X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • the kid
    • Aug 2010

1891 Argintine Mauser won't eject?

I'm not sure if this is a problem or not, but I was testing feeding and ejecting with some ammo I got, there is several differing kinds from various makers dating from 1928 to 1978, most being made in the 30s and 40s, it feeds and extracts fine but the ejector seems to slip over the edge of the cartridge leaving it hanging on the bolt face, once in a while it will kick one out, is it meant to do this because the cartridge hasn't been fired, or do I need to do some adjusting of the ejector so it more positively engages the head of the cartridge?

Also, yes the ammo was all live, however there is no safety concern as the firing pin is not installed in the gun, I wouldn't ever test an action with live ammo exept at a firing range, in this case I have no dummy's for this caliber, the firing pin had been removed and the muzzle was pointed in a safe direction just in case.
  • rdhem2
    • Oct 2012

No problem guy- you just aren't violent enough!!!
    Controlled feed works as follows-the round is stripped from the magazine. The rim slides behind the EXTRACTOR claw in front of the bolt face. The round continues forward into the chamber. The bolt lugs engage the locking lugs and the rifle is then in battery ready to fire. If you fire or not makes no difference. Lifting the bolt handle disengages the bolt and barrel locking lugs. The bolt is withdrawn sharply to the rear with the cartridge rim captured by the EXTRACTOR and hangs on the bolt face so to speak. When drawn far enough rearward the EJECTOR swings into position striking the rear of the cartridge and flipping it out of the action. Push bolt forward and start the whole slow mess all over again. Option: purchase an M1 Garand from the CMP and let the genious of Mr. Garand automate everything for you.-----Just a thought!
    From the State of Lemmings, where three counties out of twenty-seven call the shots.

Comment

• the kid
      • Aug 2010

I have tried withdrawing the bolt softly and violently and everywhere in between, the ejector pops out and hits the head of the cartridge but rather than kick it out of the gun the ejector slips off the head of the cartridge and back in to its slot in the receiver leaving the bullet hanging on the bolt face, my thinking is that I may need to file an angle on the end of the the ejector so that it won't be cammed away by the cartridge head, my other idea about it is that it might work fine ejecting an empty case but the added weight of having a bullet and powder still in the case it isn't kicking out like it should, my bullet puller is at a family members house right now so I haven't been able to test that theory yet.

Comment

• JCHannum
        • Nov 2001

Regardless of how smartly the bolt is operated, the ejector should strip the cartridge from the extractor, not slip back under the head of the cartridge. Do the usual maintenance/cleaning of the ejector to make sure it is not gunked up and is making its full travel.

If that fails, it might be worn to the extent that it cams itself back. Does it look like one of these?

Jim H.

Comment

• the kid
          • Aug 2010

I'm not sure, I haven't removed it yet, but if a worn out ejector is the case the part looks easy enough to make, I'm away from the gun for a little while as my garage is a few miles away from my home, but I will disassemble it and inspect it in a few days, and will let you know what I find

Comment

• the kid
            • Aug 2010

I should also add that the ejector does seem to be making its full travel, and that it is not slipping behind the head but over the head and rests on the side of the cartridge, practically holding the case to the bolt face and extractor, this is the reason I think that changing the profile on the end of the ejector might solve the problem of it being cammed away by the case head

Comment

• Frank46
              • Jun 2011

Your extractor is either chipped or damaged. The ejector is inside the bolt release. Try liberty tree collecting they usually have most of the 1891 parts for sale. Frank

Comment

• rdhem2
                • Oct 2012

At this point I now agree your ejector is the culprit. The ejector is stored so to speak, in the rectangular housing on the left side under the bolt release. When the bolt is drawn back, it, by spring pressure, slides in a groove along the bolt side and must extend fully out into the bolt raceway to get behind the cartridge head to incur ejection. Is something, like a burr, crud, etc, preventing the ejector from coming to full extension? The problem could be behind the screw that serves as the pivit also. Anything preventing the full free movement. You can check it out five times in the same amount of time it takes to read this if you know what to look for. But even a small chip in the tab that is the spring pressure point on the ejector could be the problem. Frank46 is on track.
                Remove the bolt. Remove the bolt stop. Replace the ejector and its pivot screw only. Does it flop back and forth fully in and out of the receiver groove into the bolt raceway.
                Last edited by rdhem2; 12-08-2012, 09:56 AM. Reason: SPELLING/GRAMMER
                From the State of Lemmings, where three counties out of twenty-seven call the shots.

Comment

• rdhem2
                  • Oct 2012

Another thought.

I don't know about the 1891's but some Mausers have problems ejecting loaded rounds. The bolt extracts them fine but the very tip of the bullet nose strikes the receiver bridge and the round falls back into the receiver of fall on the ground appearing to not having been properly ejected. Please excuse my writing I should proof read better. Nothing unusual here, fingers way faster than brain!

Comment

• the kid
                    • Aug 2010

Thank you, I will check on the gun tonight and report back, the ejector from what I saw did appear to make its full travel, but I will re-inspect it tonight and remove the bolt stop/ejector assy. to inspect the problem further, I'll post later to let u know what I find, and will try to post some pictures

Comment

• the kid
                      • Aug 2010

Also the rounds do clear the opening in the receiver, the same round will fail several times to eject but then it will, this is leading me so far to suspect a worn ejector

Comment

• the kid
                        • Aug 2010

So I took another look at the gun today and the ejector was sticking, but now for some reason the magazine will hold the 5 cartridges it is supposed to, but upon loading the second round it is throwing out an extra 1 or 2 from the magazine causing double feeds or just tossing them out of the action so either the spring is to strong or the feed lips need some adjustment, I didn't have a lot of time to mess with it tonight, I'll fully disassemble everything when my new firing pin gets here and work out all these little quirks.

Comment

• Frank46
                          • Jun 2011

Ok stand back, take a deep breath and relax. I have a few 1891 argentine mausers and actually my first real high powered rifle was one I paid a whopping $20 bucks for and was delivered to my house. This was in NY many years ago. To take off the extractor get a small screwdriver and put the blade under the lip of the extractor. Push in and you will see the extractor move out and away from the bolt body. At the same time you are pushing out try lifting up. Hopefully the years of dirt,grease and dried out gunk will allow you to remove the extractor out of its slot on the bolt. Carefully clean the extractor checking for any chips or damage to the slot in the extractor. Also clean the recess where the extractor was initially installed. I have seen these extractors have chips out of them. If your does get a new one. Don't waste your time and temper futzing with the old one. Now the magazine chucking out the loaded rounds. The follower assembly is made up in two pieces clean them. If your magazine has a large screw on the right side (going from memory here) remove this screw. This will allow you to also remove the bottom section of the magazine. On this piece there should be a piece of curved metal that attaches by being in a slot in the bottom piece you took out. Sometimes when the magazine fails to properly push up the cartridges it usually means that the curved piece has lost its tension. Quick fix was to bend it a little more but then you get the belching of rounds from the mag as you have stated. Get a new one. Also, check your mag feed lips as sometimes they have been messed with (bubba goes back a long way) They should be paralell to each other.
                          While you have the mag apart get a toothbrush or two and scrub the insides with some hoppe's. Use patches to remove any and all junk, dried grease and dirt. You'd be suprised at the junk that might be in there after 120 years. The cabin tree site is a good place to get your parts. I have heard of no complaints about them. I have three shooters, two 1891 long rifles that were sporterized and a 1891 engineers carbine. The carbine I call thumper when shooting the Privi Partisan 180 grain softpoint. If you can swing the dough get a spare mag complete. Why?, they ain't making new ones. I've bought a couple bubba'd 1891's for parts. Even got one with chipped extractor and a crack on the face of the bolt. Hope this helps. Ok forgot one thing. when using the screwdriver pushing out and up on the extractor you really have to push out hard. There is a round projection on the underside of it that fits into a corresponding hole in the extractor recess. And when putting the new one back in look how the tail of the extractor is designed. Sort of a tounge and groove design. When you have the extractor almost all the way in, turn the bolt upside down and place the front of the bolt on a hard surface. Push down while using the screwdriver to push the front end of the extractor away from the bolt. When you get it right it will snap into place. Another way which might be easier is to hold the bolt in your left hand with the screwdriver pushing the extractor away from the bolt and tap on the top of the extractor with a soft hammer,no steel hammer here. It should slide into place then click. When done there should be nothing proud of the bolt meaning the extractor. Its curved same as the bolt. Hope this helps. Frank

Comment

Working...
                          X