PDA

View Full Version : OT: Smartphone pictures and data

koda2
12-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Based on the news about the McAffee affair, smart phones load GPS locations onto images taken by the phone.

Is this true? What else is on there?

So if I take a picture of my newly-turned doodad and post it on this forum, any forum scavenger could harvest the picture and mine personal data?

koda

Harvey Melvin Richards
12-05-2012, 11:24 AM
There is exif data on most, if not all digital photos. If the camera is capable of it, it will include GPS data. The rest of the data is exposure info, zoom use, flash use, stuff like that. I eliminate or modify any GPS data on photos that I post.

BigJohnT
12-05-2012, 11:55 AM
Mine also includes the direction your facing when you take the photo along with all the exif data.

John

Jaakko Fagerlund
12-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Sure if you have GPS enabled at photo taking time AND your phone includes that information in the EXIF data. My GPS is always off unless I need it, as it consumes battery like candy and for what I know is that the information is NOT stored.

Other than that, it is quick test: Put GPS on, take a picture and check its EXIF data fields on the phone or on a computer.

danlb
12-05-2012, 12:58 PM
It's a feature that can be turned on or off. Check the camera application settings for something similar to "Store GPS location".

Dan

dp
12-05-2012, 01:01 PM
If you allow location information to be collected by your phone it will likely be used by the camera and anything else running on your phone that can exploit your location. The best example is the store clerk who walks up to you and addresses you by name based on your phone's information and apps that use that. For example there are apps that let you scan a bar code to do price comparisons while you walk up and down the aisle. That information can be forwarded to subscribers (stores) who are informed there is a shopper on the premises interested in SKUs in the store.

Social preditors use photo EXIF data embedded in on-line photos to locate the place where the image was taken. This site used to show actual images of twitter glamor snaps and google sat images of the rooftops of the bedrooms where the images were snapped from:
http://www.icanstalku.com/

It isn't an idle threat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2vARzvWxwY

Evan
12-05-2012, 04:16 PM
In Windows 7 open Windows Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer) and look at the folder with the images of interest. Right click on an image and select Properties from the menu. On the Properties sheet select the Details tab. On the Details panel select Remove Properties and Personal Information. That brings up another sheet with choices of what to remove and what to keep. Do so, apply and close the sheets. All done.

Jaakko Fagerlund
12-05-2012, 05:12 PM
If you allow location information to be collected by your phone it will likely be used by the camera and anything else running on your phone that can exploit your location. The best example is the store clerk who walks up to you and addresses you by name based on your phone's information and apps that use that. For example there are apps that let you scan a bar code to do price comparisons while you walk up and down the aisle. That information can be forwarded to subscribers (stores) who are informed there is a shopper on the premises interested in SKUs in the store.
Still requires (in most phones I've used) users permission for the app to do certain things AND the phones Internet connection should be up and running for others to get the information.

It isn't a threat, it is stupid users own fault for not RTFM.

oldtiffie
12-05-2012, 06:18 PM
If the information is in the phone or what-ever manual and people don't know about it, it rather suggests that some people don't read (or use) the manual.

If you just pick up the phone/camera with any default settings set a way you may not like it is not or may not be the fault of the camera.

oldtiffie
12-05-2012, 06:41 PM
OT: Smartphone pictures and data

Based on the news about the McAffee affair, smart phones load GPS locations onto images taken by the phone.

Is this true? What else is on there?

So if I take a picture of my newly-turned doodad and post it on this forum, any forum scavenger could harvest the picture and mine personal data?

koda

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exchangeable_image_file_format#Geolocation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exchangeable_image_file_format

dp
12-06-2012, 01:52 AM
Still requires (in most phones I've used) users permission for the app to do certain things AND the phones Internet connection should be up and running for others to get the information.

It isn't a threat, it is stupid users own fault for not RTFM.

I'm a big fan of blaming the victim, too. They just ask for it. All those silly shop nanny rules by OSHA and other safety agencies are just a lot of crap. If someone gets wrapped around the chuck of their 10EEE and their bowels spill out onto the shop floor for a couple hours after the crew has gone home then right - how stupid. That is what the book is for. Clumsy idiots didn't RTFM. Bin the bastids. Darwin at work, right?

Jaakko Fagerlund
12-06-2012, 03:26 AM
I'm a big fan of blaming the victim, too. They just ask for it. All those silly shop nanny rules by OSHA and other safety agencies are just a lot of crap. If someone gets wrapped around the chuck of their 10EEE and their bowels spill out onto the shop floor for a couple hours after the crew has gone home then right - how stupid. That is what the book is for. Clumsy idiots didn't RTFM. Bin the bastids. Darwin at work, right?
Nice comparison, except not 1:1, as phones & cameras don't kill people with their settings.