vise

lilguy
12-02-2012, 08:02 PM
I need a precision vice for my mill, it's a grizzly 3103. The vice I ordered from them is only good for my dill press. What vise are you good folks using? Thanks

kitno455
12-02-2012, 08:19 PM
I have a Shars 440V on my slightly larger mill. It's good quality and I'm happy with it. Its 5 inches between centers on mounting holes, and 12.5 inches long. Not sure if thats too big for your machine.

allan

caveBob
12-02-2012, 08:25 PM
lilguy, I don't have a mill yet, but one place I would check for sure is Glacern: http://www.glacern.com/deals

Recently ordered an exquisite (at least to me :)) keyless chuck from them for my lathe and it is an absolute joy to use! Purdy too... anyway, noticed they have their vises still on the "Deals" page in the link.

tdmidget
12-02-2012, 11:38 PM
I need a precision vice for my mill, it's a grizzly 3103. The vice I ordered from them is only good for my dill press. What vise are you good folks using? Thanks

Vice? Drinking, womanizing, or what? If you mean vise, there are milling, grinding, drill press bench and more. If you have a drill press vise then exchange for a milling vise if possible. How did you come to have a drill press vise with a mill?

lilguy
12-03-2012, 12:14 AM
It's on my drill press now. Just asking about better quality milling vices.

tdmidget
12-03-2012, 12:19 AM
It's on my drill press now. Just asking about better quality milling vices.

the gold standard is Kurt. If you can't afford one( how can you afford not to have one?) then a clone or mutant such as Glacern is next up. Buy the best that you can. It will pay in the long run.

LKeithR
12-03-2012, 01:47 AM
the gold standard is Kurt. If you can't afford one( how can you afford not to have one?) then a clone or mutant such as Glacern is next up. Buy the best that you can. It will pay in the long run.

Amen to that...

Jaakko Fagerlund
12-03-2012, 04:02 AM
Vice? Drinking, womanizing, or what? If you mean vise, there are milling, grinding, drill press bench and more. If you have a drill press vise then exchange for a milling vise if possible. How did you come to have a drill press vise with a mill?
Yada yada, you probably complain from aluminium vs. aluminum too.

BigJohnT
12-03-2012, 07:56 AM
Just about any machine vise will be as precision as a Grizzly is. I don't know what size a G3103 is as it is not listed on the Grizzly web site... Enco (http://www.use-enco.com) has a pretty good variety of vises to choose from. For a CNC machine I would start with Glacern (http://www.glacern.com/) and work my way up to a Kurt if the machine was good enough.

John

uncle pete
12-03-2012, 12:20 PM
I don't recall what the G3103 mill is either, so I'm guessing it's one of the smaller ones. So the Kurt / Glacern types may be a bit large for your mill. You might want to look at what's normally classed as a screw less type vice/ vise. A few years ago I spent a fair amount of time trying to find a vice/ vise of this type that had proper hold down slots milled down the sides. Almost all of them only have the hold down slots in the ends. These types of vises were originally made for use on surface grinders I think, so there not really made for hogging off material. But they still work real well on the smaller mills. I did find the Accu-pro brand, and they have the side slots in them. Accu-pro specifications show there hardened and then ground to within .0002. I haven't seen anything on mine that makes me think those specifications are made up B.S. like so many of the others are. It's one of the few off shore pieces of tooling that I can and would recommend. They build them in a wide variety of sizes from a couple of inches of capability up to and maybe over 7 inches. But there about at the Kurt price or more at that size. I bought a 4" and I'm real happy with mine.

Pete

BigJohnT
12-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Oddly my "made in taiwan" toolmakers vise is end clamping only and my "made in china" toolmakers vise has both side and end clamping. I'm sure neither one has a spec LOL... but they would be as good or better than a Grizzly I'd bet. I usually toss them in the Glacern vise with an angle plate to do something odd.

John

lilguy
12-03-2012, 02:41 PM
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Vertical-Mill-w-Table-Power-Feed/G3103.

My mill is the above. Ive had it for a while and want to start using it on a regular basis.
The Grizzly mill vice I purchased is only good for drill press work. The jaws are not true and
I sent one back initially because the casting looked like a green cow pie with vice jaws stuck in it. I stopped buy Shars today and purchased a 4 inch that at least looks precision compared to the grizzly.I will work with it for a while and move up to a Kurt later.
If you all would recommend companies to deal with when purchasing tools I't would be helpful. I was a lathe operator years ago when tools were American or Japanese made, everything seems to be made in China now. I can get my Chicom machines to cut well if I have good quality measuring tools to use. All input greatly appreciated.

uncle pete
12-03-2012, 03:38 PM
Your mill is large enough to use the standard 4" Kurt style vice, the 6" is maybe a bit too large. If it were me? I'd be seriously looking at what Glacern is selling, their a great company to deal with and they have a 4" in their lineup. Since I have no idea of exactly where your located, I can't really say what's a good tool dealer for you. In the U.S. I usually order through MSC or Enco, but they may or may not have the best prices. I've got a real good and trustworthy dealer who specializes in lightly used or NOS higher end Starrett or Mitutoyo metrology equipment at pretty fair prices. Jeff Beck at Tools4cheap is somebody I can also highly recommend since I've bought from him. I've yet to read anything bad on any forum about him or his company. I can't say the same about Shars since it's rare to read anything good, so I haven't and won't buy from them just because of their reputation.

Pete

lilguy
12-03-2012, 06:35 PM
Live in Metro Chicago. Stopped by Shars, Lots of material going out of S+R dept. Some folks must be working with their tooling. Thank you all for the input, was asking if all the hand tooling ie Mitutoyo, Brown and Sharp, Starret are all Chicom stuff and is one better than another now.

uncle pete
12-04-2012, 02:16 AM
Some but certainly not all of Starrett's and Mitutoyo's equipment is being built in China. It's probably a fairly low percentage. The exact country of origin is almost pointless since the Chinese can and will build to about any specification you'd care to name at a cost. Your just not going to get the quality or accuracy at that dirt cheap price. For digital Mitutoyo is generally considered about the best around. Long Island dial indicator repair has some great and I think mostly unbiased write ups for about anything your likely to buy for measuring equipment in a home shop. Some of their statements are pretty eye opening.

Pete

oldtiffie
12-04-2012, 04:19 AM
Originally Posted by lilguy

Vice is how its spelt in UK, Australia and New Zealand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vise

Mike Hunter
12-04-2012, 05:06 PM
Well one of the best deals that I’ve found on digital calipers was from Grizzly:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-Digital-Caliper/T20257
Brown & Sharpe, mfg by Tesa in Switzerland…

lazlo
12-04-2012, 05:13 PM
Well one of the best deals that I’ve found on digital calipers was from Grizzly:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-Digital-Caliper/T20257
Brown & Sharpe, mfg by Tesa in Switzerland…

That is a great deal Mike!