PDA

View Full Version : RJH Trim Tool diamond grinder

Mcgyver
12-13-2012, 10:55 AM
I picked up this diamond grinder the other day, seemed like the right thing to do at the time :D (got a nice Christen drill grind as well :D ). pics I found on the web, they're not of my machine but of the same model:

http://www.cottandco.com/media/lot/dc0f1e6dd3af5f14e6f85a80f36b8f04972f16f5.jpg
http://www.cottandco.com/media/lot/522e9fb8efe59c5520106564029adcc11fab8c6e.jpg

Anyone know this machine? I'm puzzled by what seems like a large reservoir under the business end - could it be for water as in wet grinding or maybe just fill with water to catch the carbide swarf?. There is no drain and it is a high speed grinder so even with the shields I'd guess it would make a mess wet....but it seems that reseviour must be there for some reason...and you're not going to dip carbide in water to cool it...so what's the story on this?

thanks

Scottike
12-13-2012, 11:25 AM
Isn't that a drain plug on the center front of the tank?
My guess is that someone added the diamond wheel for carbide
and it originally used a conventional aluminum oxide or silicone carbide
wheel.
Nice find!

edit: It appears that there is also an overflow hole in the front to keep
the coolant level below the bottom of the wheel.

Mcgyver
12-13-2012, 11:45 AM
Scott, I was being lazy not photographing mine and worst still didn't notice the plugs in the links i found. Mine doesn't have those plugs and my links led you astray, sorry.

I don't know that is was OEM diamond for carbide, but I've been led to believe it....Vendor calls it a carbide grinder and every image i can find on the web has it similarly with a diamond wheel. granted not a certainty, but goods hints toward it.

The wheel projects about half way into the reservoir. Trying to think like its designer, if it was just a handy a reservoir for water for cooling steel etc on a regular wheel, why would you have the reservoir extend back to include the wheel where it would be so easy for the wheel be submerged?

Scottike
12-13-2012, 11:53 AM
Good point about the reservoir being back far enough to reach the wheel.
Maybe it wouldn't be as messy as it appears?

Mcgyver
12-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Good point about the reservoir being back far enough to reach the wheel.
Maybe it wouldn't be as messy as it appears?

if no one pipes up who knows I'll give it a try. it would be a nice feature as I dislike the idea of grinding carbide dry as there are health issues with cobalt dust (maybe worrying about nothing given the amount I'd be doing it, but like to err on the side caution with health risks)

lane
12-13-2012, 09:14 PM
Dam I going to die been breathing carbide dust and every thing else for years .Plus been soaked with just about every chemical known to be used in a machine shop . O well can`t live for ever . When my number get punched some one will get some nice tools.

Mcgyver
12-13-2012, 09:44 PM
Dam I going to die been breathing carbide dust and every thing else for years .Plus been soaked with just about every chemical known to be used in a machine shop . O well can`t live for ever . When my number get punched some one will get some nice tools.

so that aside, any idea whether this is supposed to run with water contacting the wheel? :D

Toolguy
12-14-2012, 12:35 AM
My guess is that it was made for the wheel to go into water, judging by the generous shroud over the top of the wheel. Running in water, it would sling enough off to have a continuous stream going from the wheel cover back into the main pool. I would check to make sure everything electric is properly grounded and maybe install a ground fault outlet before using.

Arcane
12-14-2012, 01:06 AM
My guess is that it was made for the wheel to go into water, judging by the generous shroud over the top of the wheel. Running in water, it would sling enough off to have a continuous stream going from the wheel cover back into the main pool. I would check to make sure everything electric is properly grounded and maybe install a ground fault outlet before using.What about the water that would be slung off through the large openings in the shroud making a huge mess in the process? http://www.cottandco.com/media/lot/dc0f1e6dd3af5f14e6f85a80f36b8f04972f16f5.jpg

EVguru
12-14-2012, 06:41 AM
This one from the same site seems to be set up with a coolant feed.

http://www.cottandco.com/lots/rjh-trim-tool-pedestal-lapping-machine

Toolguy
12-14-2012, 10:45 AM
Don't know Arcane. That is certainly a reasonable question. Just have to try it and see how it goes. Might have to cover those gaps with duct tape.

michigan doug
12-14-2012, 04:40 PM

1. It's possible Lane is letting you know that moderate or minor exposure to said grinding products may not be as big a risk as some sources have reported. He's still alive and kicking. Not that you should ignore safety issues of course, but that you should find comfort in the fact that he already did the experiment and it's turned out all right for him.

2. Lane, if you don't have a designated heir, I'd like to apply for the position...

Finest regards,

doug