X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • metalmagpie
    • Oct 2002

got some old drawer units that used to hold fasteners at Lowes

The shop is getting real cluttered again. I hate it when it gets like that! The solution is simple - a place for everything, everything in its place. However, this is real tough when you don't have places for things!

My solution was to build the 8 drawer units into a pair of workbenches. I did the steel fabrication and design, and Lakeside53 was kind enough to help me with the bench tops, he being an expert woodworker.

There's still a bit of sheet metal to straighten here and there, and some magic marker numbering to clean off and the like, but then it will be all ready to move in. A bit over sixteen feet of new workbench space with 56 big drawers to store things in, and 11" of clearance underneath to store things like my chain saw, my floor jack, and about twenty toolboxes.

I couldn't quite shoot the right pic to get all of both workbenches in. Maybe later, anyway you'll get the idea ..

• BigJohnT
    • Sep 2012

You SUCK!

Nice Score!

John
    My Web Site

Comment

• sasquatch
      • May 2006

Wow!! Great looking bench,,, a great project you guys!!

Great find/purchase!!

Comment

• Bob Fisher
        • Jan 2006

I am TOTALLY jealous! My bench top has never looked as clean as that exept for the day it was finished. If those are the drawers I'm thinking , they are comparable to a Lista and will open and close even with a load. Great score, bob.

Comment

• KiddZimaHater
          • May 2007

How did you score those?
          Was LOWE'S having an auction, or were they piled into the dumpster out back?

Comment

• lakeside53
            • Nov 2007

LOL.. I "predict" that within a month or two you won't be able to see the bench tops; Metalmagpie and Sir John share a few things in common

In the sea of metal swarf and rust, woodworking again was therapeutic .

2 layers of 3/4 MDF glued togther with Tight Bond 3, 1.5" x 1.5" recycled (my old staircase from 25 years ago) red oak edge glued on with marine epoxy, 5 coats of Spar varnish over everything. Overkill for sure, but what the heck.

Last edited by lakeside53; 12-10-2012, 09:15 PM.

Comment

• Toolguy
              • Jan 2010

Wow! Great job guys! Good drawers are the best storage of all. Keep them closed at all times when not getting something out or putting it away and you will always have nice storage free of metal chips and other dirt.
              Kansas City area

Comment

• Mcgyver
                • Mar 2005

what a great set up, way to go!
                located in Toronto Ontario

Comment

• metalmagpie
                  • Oct 2002

Originally posted by KiddZimaHater View Post
                  How did you score those?
                  Was LOWE'S having an auction, or were they piled into the dumpster out back?
                  I bought them from a guy who was on the crew that did the remodel at Lowes. Exactly how he got them I don't know. It was a craigslist deal last July. Think I paid about $37.50 each for the drawer units. Whole project was right around $500. And I *know* I can sell each bench for a lot more than that! :-)

metalmagpie

Comment

• Machine
                    • Dec 2011

Hey wow, finally some Lowes slung drawers that actually look good!

Comment

• davidh
                      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by BigJohnT View Post
                      You SUCK!

Nice Score!

John

what big john said. . . . . .

Comment

Working...
                      X