PDA

View Full Version : What tool steel are wood auger bits made of?

lowcountrycamo
12-06-2012, 06:27 PM
I ended up with at box of wood auger bits all the same size. Was going to 'bin' them but I thought I might cut off the shanks and put them in the tool steel box for future use. I have seen the How It's Made show about these bits; they are forged flat and spun into a spiral and they show an oil quinch HT but do not get specific. My bits have some hardness but can still file which is a good thing for a construction worker. Thanks.

Jaakko Fagerlund
12-06-2012, 06:54 PM
They could be just about anything, high carbon steel, 1.2510 cold working steel, silver steel (a.k.a. drill rod) or just about anything.

I just say they are made of toolnium if they work :)

SGW
12-07-2012, 09:25 PM
Most likely mid- to high-carbon steel. Nothing fancy. If I had to guess I'd say 0.45% carbon steel. Enough to harden, while still low enough for toughness.

J Tiers
12-07-2012, 09:55 PM
Can't be too hard, many of the ones I have, I can sharpen with a file.

sasquatch
12-07-2012, 10:02 PM
Agreed, they sell an auger bit file just for that.

lbhsbz
12-07-2012, 11:05 PM
don't scrap 'em or cut 'em up...if they're sorta sharp, they work great on aluminum.....kinda like most every woodworking cutter. I have one I used to make a 1" counterbore last night in a huge piece of a 3/4" 6061 plate that I didn't feel like fixturing in the mill....ate about 1/2" of the plate in 30 seconds with my battery drill.

Wood boring bits are awesome.