PDA

View Full Version : Forum Issue......Or Maybe It's Me?

rode2rouen
12-08-2012, 12:06 AM
The previous iteration of this forum had a little green dot icon that would show up to the left of the thread title if it was a thread I had originated or responded to. The "updated" version does not seem to have this feature, and I don't see any way of activating it.

Am I not looking in the right place?
Does this version of the message board not support it?

Rex

CCWKen
12-08-2012, 12:32 AM
It shows up as a green circle with a check mark in it in front of Views and Replies. You do have to be signed on to see it though.

lakeside53
12-08-2012, 12:56 AM
It's in your general settings - you need to turn it on (subscriptions, I chose "through my control panel only"), and... it's now appears as a green dot on the right.

dp
12-08-2012, 02:17 AM
When the new BBS software was installed there was a small icon on the left that indicated threads you participated in. There was some whining about colors and busyness and it so that icon was unified such that all variations of that icon were replaced with a single icon - kind of a unisex one size fits all. This now tells you only that new threads are available since your previous visit, or since an internal BBS timer has expired as might happen if you are reading a long thread. Before the sex change it would tell you in a single icon that there were new message and topics (threads) you posted in. When you get to the top level (General) you will see an indication of new posts since you started reading that thread.

I think the unisex icon takes away too much useful information - there is only one way to know what threads you've posted in recently now and that is to query (click on) your own login name and have it show your posts.

Barrington
12-08-2012, 09:06 AM
It shows up as a green circle with a check mark in it in front of Views and Replies. You do have to be signed on to see it though.That's actually the indication that you have subscribed to the thread, rather than posted in it.

I just subscribe automatically to every thread I post in by setting the option:-

Settings / General Settings / Default Thread Subscription Mode: -> 'Instantly, using email'

(I think probably any option other than 'Do not subscribe' will also do what's required.)

Cheers

George Bulliss
12-08-2012, 10:29 AM
That's actually the indication that you have subscribed to the thread, rather than posted in it.

I just subscribe automatically to every thread I post in by setting the option:-

Settings / General Settings / Default Thread Subscription Mode: -> 'Instantly, using email'

(I think probably any option other than 'Do not subscribe' will also do what's required.)

Cheers

This will work to get the indication of threads posted in. If you don't want to get the email along with it, select "in control only" from the subscription choices.

rode2rouen
12-08-2012, 12:13 PM
................there is only one way to know what threads you've posted in recently now and that is to query (click on) your own login name and have it show your posts.

dp, thanx for the reply, that's what I needed to know. I think it's kinda stoopid to have to do that, but I don't own the board, so I don't get to set the parameters.

Rex

George Bulliss
12-08-2012, 12:45 PM
dp, thanx for the reply, that's what I needed to know. I think it's kinda stoopid to have to do that, but I don't own the board, so I don't get to set the parameters.

Rex

I agree it's a pain to do that, but you don't have to. As the previous two posts mention, you can go to your Settings/General Settings/Default Thread Subscription Mode/ and then select “through my control panel only” from the five choices in the menu window.

This will set things up so that a green ball with a check mark in it will appear to the replies column of any thread you have posted in.

The envelope icons where changed from the default due to lots of complaints about their size, look, etc. While the change was exactly what the users asked for, the custom icon does not have, and cannot have, the features of the default. So, the posted-in notice will no longer work, but if you follow the instructions I mention above you will get the same functionality, only in a slightly different location.

dp
12-08-2012, 01:35 PM
That just indicates you are subscribed to a thread regardless if you have posted to it or not. If you are autosubcribed to any thread you post to then that is just a coincidence, but you lose the indicator as soon as you unsubscribe.

rode2rouen
12-08-2012, 10:57 PM
I agree it's a pain to do that, but you don't have to. As the previous two posts mention, you can go to your Settings/General Settings/Default Thread Subscription Mode/ and then select “through my control panel only” from the five choices in the menu window.

This will set things up so that a green ball with a check mark in it will appear to the replies column of any thread you have posted in.

Thanx, George, that works well enough.
Now, how do I go direct from log in to the forum page without having to click through the "What's New" screen?
I'm going to the forums to find out what's new, I don't need the Reader's Digest version.

Rex