PDA

View Full Version : OT web images truncated

ptjw7uk
12-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Hi All any web gurus out there.
On some web pages some of the images are truncated, in that there is only part of the image shown the rest is greyed out.
Not that bothered as most are only adverts but curious to know if I have aproblem or they do!

Not seen it on this site must have good programmers!!
Peter

Paul Alciatore
12-13-2012, 02:36 PM
One of the problems here is modern cameras with 16, 20, or even more megapixels. Most of today's computer screen will have between 1000 and 2000 pixels in the horizontal direction. Most web sites will display the pictures in a native resolution which means that one pixel in the photo will be displayed by one pixel on the screen. A horizontal format picture that is about 1600 pixels wide by 1200 pixels high is about 2 megapixels in overall area. So a 2 megapixel photo will be about the largest one that will display on a fairly large computer screen without cropping or the need to scroll to see all of it. Actually a smaller size is better since many computers have smaller displays. But people take 16 megapixel photos and even larger and then use them on the web. They simply do not fit.

Vertical format photos are even more problematic as the vertical resolution (pixel count) of almost all screens is lower than their horizontal resolution.

The answer is that these larger photos must be scaled down to one or two megapixel size before posting them on a web page. A good size that will fit on most screens would be about 800 x 600 pixels (about 1/2 megapixel) size. Programs like Photoshop, Microsoft Paint, Paint.net, and many, many others can do this scaling. I do this on a regular basis. Also, Photobucket will rescale photos posted there.

CCWKen
12-13-2012, 03:17 PM
Good explanation but has nothing to do with the problem.

I used to see this problem back when I was on dialup. A server would seem to timeout on large files. It could be a limit imposed by the ISP but who knows. No mention of the web explorer or the site where the problem shows up.

dp
12-13-2012, 05:08 PM
One of the problems here is modern cameras with 16, 20, or even more megapixels. Most of today's computer screen will have between 1000 and 2000 pixels in the horizontal direction.

My Canon camera takes pictures that are 72" wide if printed full size.

There are some css/javascript features that will dynamically limit the display size of the image to what ever the layout will allow. This prevents the image from bleeding onto adjacent content in the page, or creating awkward word wrapping as a result of the user's browser size.

This site will rescale the layout if you increase your browser window size. Other sites will maintain a maximum presentation window size regardless of the browser size, and everything has to fit in it or you will have to scroll left/right. If the image is too wide for the allowed viewport then the image may become cropped by the browser. Other css with javascript options can fade the edge of of one or two sides to gray to indicate it is too big to fit. Generally clicking the image will expand it to full size in a new layer.

Not to say bad HTML isn't to blame, though. That happens quite a lot too.

ptjw7uk
12-15-2012, 06:45 AM
I'm using IE9 and one of the pages is http://www.findmypast.co.uk/ at the bottom of the page is an advert for 'Findmypast TV show' of which only half is displayed! It even happens on images that are supposed to show enlrged when you click on them!
Peter

Barrington
12-15-2012, 07:18 AM
It may sound odd, but try resetting your modem/router.

Cheers

Lew Hartswick
12-15-2012, 11:01 AM
I just took a look at your link,

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/

And it displayed fine all the way down to the bottom. I had to scroll about
2 vert pages of my display.
Ah another genealogist. Any thing I can do for you here?
...lew...

ptjw7uk
12-16-2012, 04:55 AM
Thanks for the offer Lew but I think I am at the point of giving up as just no clues as to where the family arrived from!!
All 18th century info is so sparse mostly guess work unless you can find the family bible!

Peter