PDA

View Full Version : Rotary Hammers: Hitachi DH24PF3 vs. Bosch 11255VSR BULLDOG

Fasttrack
12-04-2012, 10:50 PM
What do you guys think?

I pulled the trigger on an 18 volt hammer drill kit because it was super cheap but before I open it up, I decided to do some research. I've decided (as I suspected while at the hardware store) that the hammer drill is just too puny for what I want to do and, although I like the convenience of cordless tools, I dislike having to shell out $50 - $100 for a new battery after a couple hundred charge cycles. Therefore, I've been looking at the following two corded models of rotary hammers.

The Hitachi provides 2.5 ft-lbs of percussive energy while the Bosch only provides 2.1 ft-lbs. However, it's hard to argue against the Bulldog's reputation. Given that I won't use this on a regularly basis, I want to buy it for life, not buy a "disposable" tool. I've seen one or two reviews that mention the Hitachi coughing up a gear and squirting grease out the front. That doesn't sound too good... but I like more power!

Hitachi DH24PF3
http://menards.com/main/tools-hardware/power-tools/drills/15-16-sds-plus-rotary-hammer-3-mode-vsr-d-handle/p-1804487-c-9072.htm

Bosch Bulldog
http://menards.com/main/tools-hardware/power-tools/drills/1-sds-plus-bulldog-xtreme-rotary-hammer/p-1715484-c-9072.htm

(I've found different sources for these so that they are basically the same price: ~$150 each).

alanganes
12-04-2012, 11:02 PM
It's been a few years since I spent a lot of time on construction sites, but I recall seeing LOTS more Bosch hammer drills on job sites with all of the tradesmen than Hitachi ones. I've never used a Hitachi, used AEG's, Milwaukee, and Bosch a bunch of times. All worked great. While I have nothing definitive to back this up, I'd tend to doubt one could discern a difference between them in terms of the percussive energy.

I'm with you on the cordless stuff. Very handy, but I HATE them when the batteries finally die!

flylo
12-04-2012, 11:19 PM
I have the Bosch, bought it used with case & bits, haven't used it much only to drill wind pin holes for the hanger door but it seems to work fine.

Bob Ford
12-04-2012, 11:22 PM
Fasttrack,

When I worked construction 25+ years ago. The two that held up well was Bosch and Hilti. They were ran all day every day drilling holes in concrete. This was the underground rail in San Francisco bay area. These two brands lasted over 2,000 hrs, others crapped out in as little as 500 hrs.

If you do nothing else but look at the running weight of the two The Bosch weighs 6.7 pounds. The Hitachi weighs 5.3. This alone tells me that the Hitachi likely will crap out first.

If you plan on drilling holes in concrete larger than 5/8 inch invest in core bits for concrete. They drill faster with less strain on the equipment.

Bob

mofugly13
12-04-2012, 11:47 PM
Another vote for Bosch here. I am an electrician, and have had the same Bosch Bulldog on my truck for six years. It has drilled thousands of holes for 1/4-3/4" stud and drop in anchors. Recently I did a restaurant where I had to fish power down some hollow concrete columns. I drilled 40 holes in 7" thick concrete with a 1" bit, which is almost the biggest bit the Bulldog will handle. I didn't have a single hiccup or stutter from that tool, and I drilled one hole right after another. The Bosch was hot in my hands up near the chuck, but the last hole went just as smoothly as the rest. Go with the Bosch all the way.

Fasttrack
12-05-2012, 12:44 AM
Thanks for all the input. I was leaning towards the Bulldog anyway, just because it has such a solid reputation. If it will drill 1" holes through 7" concrete :eek: it has plenty of power to install the occasional 1/2" wedge anchor!

wierdscience
12-05-2012, 12:58 AM
Find out where they are made,if they are both made in China,then flip a coin.

Either one from experience I can say which ever you buy get a set of replacement impact parts now for when the break/wearout later.I deal in power tool parts a lot and the mfg stock time on replacement parts is getting shorter all the time even Bosch.

lakeside53
12-05-2012, 01:33 AM
I've had a 11224VSR for 15 years and beaten the living crap out of it, even drilling 50 1 inch hole 12 inches deep in one long session (way in excess of what it was designed for, but I decided to "sacrifice" it rather than pay $500 for core drilling I was quoted) - much harder on me than the drill, and that was 10 years ago. My neighbor used it to demolish a 4 store chimney - just a chisel in impact mode. Still going strong.

I've used many different Hilti and Bosch rotary hammers, some huge, others smaller (like mine). No problems ever. Last month I used a monster Hitachi - very nice.

Beazld
12-05-2012, 06:49 AM
If you are looking for a "lifetime" tool check out Metabo.
http://www.metabo.us/Product-catalog-handheld-powertools.23980+M5aaac6aedf5.0.html
Made in Germany and has 3 year warranty. Sold only thru professional distribution (not in big boxes) but a great tool and you won't be dissapointed.
There is a search on the site for local distributors

Fasttrack
12-07-2012, 07:25 PM
I have heard very good things about both Hilti and Metabo but they're out of my price range and not neccessary for a homeowner. It's not like I will use this everyday for work; it's just a handy tool that I think will get a lot of use as I move to different shops and have to install electrical, move machines, hang shelves, etc. Plus I need to do some work on my chimney including busting off the old mortar cap and replacing it. I just want something that will last in this kind of environment. I think the Bosch should be able to handle it ... but now I'm not so certain!

I ordered the Bosch and it arrived this evening. I plugged it in an nothing. Ok ... maybe the outlet is dead. I plug it into another outlet that a lamp is plugged into. Still nothing. Hmm ... maybe I missed something like a safety lock? Nope... just dead. Fiddle with the reversing plate thingy a bunch and try it in reverse in forward. Shake the tool a bit and I get a growl. Well ... after a lot of fiddling I got it to run but now it looks like there is a sparkler going off inside where the brushes are. That's surely not normal?

I contacted Amazon about a replacement. Apparently they can't do anything until Monday <sigh>

Oldbrock
12-07-2012, 07:39 PM
I bought a Bosch second hand years ago and have leant it to various neighbors and used it my self many times and it drills through concrete like it was wood. I think it will outlive my son and grandson too. Peter

lakeside53
12-07-2012, 07:44 PM
Best place to get a great deal on Bosch is CPO. Buy a "factory reconditioned (i.e. open box return).

wierdscience
12-07-2012, 09:11 PM
Out of curiosity where is it made?

Fasttrack
12-07-2012, 11:04 PM
"Assembled in Mexico"

For what its worth, all the car guys I know say the Chevy crate engines out of Mexico are always better than the ones coming out of New York. <shrug>