PDA

View Full Version : Shars power feed

Boostinjdm
12-11-2012, 10:23 PM
So I'm putting together my want list for the end of the year. It occurred to me that I would really like a power feed on the knee of my Jet JTM-1 (bridgeport clone). Then I saw the prices on the shars units and thought it would be nice to have a power feed on the Y axis as well.

Does anyone here have experience with the shars power feeds?

macona
12-11-2012, 10:56 PM
I bought a shars power feed at Laika. The thing lasted about 2 months. Tried getting them to send me parts to repair it and never got the right parts. Finally just bought a Servo.

v860rich
12-11-2012, 11:09 PM
I've had a Shar's power feed on my X axis for about 5 yrs. I bought it along with their Sino DRO. DRO has never had a hic-cup but the power feed did.
One call got it fixed and it's never had a problem since.
Gets used about every day in a HSM enviroment.
I have a Servo on my other mill and it's messed up right now!!!

THANX RICH

Boostinjdm
12-11-2012, 11:11 PM
How long ago and what part failed? I've got power feed on the x axis already that says JET on it and is working fine. I figured it would be the same as the shars, but don't know for sure.
The Servo units I've seen are over twice the price of the imports. I guess if it doesn't work than you aren't saving anything...

Any other options out there.

Boostinjdm
12-13-2012, 12:11 AM
Anybody have the "Servo Dynamo"? Looks like an import built to Servo's specs and imported by them. Says so on Servo's site. It appears to be a "middle of the road" option and I have a hard time believing Servo would put their name on junk.

Bill Pace
12-13-2012, 09:47 AM
Shars line of power feeds is "Align" - they are on ebay shown as "discount machine"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150-LBS-Y-TRAVEL-POWER-FEED-BRIDGEPORT-MILLING-MACHINE-/330339982013?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ce9cc1abd

and all parts are available at --

http://www.bestlinepro.com/power-feed-parts.asp

Another line of PFs is "Asong" and while it appears identical to the 'Align' some parts wont interchange.

There was a period 4-5 years ago when the potentiometers would fail quickly on all Chinese units, and replacement was a bit of a pill, but that seems to have been corrected and I havent seen any complaint posts in some time.

I have had 3 of the 'Align' units for some 5 years and Lane also has had 3 for some 5 years.

Boostinjdm
12-16-2012, 10:39 PM
I guess I'll be the first to review a Servo Dynamo power feed. I ordered one for the knee yesterday.

lazlo
12-16-2012, 10:42 PM
I guess I'll be the first to review a Servo Dynamo power feed. I ordered one for the knee yesterday.

I have one. They're made in Taiwan, pretty much the same shells as the USA Servo, and and they're much nicer than the generic Chicom power feeds.

The big bummer about the Dynamo is they don't have the power feed lever -- they use a green knob, but you get used to it...

By the way, I bought mine from Penn Tool co, on one of their rare 10% off coupon days. I think MSC carries them too.

Boostinjdm
12-16-2012, 10:48 PM
I saw the green knob deal and I'm alright with that. Being on the knee, it's going to be used mostly for boring deep holes. I've got several engines I'd like to take a crack at. All of the bores are deeper than the quill travel.