PDA

View Full Version : getting a Jacops '42102 tapping chuck off

Black Forest
12-12-2012, 12:12 PM
I have a reversing tapping head with a Jacops #42102 chuck. I would like to take it off. Is there a standard mounting system on them or??? I would like not to break the chuck being as I am a clumsy bastard farmer!

JCHannum
12-12-2012, 01:45 PM
They are attached with a standard Jacobs taper and can be removed with wedges as a Jacobs drill chuck, or be dis-assembled and driven off either by tapping the hole in the shank and using a jackscrew to remove or driving off with a punch.

However, be aware they are often pinned to the Jacobs Taper. Look closely at the top of the chuck for signs of a cross pin in this area.

Black Forest
12-12-2012, 03:11 PM
There is no pin in the top cross hole. So If I took a punch and put it in the end of the chuck (all parts removed) on the end of the shaft that comes out of the tapping head and hit the punch with a BFH it should pop out? Is it not a good idea to heat the chuck a little bit first?

JCHannum
12-12-2012, 03:32 PM
If hammer is applied, it might pop out. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. The JT can be incredibly tight at times, resisting all means of removal. Tapping the hole and using a jackscrew is usually the most successful, non-destructive, means of dismantling.

The side of the chuck has a large hole that provides a view of the nuts that clamp the flats of the tap. Above that, there is a hole for a split pin that retains the nuts from falling out. This is not the pin I am referring to. There sometimes is a larger pin in the vicinity of the tapered shoulder of the chuck, through the JT itself. This is often blended into the body of the chuck, making it difficult to detect.

Black Forest
12-12-2012, 03:46 PM
If hammer is applied, it might pop out. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. The JT can be incredibly tight at times, resisting all means of removal. Tapping the hole and using a jackscrew is usually the most successful, non-destructive, means of dismantling.

The side of the chuck has a large hole that provides a view of the nuts that clamp the flats of the tap. Above that, there is a hole for a split pin that retains the nuts from falling out. This is not the pin I am referring to. There sometimes is a larger pin in the vicinity of the tapered shoulder of the chuck, through the JT itself. This is often blended into the body of the chuck, making it difficult to detect.

I am referring to the hole that would have a roll pin to secure the taper. I measured the depth of each hole on either side and they go to the taper. I don't how I would use a jackscrew to push the chuck off. sorry.

Black_Moons
12-12-2012, 05:04 PM
Last drill chuck I had to get off a JT taper did not survive the process. Also screwed up another tool in the process.

Do you *REALLY* need to get it off?
JT taper seems to love to rust solid since its not removed very often. That and people like to initialy hammer it on.

Black Forest
12-15-2012, 09:16 AM
Last drill chuck I had to get off a JT taper did not survive the process. Also screwed up another tool in the process.

Do you *REALLY* need to get it off?
JT taper seems to love to rust solid since its not removed very often. That and people like to initialy hammer it on.

I want to put a Bilz quick change chuck on the tapping head.

JCHannum
12-15-2012, 10:31 AM
Do the Bilz chucks come with JT mounts? I am not aware of that if they do.

Give it a try with a hammer & punch on the JT adaptor through the hole in the chuck. If you have a bearing seperator to support the chuck, it will help. If not use a couple of stout pieces of steel under the shoulder of the chuck to support it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/large-bearing-separator-3979.html